• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brownboystoys OFFLINE  

brownboystoys

• Member No: 6127
  • 107 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 08:38 PM

hello looking for fertilizer attachmet or complete planter for david bradley tractor. Does not have to have hitch. I am Looking becauce I have one and it is the same as bolens used behind the ride a matic tractors. Any help is appreciated.

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 08:59 PM

I have the same Bolens unit. These seeders were made by Danville Manufacturing in Danville, IL. There not a DB seeder, its just that DB is where you see the most of them. Over the yrs i have found pictures on the net of one for a Cub Cadet, a fraizer tiller, a simplicity walker, and some others. I have owned or sold off ones for the simplictiy, DB, and Bolens. The seeders ussally bring a fair high price, and the seed plates twice or three times what the seeders go for. Some where around here i have a copy of the orginal patend. They were introduced in 1935 by J C Raucher, of NY. Unfortunatly by the time the patend was granted, WWII came by and all garden tractor stuff went into the war effort, but seeder came out in 1946 for the DB tractor as a hanging unit, made by someone i havent been able to id yet. By 1950 it was being built in Danville, and apparently they built for all. All one needs to do is have the correct hitching parts. Funny thing about them is the holes for the DB tag are drilled in all the units, the bolens tag ussally goes on the hitch itself.
  • brownboystoys said thank you

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 09:12 PM

lauber, you just reminded me, when did DB come out with the fertilizer attachment on the seeder, the handiman ?, don't mean to highjack the thread, this is a question of mines also regarding the bolens seeders also,

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 09:41 PM

I dont have an exact date for that, but the hanging one didnt offer any.
The prewar Handiman tractors used a differnt seeder unit made by Columbia. It used a round hopper with a small disc under it that you turned to get more or less. Those are real hard to find complete, as the fert eat up most of the ones you see. It will also eat at the more moderen ones, where the axil for the auger is. I ussally have trouble with mine where the bearing are on the sides. Dont seem to matter how much i clean it out. Im working towards making one from SS, to solve some of these problems.

There are also a whole series of walk-behind push seeders based on the same unit as the tractor used. These came out in several brand names like Farm Master and DB branded tags. They just have a second wheel in the front to hold it up. Used the same plates and fert attachments. You find them with both wooden and pipe handels.
  • trowel said thank you

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 10:36 PM

i was hoping someone figured out the date or the original builder, still looking, the fert. is hard on metal for shure, ss should solve that, looking forward to that build with much anticipation,

#6 brownboystoys OFFLINE  

brownboystoys

• Member No: 6127
  • 107 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for the information. If you come across another planter give me a yell. I am looking to make a two row planter to put behind my 1956 Bolens Ride A Matic. Also looking for manual for the planter. Thanks Jody Brown

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 07:42 AM

Also looking for manual for the planter. Thanks Jody Brown

If it's the same planter/fertlizer that was used on the Tri-Trac I have a manual and can upload it . Al

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 05:58 PM

I know the date of the orginal seeder, it applied for on dec 30 1938, patented om nov 17 1942, by Joseph C Rauscher, of Springwater NY. The patented one is a little differnt than the final one, as it was made to be a walk-behind seeder/cultivator. I cant find anything on the fert attachment, but this seeder didnt come with one orginally. I would guess that part was made by Danville. The hanging seeder was made for at least the first two yrs, via the catalog sales. It was built by a differnt company than Danville. There are differnt plates offered depending on who you got it from. DB offered 8 plates, 7 with 12 pockets and one with 2 pockets. If you got a Wards one it came with a differnt 2 pocket plate. There were a total of 11 plate made for the seeders, 7 with 12 holes and 4 with 2 holes. You apperantly had to buy the other 2 hole plates seperate. The model number for a Danville made seeder is 597. The number for the first maker(i dont know the name) is 411. After that there are changes to the seeder that made the final numbers differnt. Dont know for sure how many differnt number sets there are, but a 3pt one, a tractor mounted one and a push style all used a differnt numbers, but are basically the excat same unit. I have found this to be the same for other companys that sold them for there machines.
  • trowel and Virginia Mike have said thanks

#9 RickyH OFFLINE  

RickyH

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6133
  • 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 08:55 AM

That's interesting history of the planters. I have one that fits DB Suburbans. 597.98900. Was blue but had been painted before I got it. This one has no fertilizer attachment. Not sure if it came with one or not. Here's a pic of it.n Fortunately it still has the hopper cover as well as the row marker

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 08:57 AM

Very Cool planter, Thanks for posting a photo !!!
  • RickyH said thank you