• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:39 PM

Just like the title says, what is the best manure to use in your garden?

I have been getting horse manure the last 2 years....Getting some weeds, but not too bad...It is aged about 6 months to a year. I till it in in the fall, so it ages a bit more over winter.

A guy up the road gives away goat and sheep manure...thinking about trying it.

Any other opinions....type, .and how to apply it.

#2 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:53 PM

Poncho
Any time you get manure that has not been composted you are going to get weed seed that will germinate. The seed can come in the straw bedding and the seeds in the forage that the animal eats will make it though the animal and still germinate.
Lots of hoeing and sore backs and/or herbicides.

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 10:28 AM

:bounce: I think it's somewhat ironic, that gardeners often debate the merits of manure from various animals. Don't you?

I agree with Ducky, that if not composted it can introduce more weeds into the garden.
With he crop of weeds that came up in my garden this year, I hardly think I would notice an increase?
I need to introduce manure into the garden next spring and will not have time to compost it properly. Like you I do have access to aged(not composted) Horse maunre. So that's what I will go with and take my chances.
I just have to haul it 10 miles from their barn to my garden.
The Sheep & Goat manure, should work fine as well.
The only manure I hear cautions on because it can be too strong is Chicken.
But many use it as well, but just have to apply it in lower concentration.

I guess my take is whatever is available and adds organic nitrogen is good.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 09:02 PM

My Mother, who is not a horticultural expert by any means, always said that cow manure was best because of the way cows chew their food repeatedly. She says that it pulverizes many of the seeds so that they will not germinate. I personally use fertilizer and other minerals and additives instead. (I hate weeding!) Now that the subject has been raised though, does anyone know this to be true or false? What does the composting do to the seeds to cause them not to be viable?

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 09:23 PM

fungus breaks down the cells and enzymes turning it into protein,
cow poo: homegrown organic fertilizer :D
  • caseguy said thank you

#6 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 09:35 PM

My Mother, who is not a horticultural expert by any means, always said that cow manure was best because of the way cows chew their food repeatedly. She says that it pulverizes many of the seeds so that they will not germinate. I personally use fertilizer and other minerals and additives instead. (I hate weeding!) Now that the subject has been raised though, does anyone know this to be true or false? What does the composting do to the seeds to cause them not to be viable?

Cows definitely spend the majority of there time chewing and then rechewing there feed. Being an ex dairy farmer I can tell you that weed seeds do make it through a ruminant animal. They(Cow) probably do the best job of any of the farm animals of destroying a weed seed but some still make it through.
  • caseguy and trowel have said thanks