• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cosurv2096 OFFLINE  

cosurv2096

• Member No: 78
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 01:10 PM

Sorry that I havent been on for a while, been moving around a bit with the wife who is in the military. When we finally got back to our real home a few months ago, tried to get the 12 that had been running fine when I left it (relatives occupied our home for us and did lawn work), found out that the old girl wouldn't move. Questioned my brother in law about it and he said he was mowing one day, going up a hill in front of the house and she started rolling back down the hill, as if the transmission was in free wheel position. He was right, no resistance whatsoever even with brake engaged. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what is the fix. Mine has the hydrostatic transaxle drive.

Any and all comments and suggestions appreciated

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 01:57 PM

Sorry, can't help you on the M/F 12 hydro issue.

:usa: I do want to THANK YOU and your WIFE for your commitment to protect our Country. It can't be said enough. One of the Massey guys will help you shortly, and again WELCOME BACK HOME !!!:usa:
  • cosurv2096 said thank you

#3 cosurv2096 OFFLINE  

cosurv2096

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 02:15 PM

Your welcome,
She is getting ready to leave me for an extended period, and this time I don't get to go with her. Will be a long, cold, lonely winter around here.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 02:32 PM

Sorry to hear that, I will be PRAYING for her safety until she is back in your protective arms. Until then, you can stay here with us everyday and we'll keep up busy reading and working on your GT. Check out the chat room some time,it's usually a good time in there.

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 04:31 PM

I'm no expert, but it sounds like something went majorly wrong in the trans/differential assembly. Are you sure that the parking brake is engaging the drum? A hydro seems to be locked when the hydro motor isn't turning, so you might never notice if the brake wasn't actually locking up. I would check for proper oil level, make sure that your transmission free-wheel valve is in the running position and see what happens from there. Depending on the year of your tractor, the transmission oil either has a resevoir under the seat, or there is a dip tube on the left front corner of the transmission, just behind the wheel. Check Agcopartsbook.com for an exploded drawing of various components.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Howard

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:11 PM

To me, the part that makes me think it is an easy fix is the part with the brake not holding. Check your hubs to see if you spun the splines between the wheel hub and the axle shaft. I bet you will find them stripped.

And to echo, thank you and God Bless!

#7 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:27 PM

Sorry to hear that, I will be PRAYING for her safety until she is back in your protective arms. Until then, you can stay here with us everyday and we'll keep up busy reading and working on your GT. Check out the chat room some time,it's usually a good time in there.

And THANKS to her we can lay down and SLEEP, See you in chat.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 10:25 PM

Tell her we said stay safe and to the whole family, a BIG thanks.

As for the tranny, are you saying you can roll it with the brakes on? That sounds like something stripped out. As mentioned above, the hubs could be a problem, so could anything inside. I do know there is a free-wheel valve on the tranny. I think its on the front and is a little T handle. You might turn it 180 and see if that does anything. I believe it should be pointing down for engage position, but don't quote me...

#9 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 10:54 PM

Thanks to your wife for serving in the military. It was easy when I was in because I was single but I can see how it's tough having to move here and there when she gets a transfer. We'll all keep y'all in our prayers and especially her while she's deployed.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 04:50 AM

Can't help on the tractor problem, but wanted to say thank you to your wife for her service. I ditto all the above, you can hang around with us. There is plenty to do around here. Maybe you can restore the tractor this winter?

#11 cosurv2096 OFFLINE  

cosurv2096

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 09:47 AM

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions, they will be helpful. Have the old girl in my dad's shop now, he and my brother (who has a '74 MF 14 and is the one who urged me to purchase the MF 12) is going to assist me in the fix. I am by no means a mechanic, ask me a land surveying question and I can pretty well answer it or find you an answer. Have had notions of restoring the tractor and will probably do it while my sweetie is away, cause I will now have the time to tackle the task. Will post pics later of before and after.

Again, thanks for all the comments and prayers!!!

#12 cosurv2096 OFFLINE  

cosurv2096

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 02:02 PM

The free-wheel valve, does it just turn or should it tighten up at some point. I had checked that after taking it to dad's shop, and all mine does is turn.

#13 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 11:17 AM

On my 1968 12 Hydro, with NO reserve tank under the seat, the freewheel valve has the LONG end pointing straight down. I received several different answers when I asked this question, so this may reflect changes in production. My freewheel valve turns freely through about 27o degrees, and is stopped by hitting a frame member. I discovered the correct position by pushing the tractor by hand. When it suddenly didn't want to roll, I knew I was in the right spot.

Howard

#14 cosurv2096 OFFLINE  

cosurv2096

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 07:31 AM

Mine just grazed the frame member, but would go ahead and turn on around. Another question, if the wrong transmission fluid is put in the hydro, would that make a difference. It calls for "Type A" and discovered brother in law put in Dexron II. Also, last evening, we put a floor jack under the rear end, raised it off the floor and in full forward position, the wheels turn slightly, but you can stop them by hand!! Told my dad, when running right, at the position, would be running away from his green lawn tractor, LOL

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 07:48 PM

What I see on the internet is that ATF fluids should not be mixed. It is advised that the mixed fluid be drained and the resevoir refilled with the correct fluid. Beyond that, the signs you are showing are similar to problems I was having with a 12Hydro I rescued at the salvage yard. In my case, the fluid was low and I think that air got into the system, and of course the freewheel valve was not in the correct position. I purged the air by runnning the tractor with the wheels in the air, cycling forward and reverse.