Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 03:36 PM

You've got to love the smell of diesel smoke in the morning.:thumbs:

Chris,

I don't know which is better - the smell of a wood smoke from a wood stove or diesel smoke. Whoa, how about a blend of both?

Then there's also the sound of a crackling wood fire vs. the rattle of a diesel engine. I manage to combine these when I pull a trailer of cord wood from up in our woods to stack next to our outdoor wood burner using my Cub 6284 diesel Sub Compact tractor on a frigid winter day. It don't get any better than that. BTW- I have to point out that the wife helps load and stack the wood. She really is a trooper, though I'll deny having said it if anyone tells her. She even helps out working on equipment when I need an extra pair of hands or eyes (it's hard for me to work up close while backing off far enough to focus on the close-up work any more).

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,342 Thanks
  • 5,499 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 03:51 PM

You are a lucky man. A good wife is hard to fault. My wife was raised a farm girl so Machinery is an accepted thing as is helping.
We burned wood for many years and the smell of burning Ash wood is still one of my favorite aromas. I wish my back was still up to cutting wood in the fall. That was something I always looked forward to. Nothing like a good nap on the floor next to the wood stove was also a treat. After experiencing a chimney fire I think your outdoor stove is an excellent idea.

#18 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 04:44 PM

We installed an air to air outdoor furnace next to the house and tapped it into the heat ducting under the house. Return air is pumped to the furnace from our mudroom to pressurize the air chamber around the firebox and then back into the house. We went that route because we didn't have room indoors and we didn't want the smoke and dust inside. The downside is going outside at five in the morning in a bathrobe and pull-on boots to stoke it (the wife does that too!). We have not turned on our propane furnace now for the last four years since we installed the wood burner.

JN

#19 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 02:29 PM

Got a chance to make a closer inspection of the engine, get some measurements and take some pics this weekend. I will definitely need a shoehorn to get things fitted and there is no danger that the Case 224 hood will appear stock when this project is complete. It does appear that the engine might actually fit under the stock hood of my 448 but I want to focus on the 224 first. I removed the recoil starter and it does not appear that it would be very difficult to fabricate an adapter for the front PTO clutch for belt driven implements if it will line up well once the engine sits in the tractor. I am posting some pics here to give you a better idea of the engine layout and size.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hopefully I will be able to extract the old Kohler gas engine from the tractor and start working on it soon, though there are still the fall outdoor projects and chores to attend to while good weather permits.

JN

#20 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,736 Thanks
  • 3,333 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 05:53 AM

That engine looks very similar to my generator's engine. That engine runs great! A little loud but really runs well and pretty smooth too considering how much violence is happening every couple of strokes .:thumbs::thumbs:

#21 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 07:30 AM

These 'China diesel' engines are marketed under a lot of different names and are showing up in a lot of generator applications. I believe that the only real difference between the generator engines and this one is the output shaft. This one is a straight keyed shaft and the generator engines generally have a tapered shaft.

I know that Chinese quality is not usually on par with American or European made engines but I am impressed with the heft of this engine. I guess the fact is that any diesel engine requires a stronger construction than similar gasoline engines. And the simple fact remains that I could not have even come close to the price I paid for this engine even for a brand name engine even in well worn or core condition.

I am looking forward to when I can really put this engine to work. I don't think I will be disappointed.

JN

#22 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,342 Thanks
  • 5,499 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 03:09 PM

If and when the time comes, could you take a couple of pictures of the original and Chinese engine side by side? I would really like to see the two next to each other. I'm sure interested in hearing your feeling about that diesel when the project is done.
Thanks.

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 03:12 PM

There is a company up here in Canada that sells portable diesel generators using those 10hp engines. They claim that the engines are good for 5000hrs based on their experience in commercial use. It could be marketing hype but they seem to have sold a lot of them. I have read online that there can be problems with loose head bolts and sometimes the governor linkage may be a bit sticky and need to be given the once over. If you search for info online there was a guy with a utube video showing a 6hp version and talking about some of the common minor problems they have found. It would do a nice job on a mid sized GT. I wonder how much larger they are than a K321. I might just drop one in the JD314.

#24 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,472 Thanks
  • 30,277 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 05:17 PM

Why does that sticker say "for stationary use only" I wonder? It appears like most any other engine...much like a Honda gas engine.

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,821 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 06:19 PM

My 2a016 was meant for stationary use, it's on my snowblower now :D

#26 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 08:01 PM

Why does that sticker say "for stationary use only" I wonder?

I believe that the sticker is referring to highway use. It is probably not compliant with emissions requirements for highway vehicles. I suppose there might also be liability issues they are concerned with. I can't think of any functionality issues using it in a GT. In any event I don't think I'm in any danger of being pulled over on the back trails of our property for stationary engine violations.

JN

#27 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,472 Thanks
  • 30,277 posts

Posted September 27, 2011 - 08:33 PM

I believe that the sticker is referring to highway use. It is probably not compliant with emissions requirements for highway vehicles. I suppose there might also be liability issues they are concerned with. I can't think of any functionality issues using it in a GT. In any event I don't think I'm in any danger of being pulled over on the back trails of our property for stationary engine violations.

JN

I don't know JN...they might hit you with a "moving violation"! LOL

#28 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,342 Thanks
  • 5,499 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 09:53 AM

Why does that sticker say "for stationary use only" I wonder? It appears like most any other engine

Someone must have told them that I am considering one of these engines in my plane:laughingteeth:

#29 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 03:03 PM

Someone must have told them that I am considering one of these engines in my plane

I thought that at first also. But then I realized they are probably intending the warning for motorized skate boards or perhaps one man submarines. :confuse:

JN

#30 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,342 Thanks
  • 5,499 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 10:19 PM

Submarines are not my thing. The Navy had it their head that I should be a Nuclear Tech. on subs. I told them in no uncertain words that that wasn't going to happen. They did come up with another option that turned out just fine. Flying is good but Submarines are definitely out.