#1 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:28 AM

Well, I finally procured a diesel engine to begin a re-power project. Last night I picked up a 10 HP air cooled 1 cylinder China diesel engine. The PO had purchased it new for a project he never completed and he had owned it for four years. The engine was dusty from sitting in his pole barn but has never been run - in fact it has never had fuel or oil in it.

I found the engine on CL and got it for $300.00. They are going new for $690.00 plus shipping on the Internet so I figure I got a good deal though I should add that it also cost me dinner out for me and the wife coming home. It's still a fair deal if she considers it 'paid in full'. If not there may be hidden future installment payments - we'll see.

I have a Case/Ingersoll 448, a 224 and a 220 tractor that are all potential candidates for re-power, though the 448 and 224 both presently have good running gasoline engines. The 220 has a bad engine and therefore makes the most sense for me to start with. I can't wait to pull the bad engine and start laying out a plan for adapting the diesel once I get fall garden and yard work done along with getting wood hauled down from the woods for heating this winter.

I will post details once I get going on the project. I'm sure I will be seeking ideas, suggestions and advice once I get into it.

JN

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 08:01 AM

Welcome to the diesel clan. You just got to love that smoke.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 08:08 AM

Welcome to the diesel clan. You just got to love that smoke.

And don't forget the sound! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the re power.

#4 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 09:36 AM

Hot dogs and air cooled to boot. That is going to make your job much easier. I'd have to say that you sure purchased it reasonable enough.
Good luck and keep us posted.

#5 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 10:02 AM

Thanks guys! I'm sitting here at the office trying to visualize how I am going to go about this. I think that the rear hydraulic power will be relatively simple since the Case/Ingersoll tractors are driven by a hydraulic pump connected directly to the engine via a Lovejoy coupler. I should be able to modify or purchase the hardware necessary to drive the pump. Rear PTO implements are also driven by the hydraulic system so that's also covered by mounting the pump.

The PTO for the mower deck and snow thrower are belt driven off the front of the engine so that will become a bit more of a challenge. I'm hoping that the alignment will be close enough that if I remove the recoil starter (the engine has an electric starter) I will be able to machine a hub that bolts to the engine flywheel and mounts the original mechanical clutch and belt drive. I really won't know that until I get a chance to actually inspect and test fit the engine. The alternative would be to modify the mower deck and snow blower to be driven with hydraulic motors. That has been done by the factory in newer high-end models so it is doable.

Another factor I will need to determine is hood clearance. I am expecting some clearance issues since I am pretty sure this diesel engine is taller than the OEM engines (vertical single cylinder Kohlers and the opposed twin Onans). In fact I was surprised by the size of the diesel engine when I went to pick it up. It is a bit deceiving since I have only ever seen them in pictures and I guess I have mentally compared them to similar style gasoline engines. I am not opposed to modifying the hood to accommodate the diesel engine but I do hope that I can come up with something that is aesthetically acceptable. I hate it when scrappers stop at the house and ask "do you want to get rid of that thing sitting in the driveway?". Even more important.... I want to submit pictures here that are worthy of your attention.

JN

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 10:06 AM

Yes sir,I just live that diesel sound.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 10:29 AM

I can't wait to see this build take place, keep us posted...

#8 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 10:40 AM

The anticipation is the worst part of these projects. I have found that one thing that makes these conversions much easier is if you have a hoist or some other means for suspending the engine over the frame. Your going to be moving the engine up and down quite a bit. Even a come along from the rafters would be a big help. I wish I could be there the first time you fire that diesel up and climb on the tractor. It's going to be wall to wall grin:D

The dreaded hood monster is something I'm working on right now. This too will pass.
  • Boss 448 said thank you

#9 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 11:08 AM

one thing that makes these conversions much easier is if you have a hoist or some other means for suspending the engine

That's a great suggestion! I had thought about that myself, but now that you have pointed it out I will have to devise something or consider myself real stupid every time I fight with lifting it in and out. In spite of the fact the it is similar in appearance to many gasoline engines this thing really is heavy!

JN

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 02:09 PM

Welcome to "Diesel World" JN! You have taken a while, but you made it, and that's all that matters. Before you become an official member, we have to have the initiation ceremony, but it's easy enough. Just involves hot embers, bamboo splinters, and fun stuff like that! :rofl2:

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 02:10 PM

The dreaded hood monster is something I'm working on right now.

OH Chris, just put taller rims/tires on it...that'll raise the hood won't it? :bigrofl:

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 02:25 PM

OH Chris, just put taller rims/tires on it...that'll raise the hood won't it?

Go ahead an laugh. That's just exactly what I got done doing before I came in and saw your post. How did you know anyway? Took a little work to change the offset on the Wheel Horse rims. Now they are inline with the front tires. Next I'm going to set the hood on 5 gallon buckets and see if I can get under it at full throttle:smilewink:

100_4204.jpg

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 02:37 PM

I hate it when scrappers stop at the house and ask "do you want to get rid of that thing sitting in the driveway?".

Boss, ^that^ put a smile on my face. Around here with the scrap iron prices as high as they are this could very well happen.

#14 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 02:39 PM

Just involves hot embers, bamboo splinters, and fun stuff like that!

Geez....

And to think that I was one that campaigned real hard for the creation of this forum. Now in addition to dieselizing a tractor (hey spellchecker, if it wasn't a word before I now declare that it is so get over it, OK?), you mean I gotta pledge to get into it? :wallbanging:

JN

DEFINITION: Dieselizing - the act of stuffing an honest-to-god diesel fuel burning engine into a previously underpowered gasoline guzzling garden tractor. Example: He spent many happy hours away from his wife up in the pole barn carefully adapting and installing a torqueful (ya, I'm declaring that a word too) honest-to-god real diesel engine into the unsuspecting garden tractor.

Edited by Boss 448, September 21, 2011 - 03:37 PM.

#15 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 03:13 PM

Sounds good to me. It's the cure that should have the wives concerned.:laughingteeth: