• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RHJO51 OFFLINE  

RHJO51

• Member No: 4772
  • 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 06:27 AM

Hello Guys, can someone tell me how to adjust the PTO air gap on my GT235? It has the B&S Vanguard engine on it. I've adjusted the PTO on my JD 316 and it was rather straight forward, but not so clear on the GT235 - I don't see any adjusting nuts. Thanks for your help. - Jim

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 08:04 AM

I can't help directly. I have no experience with that tractor. You might try downloading the technical manual for the LXseries which should be pretty similar to the GT series tractors. Give it some time and someone with experience will probably post a reply.

#3 RHJO51 OFFLINE  

RHJO51

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 05:35 AM

Hello Brian, thanks for the reply. I checked that tech manual but the PTOs are different. If anyone has experience with this PTO and can offer some advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 06:17 AM

Can you get a pic of it? Sometimes that helps guys come up with a fix, seeing what you have there.

#5 RHJO51 OFFLINE  

RHJO51

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 12:42 PM

Good idea! I have a picture if I could figure out how to add for this forum! Once again, ther reason I'm asking how to adjust the PTO is because when I engage the PTO, it boggs down the engine and kills it, unless the mower has been used for a while. I have to choke the engine a little bit as I engage the PTO, but then all is fine and the tractor runs great, no other PTO issues. Someone suggested the PTO air gap needs to be set. So, does this appear to be a PTO issue or something else? I'm scratching my head.... Any ideas?

#6 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 01:12 PM

If that is an electric clutch, U can't engage it with engine idling, U need throttle about 1/3 open. Most electric clutches only need adjusting if they won't engage. If there aren't any adjusting nuts, the clutch has to be taken apart to change shims.
I hope I was some help.

#7 RHJO51 OFFLINE  

RHJO51

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 03:43 PM

Hey thanks Big John! Yes - I always engage the PTO at full throttle. This one engages, put the engine wants to die. I have to give it a little choke to keep it going and then it's fine. After it's good and warm, I can dis-engage and engage to PTO no problem. Odd, and kind of a PIA. Any ideas? Thanks - Jim

#8 RHJO51 OFFLINE  

RHJO51

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 06:09 AM

Here is a picture of the PTO, I don't see any way to adjust this one.IMG_3991 (Small).JPG

Any ideas? Thanks!