• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rogerlz OFFLINE  

rogerlz

• Member No: 6415
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 07:11 PM

MOTO MOWER.jpg I have a Moto Mower, Model no. ROT24, Serial no. 9c204. The ID plate is in pretty good condition.It shows the following: MOTO MOWER, SUBSIDIARY OF DETROIT HARVESTER CO.,RICHMOND, INDIANA. THE REAR DRIVE SYSTEM IS A RUBBER LAMINATED DRUM. THE STEERING IS DONE WITH A HANDLE BAR LEVER DEVICE, NOT A STEERING WHEEL. THE ONE PIECE DECK IS OF CAST ALUMINUM AND THE ENGINE IS MISSING.
DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS MACHINE? WHEN WAS IT MADE, CAN IT BE RESTORED, DOES IT HAVE ANY VALUE AND DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INTEREST ?
PS: I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND CAN'T SEEM TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO ADD A PIC OF THE TRACTOR. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A HEADS UP ON THE PROCEEDURE?

Edited by rogerlz, September 21, 2011 - 06:54 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 07:46 PM

Hi
Welcome to GTT.

Your cap lock is on.
Can't help you, sorry, about any info on that mower.
To post pictures, scroll down as your posting, and go to manage attachments.
Sure would like to see the mower.

#3 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 08:30 PM

wvbuzzmaster aka casey, has a motomower. He should be able to tell you something about it
  • rogerlz said thank you

#4 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 08:33 PM

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Welcome to GTT. I'll bet you find lots of good information here and a bunch of friendly people willing to help.

:wewantpics::camera:
  • rogerlz said thank you

#5 rogerlz OFFLINE  

rogerlz

• 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for the help on adding the picture. I also have the rubber that gets laminated to the rear drum.

#6 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:39 AM

Looks like its worth about 5cents a pound

#7 rogerlz OFFLINE  

rogerlz

• 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 03:49 PM

Actually, right now, where the mower is located in central New Jersey, the cast aluminum deck is fetching 62 cents a lb. and the remaining steel parts are getting 16 cents. However, I would hate to scrap it. It does seem to be an interesting mower.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 04:40 PM

Actually, right now, where the mower is located in central New Jersey, the cast aluminum deck is fetching 62 cents a lb. and the remaining steel parts are getting 16 cents. However, I would hate to scrap it. It does seem to be an interesting mower.

It doesn't matter what others think of your find, but rather how you feel about it. Anything can be restored if the desire is there. First you'll have to wait till you can find what model/make engine was used. Once you can locate an engine, then you can get serious about the project if you choose to.
I can tell you one thing....it's rare to see all that cast aluminum in one piece!
  • MH81 and rogerlz have said thanks

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 06:06 PM

:wave: rogerlz Welcome to GTTalk! I think that's a very interesting piece of lawn and garden history that you've got there. In the beginning , there were far more riding lawnmowers than there were garden tractors. What you have is what paved the way for the ever larger models that we all love and enjoy so much. IMHO, that one is in great shape and it would nigh on be a crime to scrap it! Thanks for sharing the pic and thanks for signing up!

P.S. Sorry that I can't offer more specific info. I'll be watching to see when you get it though!
  • rogerlz said thank you

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:42 PM

rogerlz Welcome to GTTalk!.
You Have a very nice little GT there. There are not too many of them running around. Definitely worth a lot more than Scrap price. Around here $.35/lbs
Enjoy!
  • rogerlz said thank you

#11 smartcows OFFLINE  

smartcows
  • Member No: 29569
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 03:22 PM

I know a little about this riding mower.  It is a Moto Mower Roto-Ride model ROT-24. My dad bought one used in the mid 60's for me to mow the lawn.  It worked very well.  Very unique with the rear drum for wheels, 24" blade and a solid cast aluminum deck.  It had a 5 hp motor (very large for the time). I do not remember the brand but it was a vertical shaft and sat directly under the seat.  The steering was quick and the turning radius was very tight.  It was recoil start.  At the side of the seat was the choke and throttle plus a forward and reverse lever.  You got under way by depressing the big foot pedal on the right floor.  When you lifted, the brake was automatically applied.  Mowing length was rather short at 1" to 3" and needed tools to change.  I ran it for 3 1/2 years until one July day the rod let go and came through the iron block (being only 14 years old I liked to bypass the governor and spin the rear drum).  My dad could not afford to fix it so he scrapped it.

• MH81 said thank you

#12 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 08:26 PM

It doesn't matter what others think of your find, but rather how you feel about it. Anything can be restored if the desire is there. First you'll have to wait till you can find what model/make engine was used. Once you can locate an engine, then you can get serious about the project if you choose to.
I can tell you one thing....it's rare to see all that cast aluminum in one piece!

If one of the mods would help him get to it as he may not have enuff post I just put the manual on the site,I may would be able to handle this but I,m on some very kicking drugs from my back surgery and I am haveing trouble just doing reg things