30 replies to this topic

#16 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,601 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 10:22 AM

Great idea on the headlights. Think I'll fab something up for my 400 which is missing the lens anyway (and we all know how much they cost!). Feel dumb for asking this question.... but what is everyone refering to when they say H2 conversion? thanks

No dumb question... the 316 had a single hydraulic to save money. Someone swapped in a dual hydraulic valve (likely from a 318) onto this 316. Nice feature that allows the owner to use a hydraulic life and turn blade on it.

I have been considering a set of LED driving lights and LED marker lights for my 120. Those would provide light but draw less current and produce less heat than the h-1/h-2 bulbs in those lights.

#17 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 05:23 PM

Congrats Terry on the 316. It will make you a nice work horse. And if you ever decide to get rid of the 140 let me know LOL.

#18 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:52 PM

Tractor looks good to me! I enjoy mine very much. The headlights remind me off something out of Star Wars, but hey, they are unique and I'd vote to keep them. Congrats on the new purchase.

#19 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 06:04 AM

Congrats Terry on the 316. It will make you a nice work horse. And if you ever decide to get rid of the 140 let me know LOL.

Mark,
Be careful - I might just take you up on that offer for my 140. LOL

From the pictures the paint job on the 316 looks okay, but when you get close you can see that it's not a professional job and it isn't that great. But it's not bad either and I can live with it for now.

#20 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• Member No: 4947
  • 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 07:44 AM

No dumb question... the 316 had a single hydraulic to save money. Someone swapped in a dual hydraulic valve (likely from a 318) onto this 316. Nice feature that allows the owner to use a hydraulic life and turn blade on it.

I have been considering a set of LED driving lights and LED marker lights for my 120. Those would provide light but draw less current and produce less heat than the h-1/h-2 bulbs in those lights.

Hey thanks for the explaination Trav1s :) As far as the lights go, a friend of mine was running HID lights on his golf cart which worked great, and really lite up the night. He was concerned about killing his battery at a recent motorcycle ralley because of all the starting and stopping you do, so he install LED driving lights to try out (about 2" in diameter). We both noticed they didn't light up half as good as the HID's, and almost to dangerous to drive! Anyways, just wanted to mention that. Dave

#21 worntires OFFLINE  

worntires

• Member No: 6383
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 09:29 AM

looks decent, good luck with the restore.

#22 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

sgtrock1976

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6802
  • 4 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 01:40 PM

H2 is the second hydraulic control. One thing I notice on my 316k is how slow the hydraulics work, in comparison to a 140 H3 set up. It has something to do with the deck. I remove the deck for snow plowing, but the system still goes through the plumbing making it slower. Is there a fix, short of replumbing?

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 04:17 PM

There is a rod (lockout link) that you can install that holds the rockshaft cylinder in one position so it won't fill or empty along with the blade cylinder. You can also install a diverter valve that blocks the flow to the rockshaft cylinder. Heres a diagram from the 314 that shows the rod. Part No. 19. It is listed as optional equipment but is no longer available. I haven't really thought about trying to build one. It wouldn't be that hard.

314 lift shaft linkage.jpg

#24 dockter OFFLINE  

dockter

• Member No: 6798
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 04:38 PM

That 316 looks like an onan powered (later) model so the lockout rod won't work on it. For the later 316 and 318 you need the diverter valve. The lockout rod is for the older closed frame tractors (140, 300, 314, 317, kohler 316).

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 04:54 PM

Woops. You are right. The rear fender deck was the big clue that i missed. That exact part wouldn't work but the same idea would work on the newer tractor. If you mechanically stop the rockshaft cylinder from moving all the fluid will go to the blade angle cylinder. I'm not sure if a lockout rod was made for the 316/318.

#26 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted October 17, 2011 - 11:56 PM

That is a nice looking tractor. Get a few scratches on it and the 20' paint job won't make any difference. My personal experience with LED lights is not very positive. They work OK on the rear but I wouldn't want to have to do any real work after dark with them as the only light source on the front. I think the lights that are on it look darn good anyway.

#27 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 07:29 AM

I kinda like the lights too. When you get time can you post some more pictures of the headlights and how they are mounted?

#28 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

sgtrock1976

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6802
  • 4 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 01:26 PM

Woops. You are right. The rear fender deck was the big clue that i missed. That exact part wouldn't work but the same idea would work on the newer tractor. If you mechanically stop the rockshaft cylinder from moving all the fluid will go to the blade angle cylinder. I'm not sure if a lockout rod was made for the 316/318.

As luck would have it, mine is a 316k. Does that photo come from the tech manual?

#29 dockter OFFLINE  

dockter

• Member No: 6798
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 02:48 PM

That photo looks like it came from jdparts.com. I made a couple of lockout rods using a piece of all thread, a clevis, and some big washers. All the dimensions (except the length of the rod) can be figured out from jdparts.

#30 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 18, 2011 - 04:28 PM

As luck would have it, mine is a 316k. Does that photo come from the tech manual?

Not the manual. JDParts.com. If you haven't checked it out then you should. If you register you can get price quotes and order parts on line for pickup at your local dealer. I can get parts in 3-4 business days and I am in eastern Canada. That came in mighty handy when I rebuilt my 314 this summer.