Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Just here to do a little bragging

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 11:30 PM

I saw an ad for a Troy Bilt Chipper last night on cl. It had just been posted, so I replied and we set up a time to look at it this afternoon. According to the ad, it hadn't run in 5 years. They only wanted $100, and it's a big chipper for a homeowner model, so I took one glance at it and agreed to come back and pick it up in two hours (needed to go home and get the trailer).

I got it home, threw some fresh gas in it and tugged. Didn't budge. I began to think this was going to be a bigger project than I had anticipated. But on a whim I pulled off the recoil starter and put a socket on the flywheel. The motor spun with relative ease. So I put the recoil back on, put a quick shot of starter fluid in the carb and pulled again. This time it spun, caught, belched out a huge cloud of blue smoke, and died. A couple more pulls and she fired right up and ran like a champ!:bounce:

As I sat down to write this, I checked cl to get a screen shot of the ad, and the owner had modified it to say it would not turn over. It's a good thing that wasn't there originally, because I probably would have skipped over it. I'm glad I didn't, because this thing is in great shape. The blades look sharp, and it came with a brand new set along with a spare air cleaner. The PO had put a quick oil drain on the crank case, so it must have been maintained when he used it. Given the big blue cloud, I bet he poured some oil in the cylinder, but then gave up when he couldn't pull start it.

I realize this is not the point of this forum, but there is no Troy Bilt forum and I wanted to tell someone 'cause the wife doesn't really share my enthusiasm, and the kids just like it because the stick used to feed the hopper makes a nice weapon to chase each other around the yard with. I'm doing a happy dance here all by myself and I had to share it with someone. Thanks for reading!

Attached Thumbnails

• chipper.jpg
  • cl_ad.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 12:07 AM

I'll do the happy dance with ya, :dancingbanana:

that's one heck of a nice looking machine. Good story, nice addition. Downed limbs beware!

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 03:58 AM

:dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana: I'll join in! Glad it was an easy fix. Have fun chippin'!

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 04:20 AM

Me to .:dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana:

Good looking machine.

#5 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 11:04 PM

Just as I fed the last maple sapling into the chipper this afternoon, the engine grenaded itself.:mecry: Blew a hole in the block the size of my fist. I didn't see it coming at all. I had checked the oil level before I started, and it was full. I did feed couple larger limbs threw it during the day, and they stalled it. But if stalling a B&S blows it up, I'd have a pile of them in my back yard. It didn't make any funny noises beforehand either. Just a big bang. Oh well, back on CL it goes.

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 11:19 PM

You will no doubt break even. Sorry for your loss. Nice looking unit.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 12:15 AM

Sad to hear. Any chance it's worth a repower?

#8 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4710
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 02:23 AM

Still a good story the ups and downs

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Member No: 92