wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 05:13 PM

Dean, you have made awesome progress on that Panzer. I know you are using a 390 clone, and I am soon to have a 420 cc clone that I am planning to mount in a Springfield. My engine will be the same orientation as yours, and stick out the side as well, any tips on gaining the hood clearance with the engine?

#47 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 03:49 PM

Dean, you have made awesome progress on that Panzer. I know you are using a 390 clone, and I am soon to have a 420 cc clone that I am planning to mount in a Springfield. My engine will be the same orientation as yours, and stick out the side as well, any tips on gaining the hood clearance with the engine?

Yes, Buzz, this is the 420cc version clone as well. All you really need to do is remove the gas tank and the engine is shorter than any of the old Briggs, Kohler, or Tecumseh engines. However, the width of it is a lot more. On the panzer, it didn't give me any problems at all with hood clearance because the jug and exhaust are not underneath the hood. I did have problems with clearance on the mower lift. But I cut that out in favor of the older T70x version of a lift that is back near the rear fender. Good luck. As for chains, I've been thinking about keeping the turf tires just for the chains and get a set of lugs to mow. I have some grade here and was getting some spinning on the turns. Plus I like the way that lugs look. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for a second set of wheels for it so I can run one with turf/chains and the other with lugs. Thanks for all the compliments, guys!
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#48 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 29, 2011 - 10:31 AM

just dont mow the grass if yard is wet. it tears it up

#49 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 29, 2011 - 07:05 PM

well i can say my friend has ags on his wheel horse 855. he has a small weight on the back and he weigh in at a total of 90 pounds and hes never spun the tires. his belt slips before his tires spin. chains only really make a difference on ice.

#50 BowDown OFFLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 195 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 10:36 AM

I love the attention to detail.

Did you have any problems with the engine pulley fitting/lining up? You mentioned some belt issues?

How about reverse? Are you able to use the stock reverse wheel still?

#51 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 195 Thanks
  • 424 posts

Posted June 13, 2012 - 10:46 AM

Did you purchase your 'clone' GX engine from harbor freight?

#52 cookiemonster ONLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 14, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Funny. Just replied to your thread on your build. Mine came from MaxTool. Painted it black for my color scheme and put a honda sticker on it because I didn't want a stickerless engine. The engine that was in it was a 1 inch shaft so the pulley fit.

Lining it up was just a matter of measuring where the old one was and then putting the replacement in the same place front to back and side to side. It was a little higher, but the drive shaft is adjustable in that direction.

I don't have any belt issues. I had to cut the engine shroud for the steering shaft, but it has a whole different steering setup than your T70. Hope that helps.

I'm working on something now for Frankenpanzer build thread #3. It'll be a surprise.

Edited by cookiemonster, June 14, 2012 - 12:18 PM.

• BowDown said thank you