mine has 120 pounds of compression and was rebuilt couple years ago

#32 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 06:01 PM

Lack of power in a normal rpm range like that can also be a lean running condition. Does it sputter or hesitate when you try to bring up the rpms or does it come right up? A properly adjusted carb will come right up when you crack the carb from idle right to full throttle. A lean condition can make it run smoother at a steady rpm, but don't be fooled.

#33 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 07:45 AM

its tunned perfect. i have it a little lean at idle so i can have a cool low idle. but the full rpm is set perfect. my governor is all screwed up though. Idk how to fix it.

#34 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 08:46 AM

its tunned perfect. i have it a little lean at idle so i can have a cool low idle. but the full rpm is set perfect. my governor is all screwed up though. Idk how to fix it.

the governor issue is huge and then is a big reason for the bogging down. Is it not working at all, yo-yo'ing or just not bumping up the gas enough?
There are some tricks to try with adjusting it if it is, in fact, functioning at all...

#35 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 01:51 PM

its functional but not enough

#36 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 15, 2011 - 02:46 PM

its functional but not enough

When the engine is shut off, the governor should push the carb to full throttle. Is it doing that? Otherwise, loosen the governor arm at the engine block... hold the governor shaft with a wrench or vice grips or something, and rotate the arm until it does push the carb to full throttle. That's the shortened version. You can find volumes about how to fine tune governors online. Briggs and Stratton has a section right on their website, too.
  • MH81, caseguy and akretowicz have said thanks

#37 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 08:04 AM

I better see that tractor at some shows

#38 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 12:41 AM

I better see that tractor at some shows

Well, thanks. Not sure about shows. Those seem to focus on either correct to factory spec or really crazy. This is somewhere in between.
Anyway... I hadn't logged in for a while b/c just got busy and generally haven't been playing on the PC too much. But a lot of working. First of all, the mower deck turned out to be a real bear. The project just kept growing and growing to the point where the spindles were out of alignment and I had to beat the deck into shape and reinforcing it. But not before breaking one of the spindles which I then had to weld and put all new bearings in. In the end, I mowed with it once and it did a fine job. Will have to wait till next year to put it back into action.

So how many PA Panzers do you think have full floating decks? Got a bit carried away on that, but the mowers I've liked the best have all been full floating. Building and placing the 4 wheels was a pain. They adjust by pulling a pin and sliding each wheel up and down.
HPIM2693sm.JPG

And today I started putting the plow together for winter. Now see that the pusher bar is bent. That's okay because the actual plow I got with this was not originally for a panzer and I need to modify it anyway. Just going to cut away the bent part and build a new front to this pushe to fit the plow I have. the plow itself is in need of a lot of tlc. A lot of rust and the wear plate needs a piece put in...
HPIM2694sm.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM2695sm.JPG

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 06:24 AM

Now that's turquoise! Cool little tractor you got there!

#40 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the update. I'll second the nod it need to go to at least one show.
How about one up by Cochranton PA. ? :D

#41 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 11:33 AM

Time for an update. Haven't posted or been looking at other people's stuff. Work's been a hassle and what time I've been taking for myself was sunk in the tractor... as you may see.

The plow turned into a bigger project than I thought, but that's par for the course around here. The push bar was bent, the plow itself wasn't made for a panzer, and when I got it mounted I noticed that there wasn't any spring loaded trip. Don't feel like picking up pieces of my drive or sidewalk off the ground, so I built a spring loaded trip using some garage door springs from ACE. Then decided to put the pin and angle adjustment so you could work it from the seat. Something I didn't have when I had an ATV mounted plow. Took some pictures and put them below. Last year, I had no snowblower or plow and my mom-in-law broke her hand so I did 3 drives by hand. This year I got both this plow and an old toro 20 inch snowblower, so I can guarantee it's not going to snow at all. Got some tire chains delivered just yesterday, so next step is to fit those up and fill the tires with windshield washer to get some snow traction.

HPIM2698sm.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM2699sm.jpg
  • HPIM2696sm.jpg

#42 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 05:02 PM

That looks great. It sounds like you are ready for snow.

#43 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 - 08:47 AM

nice plow. Might wanta get tire chains though. they help a lot. just dont let them spin on the driveway.

#44 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 08:57 AM

nice plow. Might wanta get tire chains though. they help a lot. just dont let them spin on the driveway.

Thanks. Yeah, I got the chains and just need to fit them. I keep debating whether to swap out the tires now for some carlisle super lugs. Just don't want to spend on it at the moment. But seems like a waste of time to fit the chains and fill them with fluid just to do a tire change down the road.

#45 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 01:05 PM

if ur goin to use it to plow every year I would not put super lugs on it. keep the turf tires. When u put chains on lug tires the chains tend to fall into the lugs making the chains useless. and u need chains when plowing because lugs tires will still spin.