#17 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 05:34 AM

Dean,you're coming right a long,looking good.

#18 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 06:38 PM

That's some nice fabrication work Dean! I think that's a Tecumseh gas tank...maybe from a Wheel Horse by the looks of it...anyway looking great! Keep up the great work!

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 07:50 PM

Looking very good! That's going to be a nice GT when you're done.

#20 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for all the compliments, guys. It's going okay so far, just need to try and keep from hurrying to get to the end and do a good job. Not so much mechanically - I just tend to hurry over the looks part... and I hate to do bodywork. Tecumseh tank, huh? Well, it's orangy, but not a briggs kind of burnt orange/brown. Makes sense, I guess. Anyway... more progress:

Well the engine has been mounted for some time, but now I got the PTO control lever and rod installed and modified. Put new wheels on. BTW, this tractor had taken a heck of a hit to the right front at some point in its past. The right front wheel was all welded up and wobbly. The mower deck is still kind of crooked and I'll be straightening that out sometime later. I also finished connecting the mower lift to the old-style T70 rear mounted handle, and I welded a heavy-duty turnbuckle in it so the lift is adjustable.
104_1071.jpg

I'd mentioned before about making a shroud for the ugliness of how I modified the steering. Well, here it is. Just took some time and bent up some 22ga steel to wrap and mount to the backside.
104_1068.jpg

Welded in a new top to the sprocket cover. Bad news is that before I'd realized I'd done it, I'd put 22 ga steel in there instead of 16. It's going to be kind of wavy when it's done because of it. Oh well, but what's done is done. I put the rear lift parts from the t70 on as well, including the "teeth" that go on the frame rail. Had to take apart the right-rear brake because the lever wouldn't return far enough back up to let me use the parking brake. Turned out to be just grass clippings laying on top of the shoe. The drive/reverse control lever was worn pretty bad where it pushes the shaft left or right to tension the belt or contact the reverse. Put some weld on it and ground it down to make a new face. Will help with the drive/reverse adjustment.
104_1069.jpg

Well, that's all I can think that I've done since the last post. looks-wise progress has slowed to a crawl while I took care of those things I mentioned. Time to strip down for some more bondo, sanding, primer and paint. Did I mention I hate bodywork? A necessary evil I guess. Maybe I'll get a day to work on it this weekend...

#21 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 05, 2011 - 08:07 PM

Yes sir,looking real good.
  • cookiemonster said thank you

#22 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 10:29 PM

Did my painting. Man, it's been a long time since I've used Sherwin Williams paint. Last time, it was interior home paint, but this was the first time I've used their automotive stuff. And it is just as impressive. I go out to look at it every hour or so and it looks better and smoother each time I see it. Now wish I could say the same for my bodywork.

Anxious to put it together tomorrow. Think I'll yank the mower deck so I can start working on it sometime. It needs some spots replaced and/or welded and generally just needs gone over.

#23 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 06:48 AM

Hey Dean,get them pictures up.:D:D

#24 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 03:25 PM

That's funny. Spent the morning putting the painted parts back on. It looks and runs good. Funny thing is that now my wife wants me to paint the frame and stuff so that it looks good, too.... Someday.

Took the mower off cause it will be the next thing to get worked on. The sun glare from the brand new paint didn't help things with the pictures.
104_1075.jpg

And when I was in the "manage attachments" thing, I saw this in my pictures library just to remind myself what the body metal looked like just a few short weeks ago.
104_1039.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 104_1073.jpg
  • 104_1074.jpg

#25 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 08:01 PM

nice job. I love it. now all u need is a stack on it or rear exhaust like i want to do

#26 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 09:02 PM

nice job. I love it. now all u need is a stack on it or rear exhaust like i want to do

Thanks. Funny you should say that. I have a Harley Davidson muffler like new that's going to go on there someday. It's pretty far down the list on the to-do's though.

#27 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 10:07 PM

Great looking Panzer, that engine sticking out is cool.

#28 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 08:06 PM

Great looking Panzer, that engine sticking out is cool.

Thanks. Yeah, the Honda GX390 type into a panzer is a neat fit. I had to extend and modify the engine mount, trim the recoil starter shroud where it met the steering, make a new belt retainer, and trim one of the oil fill caps to clear the drive. A gx270 type would probably be easier, but figured if I was going to go through the trouble, may as well go big. Test drove it around the yard in high gear idling.

#29 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 03:43 PM

Thanks. Yeah, the Honda GX390 type into a panzer is a neat fit. I had to extend and modify the engine mount, trim the recoil starter shroud where it met the steering, make a new belt retainer, and trim one of the oil fill caps to clear the drive. A gx270 type would probably be easier, but figured if I was going to go through the trouble, may as well go big. Test drove it around the yard in high gear idling.

wow that engine has more power than the original. mine boggs way down in 3rd pully

#30 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 07:23 AM

wow that engine has more power than the original. mine boggs way down in 3rd pully

I ran with the 7hp engine for a day before removing it. It seemed to be good on power. You're probably short on compression and in need of a rebuild.

I'm going to put the 7hp engine on craigslist. Probably tomorrow so that when people call I can show it to them over the weekend or even next week as I'm off work. Even the one I have has paperwork that it got a new short block in the past. Those engines will last forever but do need rebuilds. Sometime getting a short block is cheaper and better if the crank or bearings have worn out.

I would have kept the 7hp just fine, but the wife and boy have shown interest in mowing, and neither would have appreciated the pull-start.