51 replies to this topic

#1 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 09:48 PM

Okay, this forum works a little different than the other one I've been on, but going to give it a try. I mentioned in my intro that I have a great operating Panzer 1107 - an old rusty T70b, and an electric start Honda GX390 Clone motor to put together.

Well... got started. I love the way the older panzers like the T70B look with the rounded shape and fenders and such, but understood that finding a mower is key to putting one to work in suburbia here. So that's what made the 1107 attractive - mechanically it was in great shape and I could see everything run. The engine has some problems, but overall okay.

Anyway here's my starter pictures. The 1107 as-is - it's about to get the sheet metal all removed. Then the parts from the T70B which are going to get sandblasted on Wednesday. Then what little is left of the T70B. I'm going to leave it up there for reference until I get the new tractor all fitted.

But basically the next steps are to finsih all those pieces in Teal and get them on the 1107. It seems that the hood is mounted higher , and the sprocket cover needs to sit higher as well. Shouldn't be a problem with very minor fabrication. The rear hood support likely does need extended. Again, shouldn't be a problem. We'll see soon enough, huh?

104_1041.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 104_1039.jpg
  • 104_1042.jpg

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 09:50 PM

Dean, It's going to be neat when you're done...

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 10:01 PM

Good luck with it Dean.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 04:26 AM

Dean,can't wait to see how it turns out.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 04:46 AM

Good luck with your build, I'll lurk around for updates.

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 05:15 AM

:ditto:

Goodluck on the build

#7 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 03:19 PM

Thanks everybody for the well-wishes. Just took the sheet metal to be blasted. Probably be back on Thursday. 1978Murray may be interested in the engine that's in there so here it is...
104_1043.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 104_1044.jpg
  • 104_1045.jpg

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for jumping right on in there Dean! Looks like you're off to a good start! Is that set up in your garage? With the finished drywall and such, It looks better than my house LOL! Keep those pics coming!

#9 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 08:44 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah, there's a few old projects that I'm still working on clearing out of there - even tonight. When I used to build Mini-Buggies, I kept one up there in the "bunk bed" and now it's purpose is to hold what's left of the T70B so I can see where the parts came from. If it's not too busy tomorrow, will start tearing down the 1107. They said the blasting will be done tomorrow night, so I may want to get them primed right away. Would rather put the body putty right on to the bare metal right away, but 1960 metal shouldn't sit out in the air. As for the garage, these Ryan Homes around here - they leave the garages taped and sealed - everybody's looks like they got tiger stripes in there. Those that do paint go right over top of the tape. I figured that I had one chance to do it right and spent weeks doing those walls. Maybe it's me that's the dumb one, though... not sure. I probably should learn to watch tv more, but I don't like to sit around much unless the fam is all there and in good spirits. But most times everybody goes their separate ways. The wife and I get to go to work together, so she's cool with it... but I digress...

#10 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 09:00 AM

Thanks everybody for the well-wishes. Just took the sheet metal to be blasted. Probably be back on Thursday. 1978Murray may be interested in the engine that's in there so here it is...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21403[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21404[/ATTACH]

yea i want his motor, it has many parts i have been looking for.

#11 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:08 PM

Well, Wednesdays are usually good for project work and today was no exception. Got all the body work off the 1107... 78 Murray it's here waiting for you if you want it. It's not perfect, so I hope you don't mind the bruises.
104_1051.jpg

And here's your motor.
104_1049.jpg
And a youtube video of it running to make sure you want it: 104 1047 - YouTube

Got the engine off and took it out to pressure wash. guess they're all pink on the inside, huh.
104_1054.jpg

I hadn't sent off the heavy seat and fender supports to sandblast, so I ground and primed them here. Can start to see the first resemblance to a T70...
104_1056.jpg

Well, the sandblasting is supposed to be done tonight... waiting for a call... Late night putting primer on bare metal coming.

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:43 PM

looking good,

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 08:53 PM

Been a while since I posted on this, but have been working on it. Got sidelined a little because I cut my hand and needed a couple of stitches. The engine I'm putting on had 2 of the mounting holes fall right on the edge of the old mounting plate so I had to hollow out underneath and extend the plate. It was the hollowing out part that got me. Anyway... enough of the blabbing, right. Pictures...

Got back the sandblasted parts and set them on, just to give an idea of where things are going. Yes, the fenders were on backwards.
104_1057.jpg

I hate bodywork with a passion. But grin and bear it and get some primer on...
104_1058.jpg

One of the trickier parts of this is putting the sprocket cover from a T70 on the 1107. Just raised it up about and inch and a half using a bolt-on arrangement. Good not to weld something on when you don't have to.
104_1059.jpg

After that, been working on fitting parts and getting the engine fitted. Here's the GX390 clone sitting right where it's supposed to go. Took a little fitting to get it in there with the steering. Took out the mower lift and put in the lift from the old T70 and was able to tie it to the newer mower lift. Clearance problem solved.
104_1060.jpg

Next up... I started drilling the new holes for the nose to go on. Got a gas tank that should work under the hood. So I can take that big blue one off the engine and use one in the stock location... need to put the belt guides on.. Just a long list of stuff.

#14 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Okay, another Wednesday and good progress. Got the belts set up and most of the body and steering fitted today. Pictures...

Here's the nose mounted - got the "Panzer" painted white to be masked off later for the turquoise. Can see the big gx390 style jug and exhaust sticking out the side.
104_1061.jpg

Here's from the side - got the fenders on the right way :) Got the steering mounted just right for me. Had a universal that I welded in and raised it up. The 1107 this started as had the steering wheel almost flat level. The old 70b that I took the parts from had the steering wheel so low that it was between your legs. So this is somewhere in between. Getting hard to believe this started out as an 1107.
104_1062.jpg

Got another gas tanks - looks like from a briggs but not sure at a local mower shop... It's a lot bigger than the stock T70 tank, but made it work with its own mounting straps. Think I'm going to keep the key and the throttle choke on the engine where they are. You just reach down and their actually pretty convenient where they are...
104_1063.jpg

This is the part I"m not liking though... The steering is just in the right spot now, but this ugliness is above the hood... Think I'll take a piece of 22 guage steel and bend it to make a half tube as kind of a steering column to cover this. A lot of messing around for just looks. Anyone got any other ideas to dress this up?
104_1064.jpg

Charging on... next up finish the rear steering mounts and then repair the rust in the sprocket cover.

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 09:23 PM

Liking this very much, keep them coming, this is good stuff,