4 replies to this topic

#1 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 857 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:39 PM

I recently painted the gas tank on a Clinton engine. Paint job turned out great. I left it dry for over a month and even put it outside in the sun a couple of times. The very first time I put gas in the tank the paint wrinkled around the vent hole in the cap, around the edge where you grip it to turn it off and on, and where the threaded part of the tank is connected to the main body of the tank. Short of using automotive paint, is there any paint that will not do this. I used Rustoleum enamel.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:46 PM

Zuck, I will wait for the replies on this one. I would like to know this also. Good Luck...

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 09:27 PM

I made a phone call from TSC on Saturday. I was looking at their restoration series, the tractor series, and the regular stuff in the rattle cans. All made by Valspar. None of it said it was gas and oil resistant. The nice lady that (surprisingly) answered the phone said the only 2 paints they manufacture that are gas and oil OK are the Restoration and Tractor series for TSC. Just food for thought. Hope it helps.
  • earthgrinder and Alc have said thanks

#4 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 12:10 PM

I use Nason "equipment and industrial" paint. Similar to auto paint (get it in the same place) but does not require a hardener and is cheaper than auto paint - maybe halfway between the rustoliums and auto paint.

Use reducer and spray it just like auto paint. Its available in all the usual colors, or they can mix it to your specs. Once dry, is oil and solvent resistant. Nothing is solvent proof, unless you go to 2 part paints (adding hardener or a catalyst).

Thats generally what I use for tractor/equipment repaints.

Also for edges (the neck of the gas filler) or where the paint ends and solvent (gas) could get under the edge of the paint, use an etching primer on the bare CLEAN metal to get a good chemical bond for the paint to adhere to. Less chance of rust eventually getting under the edge of the paint as well.
  • earthgrinder, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was about to ask the same question.