• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted October 02, 2011 - 07:47 PM

Well, earlier today the problem got real bad. Couldn't get any one of the three browsers to close completely. Would take forever to load anything, but IE 8 worked the best. Downloaded AVG free version and after several hours of scanning, things straightened out. Nothing was found, yet before all this, task manager was showing a jump from 4% to 100%, back and forth on the performance tab. Whatever it was, has disappeared. All of the scans I ran reported nothing wrong. Besides AVG, I ran Advanced System Care Pro version, IObit Malware fighter, Combo-fix, spybot, & CCleaner. I don't understand it, but I'll close FF here in a few and see what happens.

#62 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 10:45 AM

Kenny, I'm just wondering if you haven't picked up a root kit. With all these programs scanning if it is malware or a virus I would think they would pick it up. The CPU jumps make me suspect that something is reporting make to mama. A root kit resides at the Windows level and is very hard to detect. There was a big scandel a few years ago when Sony would install a Root kit when you put one of their CD's in your computer to play music. From what I understand it monitored what you did with that CD and if you copied it more then once or ripped it, the program reported back to Sony but it also kept track of what music you listened to and a few other things.

There are several programs that will remove a root kit but from what I understand you have to be knowledgeable about them because if you remove the wrong one you will bring the system crashing down and you can't recover from it. So you would have to do a Windows reinstall anyway.

Kenny why don't you contact tech support at AVG and see if they can't help you. Over the years I have found them quite helpful on issues that have come up, they also have a root kit removal tool it that is the issue. Of course you could always move over to Linux and not have to worry about all this! :bounce:
  • Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#63 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Bill, I downloaded the AVG root kit tool and ran it. Found nothing. Right now, it seems okay. Can't say what tomorrow will bring.