• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 06:21 PM

I do have Advanced System Care Pro and IObit Malware Fighter. The IObit is what found the virus. It quarantined the files (6) and that's when I started to have problems. Took out Restore and I think several registry entries. Really messed things up. This is the first I have had a virus in about 2 years. I had what I thought was a good version of Norton Internet Security, but had to go to Microsoft OneCare to get rid of the virus it wouldn't find. I downloaded the McAfee from Cox to go with the internet and had a virus within three months. One care found it again. So I'll stay with my cheapy programs, they do better than the expensive ones.

#47 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 06:56 PM

Personally I like AVG. They have a free version but it doesn't protect you completely but the full version does. I have used AVG on my wife & Granddaughters PC's for years and have never had an issue. I have also recommended it to friends and clients and never had to deal with the adware, malware, virus issue on any of there PC's. I have several clients also running McAfee (Mainly because AT&T provides it for free) that have not had an issue.

I'm with you on Norton. Early on Norton failed to detect viruses on several of our computers when I worked in IT and also I had an issue on my own PC's years ago. Both Norton & McAfee have had update issues where they have either took the system down they were protecting or caused other havoc.

The Spybot has a system called Teatime that should help protect your system but you will have to tell it to update it self. Glad you got it working. :smile1:

I used to use TeaTimer all the time, but have found it to be a bit of a memory hog on older units. Still love spybot S&D and SuperAntiSpyware. Both catch different things.

I have switched over to AntiVir for my home protection. Have had 2 instances with AVG, and I kinda lost faith.

MacAfee will NEVER be on my computer again. Lost a whole Hard Drive to one of their "Updates". On an AMD machine. They released it without testing it on anything but Intel. I would've rather had a virus... Probably could've recovered from that.

Thanks for the input Bill.

#48 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 07:00 AM

I may have gotten most FF problems fixed. I went here: https://support.mozi...b/Firefox hangs
I followed several of the directions and seem to have a much smoother running FF. Look through the KB for your problem.
Mine was 'Hang loading websites' and 'Hang on exit'.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#49 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 23, 2011 - 07:37 AM

Glad to here you got it fixed Kenny, I am going to give it a try. Shawn

#50 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 10:02 AM

Not fixed as yet, I found out. Still cannot get FF to close properly. I am going to have to do some more weeding out. I'm on Chrome now. I'm thinking the virus added something into FF.

#51 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 10:30 AM

Kenny, Finally my FF is running well, I don't know what thing I did made it work right, but it's running. George had me uninstall anr install the newest vesion, 7. something. It's posted in this thread. good Luck Buddy, computer issues make me want to take mine outside and shoot it with my shotgun...

#52 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 10:53 AM

Computer issues make me want to take mine outside and shoot it with my shotgun...

I know exactly what you mean.

#53 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 12:41 PM

Since FF had become an unstable browser, I decided to get rid of it. I also took out all user data, including bookmarks. I will reinstall it later and maybe I will have a good installation then. I had to dump all my bookmarks with it, so I may be a bit slow looking things up for you guys.

#54 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 05:00 PM

After uninstalling and deleting any trace of the 'old' FF, I have just downloaded a new copy of the installation program. Lets hope this works better.

#55 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 05:26 PM

Kenny, I do too !!!!!

It will drive you crazy, at least it did me, wasn't a long trip..:wallbanging:

:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:

#56 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 07:27 PM

Well, that was an exercise in futility. Did the exact same thing, would not close completely. It's gone again. May be stuck with Chrome and IE8.

#57 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 06:17 AM

Brian, I downloaded the version George linked. I will uninstall the old (6.0.2) version and any trace of FF I can find and try this one. Thanks, guys.

#58 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 06:57 AM

Well, so far it is working much faster. Need to test some more, especially closing it. I hope this is a good fix.. I have other things that need to be worked on.
  • trowel said thank you

#59 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 03:49 PM

Nada! No fix! At my wits end on this. FF will not close correctly, period. There is something some where triggering every problem. I am not enough of a guru on this thing to fix it. Going to stay with Chrome for now so I can get online.

#60 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 07:30 AM

:dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana:
Late last night, the light finally came on. I have found the cause of all this. The password I had here and at My Yahoo/mail account were the same. Yahoo has some problems going on and I got the password changed there. Tried the same thing here, and am happy to say, FF 6.0.2 is running fine. I used that password at two other places, will have to e-mail them to get it changed. No way to log in to do it. Apparently, some one hacked into the accounts at Yahoo, support is backed up for a couple days they said.