• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 01:51 PM

Thanks George, that solved the problem. Now all I have to do is import all my stuff again...Thanks Again !!

#32 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 01:58 PM

AAHA! as the light bulb comes on! Check your fire wall setting for your wife. I'd bet it has her blocked. What security suite do you use?

#33 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 02:05 PM

McAfee 2011 Antivirus. I also am running SUPERAntiSpyware, it get a lot of the Adware, Spyware, Malware, Trojans, and Worms, Parasites that McAfee and the others miss. It's free and does a great job on the computers that are shared by my family.....

superantispyware.jpg

#34 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 02:22 PM

The reason I'm switching browsers, I have been told by several people that most hackers don't waste their time on FF and Chrome. Something like 90+ of all internet users use IE to surf the web. I am tired of fixing my computer every few months because of stuff getting in the O.S. My wife is all over the web looking for deals and coupons every week, she is now saving us over 60% on our Grocery bill each week. Then there is my Daughters, how I try to oversee what they are doing, but some of the so called safe sites for games are loaded up with Ad-ware and Spyware among other viruses. I guess I am just supposed to deal and fix the issues all the time, but I am loosing out on the IMPORTANT stuff...GT talk !!! I can't take it anymore.

#35 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 08:56 PM

Open McAfee Security center, expand the Web & Email protection topic, you will see firewall as a hyperlink click on it then down the page you will see program permissions expand it out and find Firefox it should have Full permissions if not change it. You will need to do this under your wife's and/or daughters login.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#36 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 04:19 AM

I ran a scan yesterday morning. Found a Trojan. Quarantined it. Then Firefox would lockup the computer upon opening it. After numerous tries a getting back on, I finally deleted the Firefox folder and shortcut. Re-installed, and can now get back on. I used Chrome and could do about anything. Firefox was staying on in the task manager. Hopefully got it back to it's old 'slow' self.

#37 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 06:38 AM

Found out if I use any bookmarks from FF on Chrome, it screws things up again. May be down for a couple days doing a full restore.

#38 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 10:05 AM

Found out if I use any bookmarks from FF on Chrome, it screws things up again. May be down for a couple days doing a full restore.

Kenny, before I would do a restore I would try a couple of other tools first. The first tool is to install spybot you can get it here: The home of Spybot-S&D!. After you install it run the update then let it do it's thing and of course clean out anything it finds.

The next tool is combofix it is a command line tool but works very well straightening out the registry and other issues with windows. You can get it here: Bleeping Computer Downloads: ComboFix Download

A restore is my last resort unless there are other issues that warrant a restore

As far as moving the bookmarks over, you don't say how you are doing it but I will usually create an html file from one then import that file into the other browser that way I feel I have more control and since an html file is really just a text file I can go in and edit it as I need to.

Hth
  • KennyP said thank you

#39 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 11:06 AM

Thanks, Bill. I have just let the browser move things. I am on another computer right now. The problems I am having now are all browsers are not shutting down and stay running, It won't shut down and restart like it should, especially if the internet connection is enabled. I will have to down load anything onto this computer and move it on cd to that one.

#40 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 01:33 PM

Bill, got the programs loaded and running SpyBot right now. Thanks.

#41 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 01:38 PM

Good information there Bill Thanks

Kenny, before I would do a restore I would try a couple of other tools first. The first tool is to install spybot you can get it here: The home of Spybot-S&D!. After you install it run the update then let it do it's thing and of course clean out anything it finds.

The next tool is combofix it is a command line tool but works very well straightening out the registry and other issues with windows. You can get it here: Bleeping Computer Downloads: ComboFix Download

A restore is my last resort unless there are other issues that warrant a restore

As far as moving the bookmarks over, you don't say how you are doing it but I will usually create an html file from one then import that file into the other browser that way I feel I have more control and since an html file is really just a text file I can go in and edit it as I need to.

Hth

#42 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 03:07 PM

Ran both programs and can get here with FF. Going to close it and see what happens during and after restart. Seems to be working much better.

#43 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Kenny: What did spybot detect? What security suite are you running? If it has a current subscription and is up to date then you should not have to be going through all this.

Ducky: your welcome.

#44 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 05:32 PM

I have Avast installed at the moment. I will not use Norton or McAfee. I've had viruses on here they didn't detect. Anything free.
I'm not sure what all if found, some tracking cookies and a couple other things. Combo fix had 7 pages of log to it. Deleted a lot of things. But seems to work now. I'm back on FF. Thanks for the links to these, they will be on every computer in the house.

#45 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 06:00 PM

Personally I like AVG. They have a free version but it doesn't protect you completely but the full version does. I have used AVG on my wife & Granddaughters PC's for years and have never had an issue. I have also recommended it to friends and clients and never had to deal with the adware, malware, virus issue on any of there PC's. I have several clients also running McAfee (Mainly because AT&T provides it for free) that have not had an issue.

I'm with you on Norton. Early on Norton failed to detect viruses on several of our computers when I worked in IT and also I had an issue on my own PC's years ago. Both Norton & McAfee have had update issues where they have either took the system down they were protecting or caused other havoc.

The Spybot has a system called Teatime that should help protect your system but you will have to tell it to update it self. Glad you got it working. :smile1: