• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Night4wolves OFFLINE  

Night4wolves

• Member No: 6386
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 12:39 PM

Hi Guy's I learned a long time ago need help go to a forum! Pulled out my speedex after she sat in the shop for ten years, did a little cleanup, new fuel/ blew out air filter, new plug grabbed a battery from another unit put some fuel in the tank and turned the key! she cranked as always but this time around it was spiting gas from the exhaust and not firing? Pulled the plug to test it and no spark I also noticed when I turned it over fuel spraying from the top of the cylinder? the carb was filled to the top with gas and pouring out the bottom. I need to know what model/Motor this is and where a may find some info to help me rebuild the carb and am guessing a magneto for the spark?
Thanks all.

Maybe the photos will help ya out?101_1490.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 101_1488.jpg
  • 101_1486.jpg
  • 101_1489.jpg
  • 101_1460.jpg
  • 101_1458.jpg

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 02:19 PM

First off, Welcome to GTT! :wave:

The motor is a Briggs and stratton.
In picture number 6, that is where your points are located. Did you open that up and see how the contacts are inside?
  • Night4wolves said thank you

#3 Night4wolves OFFLINE  

Night4wolves

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome I'm glad your here!, No I wanted to find out what I could before I started ripping into her! That was what I needed folks to point out where I need to be looking, am going to remove the carb tonight and see if there's a hole in my float and clean it up. that my be causing the flooding? The motor and it's workings our much older then am use to so any help I can get is great.
Thanks again

#4 Night4wolves OFFLINE  

Night4wolves

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 03:19 PM

Got the carb out and cleaned up, no hole float thanks goodness, just my own lack of draining the carb before I put it away for ten years and the fuel gumming up, so that's all better, now off to what you had pointed out with the contacts? Am hoping to get her back up ASAP to use it for the driveway am tired of tearing up the lawn tractors of today, then having to weld or fix it before I mow the lawn each year. I was going to sell it but changed my mind once I cleaned her up it's well made compared to today's products out there.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 04:51 PM

Night4Wolves,welcome to the forum.
Glad to have you with us.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 05:35 PM

Here's a manual that helps explain the ignition system

Page 16 is where is startsB&S Model 14 - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

#7 Night4wolves OFFLINE  

Night4wolves

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 07:19 PM

Here's a manual that helps explain the ignition system

Page 16 is where is startsB&S Model 14 - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Thanks again Bolens, Unfortunately The security system I keep won't allow me to open it?
I will though head up now that I have some idea what model it is "14" to the library and take a look.
Checked the contacts and they are opening and closing when I crank the motor and lightly sanded them to no avail, I have a good feeling the cats where sleeping on the job! I noticed a small nest right where the wire from the key start and the spark plug head into the case!! Question if you have time, it looks as if I need to pull the starter pulley on the motor to get that case off is that true? and if so should a puller be used?

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 07:41 PM

I'm not sure if that is the exact model of your engine, but it looks close to what you have.

To take the shroud off it appears you will have to take atleast 2 bolts out and the pulley on the flywheel should come off.

If you cant access the manual let me know

#9 Night4wolves OFFLINE  

Night4wolves

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 04:14 AM

I'm not sure if that is the exact model of your engine, but it looks close to what you have.

To take the shroud off it appears you will have to take atleast 2 bolts out and the pulley on the flywheel should come off.

If you cant access the manual let me know

Yep that did it, and am I glad!! After removing the cover and more mouse crap and nesting then I've ever seen I was able to see that a ground wire had come apart from what am thinking is a coil for the spark plug? I'm considering replacing it while I have it apart any idea where I might find one or something to replace it? It seems very corroded with the help of my little buddies!!

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 05:13 AM

Welcome. Glad you have some help with your Speedex. Nice tractor, hope getting it to fire doesn't take much. Good luck!

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 07:36 AM

Yep that did it, and am I glad!! After removing the cover and more mouse crap and nesting then I've ever seen I was able to see that a ground wire had come apart from what am thinking is a coil for the spark plug? I'm considering replacing it while I have it apart any idea where I might find one or something to replace it? It seems very corroded with the help of my little buddies!!

I'm not sure where to get a coil.... They usually dont go bad too often. I would just clean it up the best I could and see what happens

Hopefully someone else chimes in on where to possibly get a coil

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 07:59 AM

Same old, same old, it's the coil, always going bad on those, what model is it, 14 ?, 23 ?, i wish i found this thread faster so i can save you the time and aggavation, briggs no longer Mfg those coils but sells them at a stupidly high price, this is were i get the coils from : Briggs & Stratton Coils
  • Bolens 1000 and Night4wolves have said thanks

#13 Night4wolves OFFLINE  

Night4wolves

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 04:04 PM

Same old, same old, it's the coil, always going bad on those, what model is it, 14 ?, 23 ?, i wish i found this thread faster so i can save you the time and aggavation, briggs no longer Mfg those coils but sells them at a stupidly high price, this is were i get the coils from : Briggs & Stratton Coils

Thanks Trowel, I ran a test on the coil and came up with some numbers, any idea what the resistance should be on the coil? I leaning more towards my contacts being shot? I went to the B&S site but don't see contacts or condenser unless I missed them? The motor is a 243400

#14 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 05:33 PM

Lawn Mower Parts, Small Engine Parts & Much More! | PartsTree.com - Briggs, MTD, Toro, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Troy-bilt...

Lawn Mower Parts, Small Engine Parts & Much More! | PartsTree.com - Briggs, MTD, Toro, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Troy-bilt...

Yours looks like a Model 23 with the flow-jet carburetor,

This should get you started, if you have pulled the flywheel please take a picture of the coil so i can tell you which model it may be, forget trying to mess with the coil, even if it sparked it is degrading interally, trust me, i have fought with the coils many times trying to figure out how to make it work again, coil is cheap compared to the points and condenser, i have worked on model 14, 19, 19d, 23, 23r and others all with the same problem, save your self some time and money, if you can not afford the points and condenser there are electronic ignition kits available for most of these engines, condensers usually don't go bad, stop by a auto parts store and buy a cheap condenser to wire in as a test, file the points flat and untill very shiny and clean with a points file, cut and splice the end of the wire on the condenser and screw the exposed end onto the points, make shure the condenser is contacting bare metal or it will not work, if you are unshure, take a very clear close picture of the points and i should be able to tell you if it can still be used,
if you need a rebuilt kit for the carburator, NAPA Auto Parts can order them or i can provide a website that has them.

First, before anything, please post a picture of the coil itself so i can give you the model no., we can go from there, those are very good engines.
  • Night4wolves said thank you

#15 Night4wolves OFFLINE  

Night4wolves

• 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 10, 2011 - 04:24 PM

Will do, Thanks Trowel I've been out of town and really need to get this thing going with what ever it takes? I'm leaning towards the Magnetron Ign. and new coil if that's what I need? but will still snap a photos so you can let me know if am ordering the right part#