• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 12:07 PM

I had the 314 out yesterday tuning the carb to try to get rid of the hunting in the governor. I was out back in the sand playing around and noticed that both wheels were spinning in the soft sand. Is the rear end on these limited slip? There is no mention of that in the manual. If I slow down in the sand and then give it full speed ahead both wheels will spin for a bit then only one. When trying on purpose to make it spin by backing slowly up a hill both wheels would spin.
The hydro's in these things seem strong. I can't wait to get something for the sleeve hitch so I can see how it will pull.

#2 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 05:08 PM

I recommend NOT doing hole shots, you'll shear the roll pin that connects the drive shaft to the input shaft of the rear end. Ask me how I know.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 07:25 PM

I recommend NOT doing hole shots, you'll shear the roll pin that connects the drive shaft to the input shaft of the rear end. Ask me how I know.

No hole shots but just playing around in the loose sand out back. It is real easy to spin the tires in that stuff. It would take a lot to shear that pin off. I am impressed with the hydro in this thing. It just seems to be a stronger unit then the Japanese ones they put in the newer JD's.

#4 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 05:31 PM

Brain it should be just an open rear you can tell by just jacking it up with both wheels off the ground , and turn one wheel the other should go the other way. This is a true garden tractor made for ground attachments {turn plows ,disc, cultivators,tillers } not like a lot of the new ones

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 06:39 PM

Brain it should be just an open rear you can tell by just jacking it up with both wheels off the ground , and turn one wheel the other should go the other way. This is a true garden tractor made for ground attachments {turn plows ,disc, cultivators,tillers } not like a lot of the new ones

Yes, I have done that lots of times while working on it and the differential seems to operate just fine. However, the undriven wheel does seem to have some traction, which is puzzling. I hope the rear end isn't messed up in some way.