• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 09:02 AM

Just been a couple to 3 months since major milk tank problems. It had an internal tank leak which cost us $700 to fix, then within a week of that, one of the cooling compressors went out, for a grand total of both cases of $2500! The cooling is done with a compressor unit cooling one side of the tank wall. The same side that failed last time has apparently done it again. I found it dead Saturday. Have a tech coming with his "gas sniffer" to see for sure where the leak is. I would love to buy a brand new tank, but at 25 grand minimum, it is totally out of the question! A decent used tank is around 6 to 10 grand, which may be what we need to do, as this tank seems to be at the end of it's life.

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 09:20 AM

Sorry to hear of the bulk tank issues. Hopefully the second compressor was able to maintain temperature.

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 09:22 AM

Sorry to hear of the bulk tank issues. Hopefully the second compressor was able to maintain temperature.

This not so hot weather is a good thing right now. The 1st milking is the only slower cooling time, but still brings it down below 50F less than an hour of finishing milking, which is a kind of threshold time. Actually, yesterday it shut off at 36F within that hour, so good to go at the moment. I added R22 and the bad side would cycle for a few seconds, then stop, so it's leaking pretty fast.

Edited by olcowhand, September 19, 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 10:09 AM

Thats not good Daniel, Sorry your having more life on the farm issues.

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 10:43 AM

Time and temperature cycles take their toll on any cooling system. Everytime that system starts and stops it expands and contracts. I think your right, might be time for something different. How about no more milking?

#6 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Sorry to hear you are having major $$ issues with equipment again Dan, family farming seems to be one broken piece of equipment after another.
Hope it works out OK.
P.

#7 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 11:06 AM

Sorry to hear that Dan. Keep up the good work,We as a nation need you to keep us eating! Shawn

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 11:53 AM

Wow Daniel, sorry. Hope the tech finds it quickly & can fix it cheap.

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 12:40 PM

Well guys, lady luck was on my side! Turns out the tank was fine! This system when it reaches shutdown pumps all the gas back into a reserve tank. I first thought the solenoid that causes the pump-down had failed, which would leave the gas locked & unable to circulate. But checking it, I could tell it was functioning. That's when I tried more gas, but no luck & called in the pro's. Turns out it was a faulty expansion valve keeping the gas locked up! Rich of course had a new one & installed it. He had to pull the excess gas off & I'm back in business! I've never had an expansion valve go on me, so I didn't suspect it. Plus I have learned lately to expect the worst. Luckily it wasn't the case this time. :D

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 12:45 PM

Good to hear you got it fixed! Milking parlor is not good without a good cooler. Might want to install a backup system when the budget allows?
My uncle always kept two coolers. as I recall one always had water/ melons in it, but could be cleaned and milk transferred over if needed. I loved spending summers on his dairy farm.

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 12:47 PM

Good to hear you got it fixed! Milking parlor is not good without a good cooler. Might want to install a backup system when the budget allows?
My uncle always kept two coolers.

This is a split system (two 5hp units), but with just one, things cool slow. Very slow in hot weather.

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 01:06 PM

Great news Daniel, Thanks for the update !!!

#13 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 01:39 PM

Glad to hear you had some good news and a less expensive fix on the tank.

#14 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 02:54 PM

The TX valve (thermal expansion) has a screen in it. It usually gets stopped up by debris that:
1: The tech let in when he messed with the system
2: The filter dryer is comming apart
3: The compressor is starting to go

Or it could have just been the cap tube that conects the bulb to the power head had a hole in it and let the small gas charge out. This will keep the valave from opening fully.

R22 systems are not currently in production due to the phase out. For AC the new gas is R410A, AKA: puron

If you have a clean water source, on hot days run a mister near the condensor.

With your skills and equipment you can probably improvise a ground or water source system and save energy.

Goto run. Give you more later.

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 03:51 PM

The TX valve (thermal expansion) has a screen in it. It usually gets stopped up by debris that:
1: The tech let in when he messed with the system
2: The filter dryer is comming apart
3: The compressor is starting to go

Or it could have just been the cap tube that conects the bulb to the power head had a hole in it and let the small gas charge out. This will keep the valave from opening fully.

R22 systems are not currently in production due to the phase out. For AC the new gas is R410A, AKA: puron

If you have a clean water source, on hot days run a mister near the condensor.

With your skills and equipment you can probably improvise a ground or water source system and save energy.

Goto run. Give you more later.

The little square block on the bottom of the the expansion valve that the capillary tube is attached was pitted badly, so that's where it lost it's charge. I never smelled anything, so it likely lost it while I was out of the parlor at night. He said you usually can smell the cap charge.
Even with both cooling sets running, on severe hot days, I run a mister. Before next summer I plan to make an automatic mister. Using a water solenoid from a dishwasher, I'll plumb it direct, then have the solenoid wired to come on with the condenser fan. The way I've done it up to now uses too much water, as I tend to forget & it runs even after coolers have shut off, plus it runs water between fan cycles, which is just a waste too. I'll likely use high pressure round pattern spray nozzles off a crop sprayer. The crop spray nozzles I've been using are flat spray pattern/higher volume & don't give as broad a coverage area on the condensers. As you know Coldone, it takes just a very fine mist to really make the cooler much more efficient. I've even considered doing this on my home AC, but it's not well water, so it'll cost some to run it, but then with a fine mist, it wouldn't use much water.