18 replies to this topic

#1 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted April 25, 2010 - 11:32 PM

Well fellas, got done planting corn before getting rained out so had time to go pick up my supposable MF 1650(according to the hood decal) but upon arrival I discovered the serial tag read 1450 with a 4810 mower deck.....seller had no idea about that one.....not a happy camper about that! Someone installed a 1650 hood on the tractor. Tractor and mower are in very tough condition so don't know what to do now......restore it or junk it?? What do you guys think......anyone have a good parts machine or any of the plastic parts on the operators station....need the piece that the choke lever mounts in if I decide to restore this ole girl!? Engine is shot so I was gonna put a honda 24 hp in it from that small engine warehouse....see they have engines on ebay 4 sale......is it worth all the work......what should I do????

#2 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted April 26, 2010 - 06:33 AM

Show us some pics of it.......
  • geissenkid said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 26, 2010 - 07:24 AM

It would be nice to see pics of it to be able to give a better opinion. I think as long as she isn't all rusted out and other then a couple of pieces missing then it would be worth restoring. Also depends on how much you paid for the tractor.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 26, 2010 - 08:57 AM

Yep, post some pics so we can evaluate.

#5 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted April 26, 2010 - 10:04 AM

will do guys.....will post them later this evening! Thanks

#6 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted April 26, 2010 - 02:28 PM

that honda is too much money. just rebuild the motor you have. for the price of the honda you could get a nice 1655 or 1855 that comes with a better engine

#7 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted April 26, 2010 - 02:35 PM

a 1650 and a 1450 are the same thing take the 2hp
that tractor is worth the work
whats wrong with the motor?
put some pictures

#8 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted April 26, 2010 - 09:52 PM

Heres one pic....will post more when my cellphone decides to start working again! Found a 1655 today and have decided to buy it instead...anyone interested in this beast.....350.00 takes it home!massey1450..jpg

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted April 26, 2010 - 10:01 PM

Know nothing about it....needs a starter and battery before any fire in the hole.....has sat for a long time and judging by the front grille it looks to me like its a oil burner by the thick coat of smoke/oily residue on grille screen? Steering has alot of slop in it. Tires all seem to hold air. Needs a seat. Don't know if the mower is any good, don't know if the hydro works or slips.....in a nut shell I know zero about it!

#10 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 - 03:04 PM

Heres one pic....will post more when my cellphone decides to start working again! Found a 1655 today and have decided to buy it instead...anyone interested in this beast.....350.00 takes it home![ATTACH=CONFIG]2042[/ATTACH]

Lets see the 1655, awesome machines.....

#11 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 28, 2010 - 10:26 PM

where you at, I'm interested

#12 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted May 02, 2010 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the interest hooligan but I traded the MF 1450 in on the MF 1655. Just brought it home saturday morning and mower with it last night for the first time......awesome machine and just like I remembered my grandpas! Massey Ferguson did their homework when they built/introduced this mower! Doesn't really need it but think I'll restore and repower it this coming winter. Will post pics as soon as time permits.

#13 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 03, 2010 - 06:40 AM

By "repower", do you mean change the original engine? I've never seen a new engine as good as the old ones rebuilt.

#14 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted May 03, 2010 - 10:18 PM

Yeah...repower as in take the onan out and install a honda 24hp engine. Engine is perfectly fine and uses no oil but lacks alot of power compared to my dads john deere.....he passes me in the yard and I can't stomach a deere passing me!! So whats the problem with repowering this tractor with a honda?? Whats so fantastic about the onan that it can't be replaced??

#15 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 04, 2010 - 12:51 AM

Yeah...repower as in take the onan out and install a honda 24hp engine. Engine is perfectly fine and uses no oil but lacks alot of power compared to my dads john deere.....he passes me in the yard and I can't stomach a deere passing me!! So whats the problem with repowering this tractor with a honda?? Whats so fantastic about the onan that it can't be replaced??

Nothing if that's what you want to do. kind of like putting a Honda engine in a 68 camaro. Did you ever think it could possibly be the gearing? I don't know, but I'm not a fan of non American iron. A whole lot of the concept of these forums deals in the restoration of these older machines, very little about repowering ones with good engines for the purpose of making them "fast". That's my opinion, you have yours, no skin off my nose. If I'm ever lucky enough to get a 1855, I wouldn't put a Honda engine in it. What's wrong with a Vanguard or a Kohler twin? I can tell you that while honda USED to make the best engine out there, but the last few years there stuff has really fallen off in quality, check it out yourself.