• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 09:35 PM

One of natures best things on bees and wasps is they cant fly around after its dark. They can buzz and bluff, but flight aint going to happen. My best time is to get them at nite. The cheapest thing ive found is brake parts cleaner. Shoot out almost as far as the pricy wasp & hornet sprays.

#17 jrk OFFLINE  

jrk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1621
  • 42 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 10:07 PM

Wacked a wasp nest the other day ... had a can of left over DeIcer that I used to kill them little burgers! Worked great ...

#18 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 10:12 PM

Man when I first started this thread I didn't think there was going to be a much interest in it.
One thing I've learned from reading all the posts is Wasps are not liked.

#19 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 10:51 PM

I tell ya, i dont have so much as the time of day for those things!

#20 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 03:10 AM

About 4 years ago i was painting under the gutters on a double peaked roof on an old folks home my boss/buddy owned. the only way to do this comfortably was to lay down on the lower roof and reach under the edge with the brush and roller,the upper section was normal shingle but the lower part i was laying on was old fashioned cedar shakes, as im working the paintbrush my heels are bouncing off the shakes closer to the lower gutter . I just finished swatting 2 wasps away from my face and a third comes near my face so i swat it away as well and look down towards my feet to see what must have been a swarm of several hundred in the air around my feet . thats when the first one nailed me , so theres several hundred in the air and a steady stream of little beestards coming out of 5 spots in the roof already in fully PISSED mode , by the time i dropped the brush and stood up i probably had 10 or so stings. i ran down the length of the roof swatting as i go getting stung as i ran , nearly ran right off the roof, im now 60 feet from the nest and they are still swarming me,hell with the ladder, i jump to the ground and run around the side of the building,still swatting,still getting stung, run the rest of the way to the bottom of the property and back east , total run about 140 yards . so now im at the bottom of the property squirming and doing a striptease in the middle of the back yard . ended up pulling 27 stingers out with tweezers and swabbing the bod down with vinegar. ol johnnys pulling the stingers outa my back where i couldnt reach and he says "swab it with honey , it will take the sting out " Last thing i want is to be a bee magnet even if the honey was a good remedy . im not allergic but i got enough venom to swell my lips and eyelids a little . another 5 stings and i would have made the trip to the docs . there was about 50 more stingers stuck in my socks and shirt,both white, very few stuck in my blue shorts .So if your going to take out that nest , DONT WEAR WHITE.
bee mask.jpg here i am enjoying a cool beer after a hard day of painting :D beer...gods natural painkiller

Edited by rexknightly, September 20, 2011 - 04:06 AM.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 03:29 AM

I really like the Spectracide. I've even killed ground hornets with it. We were painting a house once, was infested with red wasps. These are very aggressive. Took three cans and caulking their holes shut to get the painting finished. Got stung several (10+) times, but I won.
This will drop and kill them like nothing else I have seen, other than the WD-40 and lighter.

#22 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 03:54 AM

I really like the Spectracide. I've even killed ground hornets with it. We were painting a house once, was infested with red wasps. These are very aggressive. Took three cans and caulking their holes shut to get the painting finished. Got stung several (10+) times, but I won.
This will drop and kill them like nothing else I have seen, other than the WD-40 and lighter.

hard to beat the wd40 flamethrower for shear entertainment and satisfaction,as long as you dont light off the whole structure . and i didnt beat you up this mornin kenny,never went to bed yet.

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 04:08 AM

We had chili last night, woke up with mild indigestion. Never fails.
I haven't noticed too many wasps this year, maybe they gave up around here.

#24 89YT12 OFFLINE  

89YT12

• Member No: 4980
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 06:53 PM

LOL i had to use a can of clear coat paint and a lighter one time, it was all i had that wouldnt paint the house, it was late and they were right near my grill and i wanted steaks LOL

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 08:35 PM

We had chili last night, woke up with mild indigestion. Never fails.
I haven't noticed too many wasps this year, maybe they gave up around here.

So you're saying you use natural gas to kill them while you sleep? :bigrofl:

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 21, 2011 - 03:22 AM

Must be working. Haven't seen them around much.:bigrofl:

#27 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 09:03 PM

Got stung today by 1 wasp, was cutting grass in a spot that I don't go into that often, must of disturbed them.
I didn't have my normal reaction to it this time, usually (the last 3 times) I itch all over, sweat, sore throat and break out in hives every inch of my body. This lasts about 4hrs then goes away as quick as it came. Last 3 times it was multiple 2 to 5 stings each time.
This time I only have a swollen elbow, only got stung once.
I hate wasps.

#28 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 09:29 PM

The only good wasp is a DEAD ONE if I see a nest it will come down.Hpoe I been stung my last time but know better.

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 06:58 AM

I hate wasps.

:ditto: the only thing I like about wasps is the crunch they make when you squish one.