• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 06:36 PM

Here is a directory of stuff still made in the USA.

Still Made in USA.com - American-Made Products for Home and Family

Made me check on the Wolverine boots I'm wearing. Wolverine is just like Redwing, a line of 100% USA made, then a line that is "assembled in the USA". Happy to say my boots are 100% USA built!

#17 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 225 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 08:03 PM

Most Massey tractors were and still are made in England and France. The Massey company actually originated in Ontario, Canada. I couldn't care less if what I buy is made in the US or not. Mind you I'm a proud Canadian and I do support Canadian made products and I do understand where your coming from, but I don't whine and complain about anything that's made elsewhere either. Fact is the products are only as good as the quality control standards set by the company. You can have something designed by an US/Canadian company that is manufactured overseas, that is actually much higher quality than a similar product manufactured in the US/Canada with lower quality standards.

#18 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 08:16 PM

If the American people don't step up to the plate, And keep the jobs at home at what point will it be that there are NO JOBS!!!!!!! And here is another QUIT THROWING OUR MONEY AWAY
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#19 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 10:31 PM

Its not up to the American people. Its up to the publically held companies who sell out the American worker because it is a load cheaper to make goods in countries that dont have the overhead (EPA, Union, Heathcare plans, on top of the higher wages). They make more money for 10 years before the products catch up with them.

google "Boeing + NLRB" and tell me why you should be surprised any manufacturer is staying in America
Boeing NLRB - Google Search

#20 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• Member No: 5542
  • 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:19 AM

If the American people don't step up to the plate, And keep the jobs at home at what point will it be that there are NO JOBS!!!!!!! And here is another QUIT THROWING OUR MONEY AWAY

thats what I'm talking about, These old tractors were made by American workers and American companies. I dont care how cheap products get, if the American worker doesnt have a good paying job they cant buy those products. American companies have outsourced, moved their headquaters, and shipped all the jobs and money overseas. wages havent gone up hardly at all in 25 years, put prices have skyrocketed, sucking the wealth and savings from the American people, our children and grandchildren do not and will not have the American dream, its been sold, cheap

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 09:36 AM

I'm so confused! I've been a Chrysler Product driver all my life. Now if Ibuy a Chrysler product the money goes To Benz overseas and the car is likely built outside the US. You can say the same about most of the other makers as well.
Having been UAW for 14 yrs and a Company man for the last 25 yrs. I'm not sure where my loyalty lies. I can see both sides of any arguement?
I have not bought a new vehicle since 1974. Am looking to buy another car soon, and with a 42 mile commute each way if I can cut my fuel cost in 1/2 it would amount to a good raise. A VW TDI Diesel could get me to around 2 gal of fuel per day, so that's what I'm looking for. The same goes for a small Tractor, JD & Cadet use The Yanmar Diesel, So if I buy a Japanese Tractor it is very little different..
No american maker is making a car with Diesel, so they are making the choice for me. I would love to buy American, but I don't see the American makers making what I need.
Shame on me, or Shame on the Makers? They make the choices we buy the results.

#22 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 225 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 03:35 PM

Diamler has no part of Chrysler anymore. They are actually partnered with Fiat, who by the way owns CNH Global, which is Case IH and New Holland. Chrysler has a plant or two in Ontario, I think they make the Chargers, Challengers, Caravans, and 300's there. I'm sure they have factories in the US as well. I'm not trying to sell you on a Chrysler, honestly I love the VW cars and I would buy one before a Chrysler myself.

EDIT: Here is a link to the list of Chrysler factories and what is produced at each...

http://en.wikipedia....ysler_factories

Edited by mac102004, September 19, 2011 - 03:38 PM.
added link

#23 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 04:12 PM

Mac I gues I knew that and Forgot?? I've driven about every make of car at one time or another . But always seem to come back to Chrysler products. Currently driving a Concorde and it's getting tired 200 K + and need replaced. I',ve had two VW Rabbits, 1 Gas and 1 Diesel and loved both, so would not hesitate to get another.

Chrysler is importing the Fiat 600(Panda) this year. But it's a little smaller than I would like on the interstate running with the 18 wheelers.

#24 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 07:37 PM

My JD2320 is made in Japan by Yanmar but designed by JD. I think most of the major manufacturers have their small CUT's made in Japan. JD has had a relationship with Yanmar for many years. The Japanese make very good small tractors. Perhaps that is because they have smaller farms than here in North America. The local MF dealer is also a Kubota dealer. They stock only Kubotas below a certain size and only MF's for large tractors.

#25 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:14 PM

I feel as though my $.02 might be of value here. If you follow the link that I posted here, you will see that the heads of corporations have earned more and more as the years tick by. The earnings of this small group of people by-and-large are controlled by stock holders who LOVE fat dividend checks! The more money Mr.CEO can make them the more they are willing to pay him/her. As many of you are aware, those same majority stock holders also control a large portion of our lawmaking machinery in Washington. (And I don't care what party you're looking at, they're all corrupted at this point) Until the American people take back the Government that doles out incentives for shipping jobs overseas (because it makes the dividend checks fatter), we are doomed to continue our spiral out of control! I don't claim to have all of the answers, or even a solution to the problem because like many, I feel that it's much larger than I am. But one thing that I have leaned in my relatively short span, is that if you follow the big money, you'll find the ones who make and break the rules as they see fit. Maybe I'm completely wrong about this...and I really hope that I am...but that's the way that I see it. I don't think that money is evil and I don't have anything against a company making a profit, but when the profits undermine entire economies, maybe we should look at it more closely. There are volumes of depth to this subject that we cannot begin to scratch the surface of here. OK, I'm off the soapbox now.. sorry for the rant!

#26 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• Member No: 5542
  • 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 11:39 PM

I feel as though my $.02 might be of value here. If you follow the link that I posted here, you will see that the heads of corporations have earned more and more as the years tick by. The earnings of this small group of people by-and-large are controlled by stock holders who LOVE fat dividend checks! The more money Mr.CEO can make
them the more they are willing to pay him/her. As many of you are aware, those same majority stock holders also control a large portion of our lawmaking machinery in Washington. (And I don't care what party you're looking at, they're all corrupted at this point) Until the American people take back the Government that doles out incentives for shipping jobs overseas (because it makes the dividend checks fatter), we are doomed to continue our spiral out of control! I don't claim to have all of the answers, or even a solution to the problem because like many, I feel that it's much larger than I am. But one thing that I have leaned in my relatively short span, is that if you follow the big money, you'll find the ones who make and break the rules as they see fit. Maybe I'm completely wrong about this...and I really hope that I am...but that's the way that I see it. I don't think that money is evil and I don't have anything against a company making a profit, but when the profits undermine entire economies, maybe we should look at it more closely. There are volumes of depth to this subject that we cannot begin to scratch the surface of here. OK, I'm off the soapbox now.. sorry for the rant!

Your 100 percent right on all counts, the corruption and greed that has overtaken our businesses and our political leaders will lead to the fall of the greatest society the world has ever known, and it wont be long

#27 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 03:49 AM

I thought I would chime in on this because there are a few industries that are still producing 100% American made products i.e. the company I just started working for.

We make Aerospace components and parts for Eaton/Aeroquip and all of our raw materials and casting are from American owned and operated companies.

Which I take pride in every time a plane flys over or you see a report of a missile taking out a bad guy.

Our standards are the highest in the industry and they have to be not because we have a need to outdo another company (which we do) but because the parts we make have to be the best (lives are at stake) every time an aircraft is serviced or leaves the ground.

Yes there are problems with some industries but some still take pride in what they do.

Ron

#28 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 01:25 PM

I remember taking the family on a camping trip once. In the next spot was a HUGE motor home. I mean HUGE! We are in a older 2wd pickup pulling a 19' camper. Got to visiting with the owner and come to find out he was a Union representative for the pipe fitters. Excuse me while I clear my throat, to me this set a very poor example and it is something I have never forgot. When the pipe fitters are out on the picket line, did this individual see a cut in his wages? I am not against unions and believe strongly that in the beginning they did a fabulous job for the workers and with careful consideration to the image they are projecting, still could.

#29 millwright OFFLINE  

millwright

• Member No: 3555
  • 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 10:45 AM

cvans , i don't get it

#30 Bipitybopityboo OFFLINE  

Bipitybopityboo

• Member No: 5448
  • 14 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 04:03 PM

I remember taking the family on a camping trip once. In the next spot was a HUGE motor home. I mean HUGE! We are in a older 2wd pickup pulling a 19' camper. Got to visiting with the owner and come to find out he was a Union representative for the pipe fitters. Excuse me while I clear my throat, to me this set a very poor example and it is something I have never forgot. When the pipe fitters are out on the picket line, did this individual see a cut in his wages? I am not against unions and believe strongly that in the beginning they did a fabulous job for the workers and with careful consideration to the image they are projecting, still could.

cvans , i don't get it

I believe Chris is saying that some National Union Reps are turning into or have turned into exactly what they accuse the evil companies of. I begrudge no man or woman their wages, I think that's purely between the individual(s) and their employer. Do I wish I was made of money? Sure. But I am not and wish those who are well.

My rub is when someone's sole purpose in life is to demand someone else give more, make less, etc and the one demanding makes no such sacrifices themselves. Worse yet, showboat that lack of commitment to their cause by living large while those they represent and their employers both wonder if their electric bill will get paid this month.