Case 444

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigheter OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6345
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 05:47 AM

My old Case 444 free wheels on the down grade. How can I correct that? Are they like that or is there a problem with the hydraulics? Thanks

#2 Billygoat OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 06:19 AM

Unfortunately they are like that. One has to move the travel lever to the "retard" position to help hold it back on the older ones. If one puts the brake on it moves the travel lever to neutral and makes runaway worse. The travel lever can be be moved back with the brake on, it's just pulled to neutral with a spring. One can also add a factory holding valve to eliminate that problem. If you buy a used one, be sure all lines are included and it's the correct lineset for one's tractor. Using your PIN# and the donor PIN# will go a long way to ensure you get the correct kit.

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,604 Thanks
  • 38,986 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 06:21 AM

Welcome, I think there was something posted about this earlier. I'm not familiar with the Case, but remember reading something. Did you try a search?

Ah, help arrived while I was typing. Try the Case forum.

Edited by KennyP, September 17, 2011 - 06:24 AM.
Added Comment

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 06:46 AM

Welcome,yes that is just how they are.

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 03:47 PM

I'd have to do some research on that. never owned or been around a Case GT. I grrew up on a 310 utility w/Shuttle Shift and am fond of Case Tractors.
Though 444's been on my list. Since my whole 8.9 acres is one big hill a runaway machine would be dangerous?
I was thinking I had read that there was a valve that goes in the drive circuit that would prevent free wheeling. That some models had and others did not, but it could be added.
I was thinking the 444 was new enough it had it?

I'll try to find more info and get back.
  • bigheter said thank you