broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:31 PM

My john deere model b gas tank has about a 1/8" hole in it. It is on the top of the tank in the front. This is common on the late styled B's because it's a perfect place for mice to nest and the filthy critters urine eats the tank up. The rest of the tank isn't to bad. I'm looking for suggestions on how to repair it. Apparently there isn't anyone reproducing these tanks and I haven't been able to find a good used tank. I have heard of people soldering,brazing,welding and using JB weld type epoxy on them but I don't know which method would best suit this application. I don't have a soldering iron, only a gun but I will get one if that's what will work best. I do have a mig welder and could give that a try but the tank is really thin around the hole and I can't get anything on the other side of the hole(inside the tank). I'm concerned I'll burn a bigger hole in it. I also have oxy/acetylene torches but haven't brazed in over 20 years and even then I really didn't know what I was doing. As for epoxy, I really don't trust the stuff for the long run. I've known of people that had good results for a while but it always seems to fail in time. This tank is a real SOB to get out and I don't ever want to do it again.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion you can give me.

P.S. I tried to take pics of it but of course the battery is dead in the camera, I'll try to post some tomorrow.

#2 tractorgarden ONLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:47 PM

Broken, A good fix for them old b tanks in my opinion is to clean and JB weld it; followed by that motorcycle tank sealer. The tank sealer is not cheap, but is permanent. Shawn
  • broken2 said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 10:42 PM

I personally like soldiering a tank. If you cut a patch about 3 times the size of the hole, it makes it a lot easier to soldier. Be sure to clean and use flux. If you use a propane torch, PLEASE be sure to wash out the tank before to rid it of all gas fumes. Thats how I would fix it, and then Bondo or even fill with lead, sand and paint. You'll never see that it's been patched.
  • broken2 said thank you

#4 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 11:21 PM

The tank is surrounded by the hood on the top and sides and the bottom is covered by a heat shield. The repaired area will never be seen once it is back on the tractor so I'm not worried about appearance at all. I will paint it but only to protect it from rust.

#5 Cessna OFFLINE  

Cessna

• Member No: 6203
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 11:29 PM

The way I would fix this is with solder. Clean the tank and make sure that the rust is totally gone. Coat the steel with flux and then gently apply the heat. Add the solder after the metal is heated sufficiently. Be real careful! Make sure that there aren't any fumes in the tank or an explosion can happen!

#6 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 11:50 PM

The was we used to remove fumes from a tank where I worked was to take a hose from the exhaust pipe of a car or truck and run the exhaust fumes into the tank for approximately 20 minutes. That was for car and truck gas tanks so it will probably take a little less time on one your size. Oh, I agree, soldering is the correct way to repair your tank.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 02:35 AM

Broken, A good fix for them old b tanks in my opinion is to clean and JB weld it; followed by that motorcycle tank sealer. The tank sealer is not cheap, but is permanent. Shawn

You'd be surprised how well this works. The sealer makes a permanent liner on the inside, end of leak. JB just there to cover the hole.

#8 randmgraham OFFLINE  

randmgraham

• Member No: 6342
  • 4 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 04:44 AM

dont use jb weld it wont hold up to gas there is stuff u can get at ur local general dollar store that is for gas tanks or oil pans its called( seal all ) its gas and oil resistant i used it on my oil pan on my car and worked great and its only a cpl of bucks it is in a yellow tube

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 05:04 AM

Actually,JB Weld will last quite a long time. I had an old truck years ago ,with a pin hole in the tank.I used JB Weld on it,and I ran that truck for about five years after with no leaks.One thing I will say,is make sure the area that you are going to fix,is clean,dry,and grease and oil free when you put that on.Also,make sure it is completely cured before exposing it to gas.

#10 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 06:25 AM

I haven't used J-B weld on gas tanks, but have used PC7. I like PC7 a lot better than J-B for all around use. It's not as thin and runny, more like a putty and my experiences show to me it sticks better. J-B weld does get used in my garage when I need a thinner epoxy though.

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 07:10 PM

I soldered a gas tank this past summer and it seems to be holding . Here's the thread , Al

http://gardentractor...-tank-try-7495/

#12 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 07:34 PM

I ended up soldering it. I lightly tinned around the hole and then put a metal screw in it. Then I soldered around the screw. i think it will be a permanent fix. Thank you everyone for the info and suggestions.

#13 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 07:36 PM

Soldering is by far the best way, you can coat the entire tank if you want. A propane torch works great. I repaired many a tank this way. Especially if it can be boiled by a radiator shop. They could probably fix it in a few minutes.