• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:41 PM

Wasn't sure if it should be here or in the Sears forum, so I'll try here 1st.

The 6.5" DB Plow I got for Dads Custom 6, it's a 3 pt for Sears Suburbans. My Q is, what color should it be? It's red underneath, awful blue on top. I just can't make myself love that color. I bought a can of Ford Tractor Blue on the way home and tried it on a couple of pieces. It's way darker than the original, but lighter than "Red, White, & Blue" blue. It's not a bad color, really.

I know it's my plow, and I can paint it green with yeller polka-dots if I want... But I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on this, should I paint it Red (like the Custom), or the original "My baby ate blue chalk, and this is what came out" blue, or should I just paint it with what will make me happiest?

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:53 PM

Heres what I would do, for what it's worth. If you are going to use it then paint it whatever colour makes you happy. If it's for show only then original colours.

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:58 PM

if you are going with original colors banner red is very close to the original DB red, the :puke2: blue is not one of my favorets,

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:59 PM

:ditto:to what JDBrien said,

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:11 PM

I use Massey Ferguson red on DB parts and pieces, and not only does it look good on the tractors/implements, but it it means that plow will fit a Massey too! lol

#6 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:27 PM

I use Massey Ferguson red on DB parts and pieces, and not only does it look good on the tractors/implements, but it it means that plow will fit a Massey too! lol

And have more power,last longer right Buzz!:wave:

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:28 PM

you cheater !!LOL

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,451 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:31 PM

i use Case IH red for my red parts, harbor blue for the older blue ones. I havent really found a good blue for the Seaton blue on the newer stuff. What kind of tag is on the plow? the older ones will say David Bradley on them, the newer ones say Sears/Simpson. Your tag should read something like 917.25xxx, to be right with the custom tractors. If its a 917.606xxx tag the attachment was built for the older DB tractors. An older tag is ussally green lettered and the newer ones are black and silver. If this plow was for yor custom orginally it could have been painted white, The later model stuf was either black or white. Its interesting that theres red under blue as red was never a color for any suburban. Customs are just that custom, i dont beleive they were called suburbans.

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 09:49 PM

It's going to do a little of both, show & play.

When I said Sears Suburban, I should have specified like the 725. David Bradley built machines. I think they had both colors, if the Google images are any indication.

#10 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 10:27 PM

well, that blue is what they call electric blue. I believe its the same blue used on the early DB suburbans like the 65s and such. They where also used on the wheels of the 59 DBs.
  • MH81 said thank you

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 04:35 AM

Heres what I would do, for what it's worth. If you are going to use it then paint it whatever colour makes you happy. If it's for show only then original colours.

That is good advice.

#12 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,451 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 02:02 PM

well, that blue is what they call electric blue. I believe its the same blue used on the early DB suburbans like the 65s and such. They where also used on the wheels of the 59 DBs.

Electric Blue and Nugget gold are the colors for the orginal DB tractors, until 1962 when the colors changed to Seaton Blue and artic white. You could still get attachments in Electric Blue after 62' , but never got a Seaton Blue one before 62'. I dont know exactly when the white ones showed up, but im thinking it was after 1965. I do have an adjustable foot plow that was orginally painted gray. The thinking on the gray color is, if one got a replacement part from Sears, it usally came in gray. We see this alot on the walk-behind tractors with reverse and speed changer parts. I have a set of rims and weights that make up the dual kit and these rims are gray, and the weight is a pale red, almost like a primer color.
  • MH81 said thank you