wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 05:56 PM

This week they were replacing the sidewalks in my small town and stopped in the middle of our front yard because that was all the funds they were allowed use for the project lol. Obviously it was stupid in the first place to replace the sidewalks, as no one uses them anyway but that's another story. In order to rip up the old sidewalks they brought in a track hoe. The contractor hired was a group that Dad had worked with before on other projects and that track hoe gave Dad an idea. About a decade ago he brought home 60 foot of culvert, a freebee at the time, with intentions of installing it between the culvert under the state road and the culvert across our somewhat curved around driveway. The distance was just under 60 foot and Dad had to leave a gap between the culverts already there, and the one being added due to the runoff design of the land. Unfortunately due to the treeline next to the ditch prohibited access of any equipment we had access to, therefore a hand digging of the filled in ditch meant the job was avoided, until the track hoe was in our front yard. So earlier today the track hoe operator dug out the ditchline and we dropped in 50 feet of culvert (so we have 1o foot left for somewhere). Then the backfill began and that is when we found that there was enough dirt to cover the culvert (still short dirt but that is ok for now) which we had not anticipated earlier. So this was a sidejob well done and long overdue, but we made some land in the process. So the saying that land can't be made is inaccurate, because we found the way to do it, culverts!! LOL. Anyway, I forgot pics so just imagine a pipe in the ground, very interesting huh? haha

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:28 PM

Casey, glad that worked in your favor. Track hoes are a blast to run.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 09:06 PM

Always good to check something off the list, especially when it's way down and it gets done easier than anticipated.

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 09:20 PM

Good to get something done.But without pics i will never know what a pipe in the ground looks like :bigrofl:

Edited by bhts, September 15, 2011 - 09:34 PM.

#5 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 09:29 PM

Good to get somthing done.But without pics i will never know what a pipe in the ground looks like :bigrofl:

I am glad to hear that something good came of the sidewalk project. But you know the rules. :smile1::wewantpics:

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 09:34 PM

Could get a pic of the pipe in the ground, but what crazy wants to look at that, there isn't anything cool about it, just mud and a pipe!! :bigrofl:

#7 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 09:44 PM

You would be surprised at how little it takes to keep us old retired folks amused.

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 09:54 PM

George, I will take a picture in the daylight tomorrow just for you, because that comment made me laugh lol.

#9 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 05:03 AM

Posted Image
  • MH81 said thank you