• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hiker OFFLINE  

Hiker

• Member No: 132
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 24, 2010 - 06:06 PM

I have looked and looked and do not find a drain plug or filter on the Bolens H16,Tecumseh OHV unit. I'm referring to the Transmission. I would like to change the fluid Type "F" recommended and the filter. Did these come equipped with a filter? Is it possible that I have to open an oil supply line to drain the trans? Will appreciate any insight on this.
Thanks Jim

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 24, 2010 - 06:36 PM

I have looked and looked and do not find a drain plug or filter on the Bolens H16,Tecumseh OHV unit. I'm referring to the Transmission. I would like to change the fluid Type "F" recommended and the filter. Did these come equipped with a filter? Is it possible that I have to open an oil supply line to drain the trans? Will appreciate any insight on this.
Thanks Jim

The filter for the transmission is or should be at the rear of the tractor up under the seat and rear fender.I have an H16 and that's where it is on mine.

Edited by mjodrey, April 24, 2010 - 06:43 PM.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 24, 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hiker, I moved your thread to the Bolens section so it might get more views from knowledgeable Bolens guys.

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted April 24, 2010 - 08:22 PM

Thanks Jim

To change the ATF on a Eaton 10 you have to pull the pump off as I know of. The trany part of the rear takes gear lube there should be a drain plug under the trany and a fill plug on the back to put the gear lube in.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 25, 2010 - 08:08 PM

First I have to say I've never been around any Bolens, but I downloaded the parts manual for the HT18 and it appears to have a Sundstrand hydro. Does your hydro pump look square & blocky, or is it rounded with radial finning? Radial finning is Eaton, square/blocky/no fins is a Sundstrand. I have a feeling your hydro draws & stores oil from the differential. If I had a pic of your unit, then I could say for sure. If it's a Sundstrand, then it definitely shares fluid with the differential. Many Eatons do also, but I've seen smaller Eaton's that were self-contained. If from an Eaton there is a line going to the differential, then it too shares the diff fluid.
I had hoped a Bolens guy came to answer, but I wanted to help.

#6 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted April 25, 2010 - 09:23 PM

First I have to say I've never been around any Bolens, but I downloaded the parts manual for the HT18 and it appears to have a Sundstrand hydro. Does your hydro pump look square & blocky, or is it rounded with radial finning? Radial finning is Eaton, square/blocky/no fins is a Sundstrand. I have a feeling your hydro draws & stores oil from the differential. If I had a pic of your unit, then I could say for sure. If it's a Sundstrand, then it definitely shares fluid with the differential. Many Eatons do also, but I've seen smaller Eaton's that were self-contained. If from an Eaton there is a line going to the differential, then it too shares the diff fluid.
I had hoped a Bolens guy came to answer, but I wanted to help.

A tube frame hydro like a H16 only came with a Eaton 10.

The eaton 10 takes two fluids gear lube/oil for the trany part and ATF type F for the pump.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 25, 2010 - 09:45 PM

A tube frame hydro like a H16 only came with a Eaton 10.

The eaton 10 takes two fluids gear lube/oil for the trany part and ATF type F for the pump.

Then it will require removing the pump to change out the hydro fluid...correct wilberj? I know the Eaton 10 on a small Wheel Horse I used to have, had no drain.

#8 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted April 25, 2010 - 10:13 PM

Then it will require removing the pump to change out the hydro fluid...correct wilberj? I know the Eaton 10 on a small Wheel Horse I used to have, had no drain.

I would say yes you would have to.