skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 04:46 AM

Kenny, you should be using flux core gasless wire when welding outdoors. As the breezes can and will blow away your shielding gas. And its way cheaper too, argon, or steel mix (argon/co2 25%AR 75% co2) is getting expensive !
A little tip for flux core welding, is always try to weld vertical with it, great penetration and the flux stays out of your way. I do a lot of welding and personally, I like stick welding the best, unless its a production app. Then nothing beats a steel pump.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#122 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 06:29 AM

I hear you, Keith. Wish I had a 220 outlet set up in the building, I'd be using the stick. That is if I remember how to weld with with one. Been a few years since I used it. The outlet is on the list to install, just haven't bought one.

P.S. When I got the bottle the other day, they were out of the small tanks, so gave me the next size up for the small price. Thought that was mighty nice of them. Only $20.

Edited by KennyP, October 12, 2011 - 07:22 AM.

#123 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 08:50 AM

Another thing I didn't mention. I am only tack welding everything together for now just in case something needs a tweak. Much easier to fix a 'booboo' that way. Maybe I'll have the stick welder up by the time I'm at a point to weld something solid. Trying to remember which rod I was using for mild steel. Can someone give me some hints, been a few years!

#124 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 09:04 AM

Kenny
AC stick would be 6011 if dirty or rusty and 6013 for clean steel.
  • KennyP said thank you

#125 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 10:14 AM

It looks good Kenny. Keep the pictures coming.

#126 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 05:32 PM

Well I got a bit more accomplished today. Had a small challenge with the axle stubs. The pipe is a bit bigger than the 3/4" stubs. So I drilled two holes into one side and one centered on the opposite side. Tack welded a 1/4" nut to the single hole and inserted the stub. Put a bolt into the nut to force the stub up tight and welded through the two holes. Cut the nut off, cut an angled slot into the pipe and bent it tight, then welded that.
Image006.jpg
I added a piece of old round stock to the bottom to help keep it straight. I put the bearings back in the wheels I plan to use and stuck them on.
Image009.jpg
The preacher showed up and we got the marriage complete. Now to add the sub bracing for all this.
More tomorrow!

Attached Thumbnails

• Image002.jpg
  • Image005.jpg
  • Image004.jpg
  • Image008.jpg

#127 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 12, 2011 - 06:54 PM

not to steal the thread, but another good idea for a dump trailer is if you have rear hydros, use a piston and run lines.

#128 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 04:05 AM

not to steal the thread, but another good idea for a dump trailer is if you have rear hydros, use a piston and run lines.

This would work with the Ford, but my two other tractors are gear drive, so the winch is the best option to make it usable with all tractors. Thanks.

#129 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 13, 2011 - 04:30 PM

yeah im talking in general for people have rear hydros or can even run an extra pump it would be a neat idea, i think sometime either this winter or spring im going to try something in that nature.

#130 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 05:57 PM

Got a little done today. Moved the project under the new roof. Lot easier to work on there and less windy for the tack welds. I'm glad that is all I welded, found a booboo. Had to take the axle back off, but it's back on now and aligned to the front better. The pipe on top is the mast, I need to cut to length. Found the name of a place to get metal from, will check that out tomorrow morning. I need more bracing from the tongue up to the platform. Got the opening for the lift to work in set up. Got some 3/4" washers for the wheels and have them cotter pinned. Need a couple valve stems for them so I can put the tires back on. Mostly a head scratching day, figuring out the booboo and how best to straighten it out. Here's a few pics:
Image003.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Image001.jpg
  • Image002.jpg

#131 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 06:14 PM

yeah im talking in general for people have rear hydros or can even run an extra pump it would be a neat idea, i think sometime either this winter or spring im going to try something in that nature.

Sounds cool. The hydraulic idea would be real good if you dedicated the trailer to that tractor. I never know which one will pull the trailer.:rofl2:

#132 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 06:18 PM

Sounds cool. The hydraulic idea would be real good if you dedicated the trailer to that tractor. I never know which one will pull the trailer.:rofl2:

Yeah, I don't think "Lil Johnny" has hydraulics... Yet.

#133 JDBrian ONLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 13, 2011 - 06:43 PM

It's looking good Kenny. The pictures really make it clear what you are doing.

#134 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 04:57 PM

Got a bit more put together today. Went this morning and got some steel. Details on that can be found here:http://gardentractor...ng-8138/page12/
Added some under bracing and stood the front mast. This took a bit of time, getting things trued up. Anyway here's a few more pics for your viewing pleasure.
Image004.jpg

Tomorrow, the mast will be braced to the front which will also serve as the winch mount. Then it will be time to start the lift assembly and get the bed framework put together. It's coming together, slowly. Just remember folks, I'm not as proficient as Ray! He's my idol on doing this kind of stuff.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image002.jpg
  • Image003.jpg

#135 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 14, 2011 - 05:01 PM

That's looking darn good Kenny.