• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 11:23 PM

Thanks, Greg. That explains a lot. Really simple in design.

#107 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 09:46 AM

I have that same exact cart, like how easy it dumps, HATE the poor weight distribution it puts on the tractor....NONE! Fill it full of wood or loam and you need heavy tractor to move it, my diesel does fine but the tractor with out all the weights struggles.

#108 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 10:48 AM

I like it

#109 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 02:40 PM

You can see where they have strengthened the back of the floor/side with heavier steel to prevent it from bending when it is dumped. Thats a simple and effective design.

#110 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 06:17 PM

For it's intended purpose, it looks to be great. I use things outside of their 'intended' purpose.

#111 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 06:39 PM

Thank you for the pics, that really cleared it up. Neat design.

#112 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 06:08 AM

I've been studying pulleys for the mast and see that most all cable pulleys have very short sides. This would make it hard to keep the cable in the pulley unless it had tension on it all the time. My winch has the remote control and runs for a couple inches after you hit the stop button, creating slack in the cable and allowing it to 'jump' off the pulley. The only way to use one of these, which I have one, would be to cut a slot into the mast for the cable to run through and hang the pulley off a rod through the sides of the mast. Not sure if the rod would take the force without bending.
This leads me back to using a v-belt pulley on a 3/4" or larger shaft and make a cover to keep the cable in the pulley. This mount will see a lot of force on it lifting a trailer full of dirt/gravel. Am I thinking correct here?

Edited by KennyP, October 03, 2011 - 06:31 AM.

#113 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 03, 2011 - 11:16 AM

I've been studying pulleys for the mast and see that most all cable pulleys have very short sides. This would make it hard to keep the cable in the pulley unless it had tension on it all the time. My winch has the remote control and runs for a couple inches after you hit the stop button, creating slack in the cable and allowing it to 'jump' off the pulley. The only way to use one of these, which I have one, would be to cut a slot into the mast for the cable to run through and hang the pulley off a rod through the sides of the mast. Not sure if the rod would take the force without bending.
This leads me back to using a v-belt pulley on a 3/4" or larger shaft and make a cover to keep the cable in the pulley. This mount will see a lot of force on it lifting a trailer full of dirt/gravel. Am I thinking correct here?

KennyP, bend a piece of light steel in a horseshoe shape from side to side of the pulley. Kind of like they do to keep the cable falling off of a garage door tensioner pulley -picture attached.
heavyDutyPulley.jpg
Posted Image

#114 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 04:28 AM

Dean, I think my biggest challenge is figuring out how to 'hang' a pulley with nothing above to hook to. Maybe that's where I'm going in the wrong direction with the mast. Maybe I need to look at my pulley and see how I could fab something on top of the mast to hang it from.
Thanks everyone for their feedback. Once I get something going with this, I should be able to get more of the drawing done. Not sure if I will get it built soon. The 'tractor port' has to be 'operational' first.

#115 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 06:21 PM

Today is the start of the dump trailer build. Not sure how long this will take, definitely longer than any of Ray's builds and not nearly as good looking. But I hope for function. Time will tell.
I started by welding some lengths of 1" X 1" tubing together. They were 36" long and I needed 42". I had a nice piece of 3" X 4" angle iron that I though would help hold the pieces together for welding. Cut a small slot into it so I could do 3 sides before unclamping.
Image011.jpg

Cut 45 degree angles on the ends, set it up square on my handy work table and proceeded to tack it all together.
Image012.jpg

Next I got the tongue started. I bored a hole thru one end with my trusty hole saw and inserted a section of 3/4" ID pipe thru.
Image013.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll weld this in place and add axle stubs. Then it's getting the preacher over so I can marry these two together.
Hopefully more updates tomorrow.Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• Image010.jpg

#116 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Cool, now for the fun stuff :bounce:

#117 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 06:38 PM

My projects take a lot longer then I think they should and always think they could have been better too. Oh well we try . How is the welding going with the new lens ? Al

#118 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 06:50 PM

How is the welding going with the new lens ? Al

Very noticeable improvement. I could see the parts I was welding together.:bigrofl:

#119 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 06:53 PM

Very noticeable improvement. I could see the parts I was welding together.:bigrofl:

:bigrofl:Is that what's supposed to happen,actually see what you're doing?:bigrofl::bigrofl:

#120 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 06:59 PM

I guess so , Maynard. But I've been doing pretty good the other way. Just some errant welds every now and then.