314 replies to this topic

#46 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 10:20 PM

John, I'm think the mast would have to be quite tall to get a 50-55 degree angle on the bed. As it is going up, the lift point of the bed is also going back farther.

True. Well on the flipside, you could weld a short peice of steel on the underside of the box at the very back and route your winch cable underneath to dump it. It should be a clean and simple install I would think, and you could dump it up to a 90* angle if you wanted......

#47 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 05:36 AM

Kenny, what's the budget on this project?
I recall, that you got the trailer at the dump?
So I'm guessing the budget is 0 or less?

As cheaply as possible! I have the winch & some bed frame rails, a little 3/4" round & 3/4" ID tube. I also have some 1X1 square tube and about 10' of 1" black pipe. I will use as much of this as I can.

#48 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 05:46 AM

John, I'm trying to get a pic of that in my mind. Sounds feasible, making it work could be a challenge. Rather simple sounding. Hmmm?

#49 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 07:06 AM

I bet thisll help

Posted Image

#50 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 07:21 AM

I bet thisll help

Posted Image

Hmmm... The problem with that design is that the pieces in the back will hit the ground before the bed gets lifted very far.

#51 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 08:48 AM

Okay, John. I think Brian has a good point, plus you would be putting a lot of stress on the pivot.
I have been playing on Sketchup for several hours and thought I would show what I have so far.

DumpTrailer3.jpg

Everything isn't shown yet, but I thought this may help you all get the idea of the original concept. Of course, bracing will be added as needed. Takes some time, doing all the angles. Still lots to be drawn in. Hope this helps.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#52 randmgraham OFFLINE  

randmgraham

• Member No: 6342
  • 4 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 11:30 AM

hey kenny they make a 12volt scissor jack that u can hook up to a cig lighter plug in my brother got one at walmart or harbor freight it has plenty of lifting power

#53 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 04:35 PM

hey kenny they make a 12volt scissor jack that u can hook up to a cig lighter plug in my brother got one at walmart or harbor freight it has plenty of lifting power

Welcome! Might be worth looking into. I have gone so far with this, I think I'm going to go ahead with my plan. I will make it work.

#54 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 04:44 PM

Last evening, I promised pics of the old trailer. I have them ready for your viewing pleasure, so here goes.

Image007.jpg

The tag is unreadable. It is only formed from about 1/16" thick material. The rear is bent up in the middle from trying to dump with it dragging on the ground. And you can see it doesn't have much angle to dump. 2/3 of the material stays in it until you move forward. I will make it better.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image006.jpg
  • Image003.jpg
  • Image004.jpg
  • Image002.jpg
  • Image005.jpg

• trowel and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#55 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 05:06 PM

I have been staying away but now I have an idea. Seeing the trailer and it's angles I know what you should do to fix it. Move the axle back 6-8 inches and then extend the tongue. That will allow it to dump at a much steeper angle. Then the resolution of the added weight is to then mount your hinged thing between the tongue and the box and bolt the winch to on the tounge outside of the box footprint. Then your hinge thing will NEVER close flat, therefore it will ALWAYS open easily and shove up the box. It is no more complicated than your original plan, the box doesn't raise up high so less risk of tipping over sideways during dumping.

#56 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 05:34 PM

Casey, good points. Making the lower lift piece mount to the tongue makes a lot of sense. I will have to line the outside of the box with angle iron to keep it from folding in on itself. I had thought having the bed set on a platform while loading/traveling would keep flex down.
Thanks for all the input, everyone. Many good point/ideas have surfaced here. Some may be much simpler than what I plan.

#57 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 08:06 PM

I too am thinking about a better dump type trailer. Lot's of great input here. As I was out mowing today a lot thoughts were running through my mind. I like the scissor lift idea. Now for the twist. Where I work we scrap over 1000 different trucks each year. Some, ok many have the electric/hydraulic lift gates on the back. I might try to incorporate this setup to operate the scissor action. Any thoughts? Has any done this before? Hey free parts and a little welding, it just might work.

#58 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 08:18 PM

pharmer, that would be good. You may have to watch amp draw when using it. Not sure how much these use, but most leave the truck running while using the lift-gate. I wouldn't mind having one of those powerpacks my self.

#59 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 09:50 PM

I've been checking the local wrecking yard now and then for one of those electric hydraulic pumps. No luck yet but I'm not going to give up.

#60 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 05:17 AM

Hey pharmer, check into shipping costs for one of those to Tulsa. Might check Texas, also.