• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 04:35 PM

If you look at Kenny's drawing, the cable will be against the front of the bed. By being against it, it will be lift the bed and opening the scissor lift at the same time, IMHO.

It probably would, but as things wear, the pull on it will be straight-line with the upper arm, then possibly over center as it gets older. By dropping the roller on the front, it alleviates that extra strain and makes the future assumed wear a non issue as far as pull is concerned.

I don't want to sound as if Im poking holes, I think it's a great design and will do one heck of a good job. Just trying to prevent a problem in it's later years.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#32 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 04:48 PM

Brian, I went out and got a scissor jack. It has 15" of lift, But takes many revolutions to get there. Didn't count.

Kenny, what gave me the idea for this was that I used to use the scissor jack that came with my civic to do tire rotations. This was before I had a floor jack. To make it easier I used a drill to turn the screw. You would need to hold the drill somehow to keep it from rotating and couple it to the threaded rod in the jack.

Edited by JDBrian, September 15, 2011 - 04:55 PM.

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 06:47 PM

Brian, I have used these before with my 1/2" impact turning the screw. It all just slipped somewhere into an abyss until you brought it up. LOL
It's hard to see in the pic, but there is a small roller at the front of the bed for the cable to work against. What I had thought to use was the shaft out of a cartridge type strut. These are very hard and about .900" dia. I have two pieces of this stuff about 16" long. I've been trying to draw up something on Sketchup. It doesn't seem to want to cooperate this afternoon for some reason.

#34 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:54 PM

Why not make your mast taller and just have the winch hook to a loop of steel at the front of the bed?

#35 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 05:10 AM

John, I'm think the mast would have to be quite tall to get a 50-55 degree angle on the bed. As it is going up, the lift point of the bed is also going back farther.

#36 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 06:22 AM

I spent most of this morning reading all the posts on this thread and a great thread this is, eveyone's giving great idears,
my little brain is reving up with idears now, now if you don't mind i would like to insert one,
use gravity to dump the load for you, then use gravity or a cable/rope to lower the dump bed, the dump bad can be made in such a manner to aid in it's dumping, think in terms of a wheel borrow body and carfull location of the hingh point, tonight i will post pic.s of mines, it no longer dumps from many years of abuse and was welded solid to the frame now but was efective at the time, and yes, it dumped the load, not spread it out,
now i have to go make some money, lator,

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 05:42 PM

Trowel, That is what this started life as, a gravity dump. But it doesn't tilt far enough to dump before the back end hits the ground. Maybe if I put some 26X12's on it, that might help. LOL

#38 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 06:16 PM

oh, right, never mind the pic.s, yeh 2 x 4 might work or taller wheels, i'll think on it for a bit to help you guys out,

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 06:48 PM

Trowel, post your idea. It may be a whole lot better solution than what I am trying to. That is what this thread is trying to do, get ideas on a dump trailer.

#40 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 06:56 PM

ok, hold please, (sound of music plays in background much like on a phone)

#41 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:20 PM

If I can tomorrow, I'll get a couple pics of the trailer as/is posted. I sorry if I sounded so negative before.
  • trowel said thank you

#42 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:26 PM

ok, here's my idear, when i said much like a wheelborro, i ment a wheelborrow body, a wheelborrow is made to hold the load over the wheel and is high enough to dump the load and at the same time becouse the load is partly over the wheel it aids in dumping, i intergraded that into my cart but after many years of abuse the hinges broke and i cut them and the latch off and welded the body to the frame, the borrow body was mounted at the balance point so when loaded it would dump when loaded, it was held down by a trip latch, after pulling away from the load because there is no weight over the hinge point it would close/lower on it own and latch itself while i drove off, i got this idear from watching drag line cranes empty it drag bucket and from cranes using cement dump buckets.
in case you wondering, that's a briggs 19D on a Simplicity model W frame and gearbox, thanks for looking, i hope this helps and gives some more idears for you and everyone to work with,

Attached Thumbnails

• P9160004.jpg
  • P9160002.jpg
  • P9160005.jpg
  • P9160006.jpg

#43 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:32 PM

Kenny, what's the budget on this project?
I recall, that you got the trailer at the dump?
So I'm guessing the budget is 0 or less?

#44 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:36 PM

no, no, no, i knew what you ment, that's why i put you on hold instead of hanging up on you:D

#45 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:40 PM

don't mind me im going to the hatfield tractor show tommorow so im REALY looking forwards to the weekand and:wewantpics:will be provided,
as soon as i get back i will look at your trailer to see what your working with,