• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:33 AM

I guess I spent too much time in thought. I have a small dump trailer that doesn't dump very well. In fact I picked it up at the local dump. Anyway, every time I have used it, I have cussed the fact that it spreads the load instead of leaving in a pile. The rear is on the ground when dumping, so the load stays half or more in the trailer until I move forward. I want it to dump the load, so I have been mulling over different ways to get this done. Here's a pic of it behind the Cub:
Image006.jpg
It has 16 X 8 wheels on it. My first thought is to make a platform for the box to set on with a hinge at the rear. That puts the rear about 18" off the ground so things stay in a pile. Then came numerous attempts to make a dump mechanism so I don't have to physically lift it.
My latest idea is to use my 3000 lb. HF winch for lifting it. I have spent some time in my DeltaCad program drawing out various ideas and have come up with something. I would like some help from you folks to see if this would work. I don't have all of it drawn out, just the basic lift mechanism. Pro or con, will the winch dump this thing?
Dump Trailer.jpg

The heavy red line is the cable. The dotted part of it is showing how it would be when the bed is down. This is still a design idea, so things can change. Give your opinion/ ideas for this.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:44 AM

Looks like a nice idea Kenny , I'll be keeping an eye on your project , I have a homemade dump trailer that is very hard to dump when full of dirt and your idea might be just what I need , Al

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:49 AM

What I am trying to do is make a hydraulic scissor lift with out the hydraulics. This looks simple, just don't know how well it would work.

#4 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:50 AM

what is the length of the bed? I have a idea I will draw up for you.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:59 AM

Chuck, it is 42". That will be helpful.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 08:03 AM

Kenny. You say a scissor lift. What about using an automotive scissor jack and a 12v electric drill to turn the screw?

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 08:35 AM

Brian, that's worth looking into. I have two of those laying about. Need to run one out to see how high it goes. I just bought a new Hitachi 18 volt that has 460 in lbs of torque.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 08:47 AM

Kenny. You say a scissor lift. What about using an automotive scissor jack and a 12v electric drill to turn the screw?

I may be missing something here? Though I like the idea. With the drill you would have to get off the tractor to dump?
I'm lazy, how about a salvaged auto starter(with the right gearing a heater blower motor might do it?) with a sprocket and weld a sprocket and fit a chain on the scissor jack, then you could run a cable to the fender
of your tractor to a switch box and run it off the tractor battery?

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 09:19 AM

JD, will either of these be reversable?

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 09:45 AM

Kenny, the lift drawing you show looks good, but one small adjustment. when the unit is collapsed, the winch is at it's worst mechanical advantage. The "scissors" are going to straight line and it may not open. Wouldn't it be easier to put a small tower on the tongue and have it lift straight up? Or have the cable go up & over a pulley? If the winch doesn't have the "umph", you could double the cable runs, it'll move half as fast, but be twice as strong.

#11 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 10:14 AM

That looks like a great design there Kenny. The way you have the cable routed when the box is down should lift the box far enough to get the scissors to do the rest of the lifting. My have to play with the height of the leg to get it right.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 10:38 AM

I may be missing something here? Though I like the idea. With the drill you would have to get off the tractor to dump?
I'm lazy, how about a salvaged auto starter(with the right gearing a heater blower motor might do it?) with a sprocket and weld a sprocket and fit a chain on the scissor jack, then you could run a cable to the fender
of your tractor to a switch box and run it off the tractor battery?

Most 12volt drills are reversable. I have a couple of 12v ones with dead batteries. My idea, which I have never acted on by the way, was to run wiring from the battery terminals inside the drill to a DPDT centre off switch to give you UP,Off,Down on 1 switch . Power would come from the tractor battery. The drill could be attached by it's chuck to a properly sized rod or the actual screw of the scissor jack. I want to try this as I need a cart and was planning to build one this summer, but I never got it done. I will watch this thread to see what Kenny comes up with. A starter motor and chains etc. would be overkill.

#13 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• Member No: 1195
  • 4 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 11:13 AM

Kenny, the lift drawing you show looks good, but one small adjustment. when the unit is collapsed, the winch is at it's worst mechanical advantage. The "scissors" are going to straight line and it may not open. Wouldn't it be easier to put a small tower on the tongue and have it lift straight up? Or have the cable go up & over a pulley? If the winch doesn't have the "umph", you could double the cable runs, it'll move half as fast, but be twice as strong.

If I understand it's design, when the box will be down the scissors will be straight BUT the cable will make a 90 degree angle at the front of the box. When the winch will be activated, the cable itself will have to pull the box up before the scissors gets pulled. At the same time the scissors will open a bit, probably enough for the cable to be able of opening them as soon as the box is not "on" the cable at the front.

The design has to be implemented correctly for this idea to work!

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 11:48 AM

Lots of good comments going on here. I'll start where I last commented.
Alan, good point on the scissors being flat. That can be 'fixed' by having the pin at the trailer frame dropped lower, thus opening the lift. Trying to go straight up would not get as high, I have 55 degrees where it is now. And the cable is going over a pulley. The winch is 3000 lbs., so I think it is strong enough.
ducky, I may make the leg taller, it is 24" right now.
Brian, I just threw out two old 12 volt Makitas. Batteries wouldn't hold a charge and the triggers quit functioning. Ducky sharn!
MacWorld, that is what I was hoping to accomplish. Use the cable(on a roller) at the front to start the lift.
I now have enough to do a revised drawing with a few different changes. May take a bit, stay tuned.

#15 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• Member No: 1195
  • 4 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 12:14 PM

I may add that a good motor if you want to go electric would be a wiper motor. Those things are really powerful; in some case of gripping wiper pivots, the motor is able to do it's job but with good pliers you wouldn't be able to rotate the shafts yourself!

To my knowledge window motors are less powerful in most cases.