11 replies to this topic

#1 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• Member No: 5225
  • 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hi All,
This is a great site that is awesome for info! For the most part I am in the Ford/Jacobsen area as I picked up an 80 Jackobsen 1450 this past mid summer. Love it and kinda hooked on the older tractors.
Anyway, I have a chance to pick up a 84 Power King with loader. I do not know at this time what model it is but looks to be good size. It comes with loader, v-plow, and a belly mower that looks brand new as it has not had much use. Tires look good with pretty good size and tall ag tires in rear. Paint is ok, could use some or run as is. The flaws that I know of are front tire he said is wobbly. Im thinking wheel bearing or something. He said it will run for 10 mins. and shut off. And he has to start with screwdriver on soleniod. Thats about it.
So my questions are since I know nothing about Power King Tractors are these;
1 If I give him an offer of $1800 to $2000 is this worth it? I have know Idea what it is worth!
2 Shutting of in 10 mins. Could be a coil? My experience level is ok but like to think I am a backyard know enough to keep it running or ask for help. Just trying to be honest here as I don't want to buy this thing and spend the next two weeks chasing a problem that I know nothing about.
3 Will this loader go high enough to load a 4x4 1-ton dump? I am a masonry contractor and really do not plan on using it for jobs but it would be handy to load my mortar sand. Its primary job would be around the house stuff, firewood, and loading sand.
I would most likely put the plow and mower in the shop or sell them because I have the Jacobsen for that.
Thanks for your help.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:38 PM

Wish I could help Buck, I do know loaders add $ to the unit. As for specific pricing and capabilities, the guys who know will probably need a model number or two.
  • Buck said thank you

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:49 PM

I don't think the engine shutting down is a major problem. Could be a coil, or fuel restriction going to the carburetor--sometimes the brass screen in a settling bulb will get almost clogged... a little fuel gets through, so it starts and runs, but the fuel supply doesn't quite keep up so it eventually stops.

I have 2414 Power King, which is what your's sounds like. The first two digits are the rear wheel size, the next two are the engine horsepower. Some of these had dual transmissions which give you a very low "creeper" gear. You can tell by the two gear shift levers in line front to rear. The front one sticks almost straight up, and the rear one is bent over almost parallel with the ground.

One weak area on these are the trannies--they work fine, but they don't seal well at the top and are often rusty inside. The trannies come out of a 30's vintage car, and, though they're available, the gear sets, etc. are getting scarce. You can find the trannies at times on eBay in the $250-$300 range.

All that being said, it's still a great little tractor. Front end loaders themselves typically start at about $1200-$1500 and go up from there. With the other accessories, you'd have a great setup. Offer him the $1,800 and see what he says...

Utah Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, September 14, 2011 - 07:56 PM.

• Buck said thank you

#4 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:57 PM

3nc3k13o05T25R65S4b8vf54d296cbaa81ee3.jpg It seems the tractor has a 18hp and like I said it is an 1984.
Posted Image

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 08:34 PM

It appears that your loader is the same as mine but with a bigger bucket.DSC07231.jpg there's a loader manual on the site to down if you want some info and spec's on it
http://gardentractor...fel-manual-459/

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 09:06 PM

Your machine is newer--mine's an early 70's. And, some of the newer PKs had 4 speed transmissions. I've heard they could be a little problematic... Drive the thing and test it in all gears, etc. PKs came with engines from 12 to 18 hp. Rear tires appear to be very good--that's good 'cause they're about $400 for 2 of them. The 18 hp should give you plenty of power... you might want to look into power steering--there should be a pump right in front of the dash board--with a priority valve, it should should work.

U S

#7 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 05:48 AM

Those are good rugged tractors, the wobbly front wheel will be bearings, loose at best, bad bearings and a spindle needing replacement at worst. From your pic. that unit has the 2 trans set up, good, and rear wheel weights, good again. Another area to check is the steering tube, there is no support for the steering shaft beyound the box and folks use the steering wheel to help pull themselves up and on, some have MAJOR play and ruined seal which can spell trouble, a good steering box is getting harder [read $$$] to find. With the loader, running and moving in all the gears, and the deck and plow if you can get it for $1800.00 or so you did well. Goood luck, hope you can bring it home.
Peter

#8 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:43 AM

Hey I see that on the NH Craigs list, you are right the deck looks virtually new!! Not sure why the run 10 min and shut down has anything to do with the storm but..... Still a good looking tractor.
Seems I remember that having been posted before, you may get him when he is REALLY ready to have it gone, let us know.
P.

#9 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 10:16 AM

I have seen those decks look new on the outside but are actually just about rusted through so check it out to be sure.That deck is set up for the parallel hitch so be sure it comes with the tractor.The king pins on the 24" models are longer than the 16" and are prone to bending,especially with a loader.Check the engine for oil leaks as they are prone to leaking and that engine is prone to a loose exhaust valve if it has ever been overheated and that is a costly fix.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaaa 011.jpg
  • aaaa 010.jpg

• Buck and Merle013 have said thanks

#10 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 06:25 PM

Power king 56, You are right, it is on nh craigslist. He wants 2800 but I am going to offer him 1800 cash. It started out 3800, a little pricey I thought. I know nothing about these tractors but I am looking for a little loader to load my 1 ton and do stuff around the house. Can't really afford a good size John Deere or Kabota right now and thought this might work for me.
What part of NH are you in? Seacoast area here.

#11 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 06:59 PM

Buck,
Hope the deal works out for you. If you are not looking to earn a living with it but to do chores and load sand, I think it will do just fine for you.
We live in Keene, but most weekends find us in Lisbon, NH working at our other "project" the in-laws place. Let us know how things play out.
Peter

#12 fireman OFFLINE  

fireman

• Member No: 1275
  • 12 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 03:21 PM

Man I wish I could find a loader for my 1614!