5 replies to this topic

#1 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4710
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 06:24 PM

Has anyone ran propane on thier tractors? Growing up we had some diesel tractors and everything else on the place ran propane. Some of the old Farmall's, H's and M's wouldn't be started for a couple of yrs and they'd crank right up with a boost. I know you lose a little power 6 to 7%.

But you don't get carbon build up, carb gunk build up, fuel doesn't go bad, runs a little cooler and oil doesn't get as dirty. I'd think these would all be the same on small engines.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:14 PM

I haven't seen or owned a GT on Propane, But have ran a ride-on floor sweeper with a Kohler 14hp, K-321. It always started and ran well, so if you could come up with the right parts, I see no problem doing it.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:31 PM

I've been wanting to do this as well. There are lots of kits out there, but the ones that have all the stuff and the correct style regulation are a little out of range so far.

I think that the upsides would even out the slight loss of power. I was planning on running on Coleman tanks or something like that because a grill tank would be hard to shoehorn under the hood.

#4 coop ONLINE  

coop

• Member No: 669
  • 24 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:49 PM

You have to have a special tank to run propane. I believe it runs to th bottom of the tank.

#5 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4710
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 08:25 PM

I've been wanting to do this as well. There are lots of kits out there, but the ones that have all the stuff and the correct style regulation are a little out of range so far.

I think that the upsides would even out the slight loss of power. I was planning on running on Coleman tanks or something like that because a grill tank would be hard to shoehorn under the hood.

They are a little high that's why I was wondering if anyone else had done it, The concept seems sound I just want get a kit someone has used or had experience with. I'd use coleman tanks until I proved it worked sufficiently, then i'd look at something like this Manchester Tank One-Pound Refillable - All Propane Mowers

#6 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 04:09 PM

Goto youtube, theres tonnes of people running propane on there, coleman cylinders, whatever. The one guy had a video how to re-fill a coleman cylinder.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you