#1 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6288
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 11:28 AM

I am new to this board and am enjoying it thus far. I used to have a Simplicity Mod. M walk-behind that was too far gone for me to do anything with. I did save the carb, air cleaner, and fuel tank with sediment bowl off the Briggs Mod. 9 engine. When I was cleaning out the rest of the shed, I came across this plow but I am not sure if it was with this walk-behind unit or for something else. It definitely is a Brinly unit and 6 1/2" due to all the stamps on the items.

Would anyone be willing and able to confirm this for me? I am glad to receive private messages with other questions or on here as well. I am just thankful for any information I may be able to obtain. Thanks!

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 05:01 PM

It certainly looks like a walk behind plow, especially with where the adjustment is. Is there any paint under the heads, that's often a big clue to brand.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 06:34 PM

:wave: alsparl Welcome to GTTalk! I don't know what your plow fits, but when you find out We'll both know. LOL Check out this thread that I posted way back in February! Click Here It would seem to me that they're identical except that mine has the top bar still. Our membership has probably doubled since then, so maybe there's someone who has one and tell us both! Thanks for signing up!

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:20 PM

alsparl, welcome to GT Talk, we are glad you joined,
the beam adjustment rod was misleading at first, it looked like it was attached to the shoe, it is much like my plow for my speedex walk behind but much newer, i would put it at 1960's, brinley made plows for a range of tractors, the beam was the only way you could really tell what tractor it whent to and yours is missing, the paint color will help narrow it down, look under bolts, nuts, and between the plow parts,
if there was any part numbers stamped into the back of the moldboard and the plowshare please post it and we will help you narrow it down,

Attached Thumbnails

• S5000365.jpg

• caseguy said thank you

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 06:02 AM

before i forget again,
because the plow is missing it's main beam does not by any means worthless, if you have a welder and some experience working with metal you could fab. your own hitch for a garden tractor of your choosing, any questions regarding this please ask,
im a bit of a plow nut,

#6 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6288
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 09:23 AM

Caseguy, I have to agree with you, our plow units appear to be the same. In all my research and pictures that I have seen, your's is the only one that has the same bolt hole pattern on the standard and the same adjustment "turnbuckle," if you wish to call it that.

Trowel & MH81, I have had this unit a part a couple different times as most of it has been cleaned up decent by way of electrolysis, which is a great system. I can easily read a number of the Brinly part numbers stamped into each piece. The colors I have seen underneath are in the line a deep blue, dark green.

The part numbers that are on the individual pieces do not show up on any Brinly parts listing I have been able to come by. Interestingly enough, I even contacted a person within Brinly who has been with the company the longest. He explained all these "identify this" requests come to him due to his extensive knowledge and tenure. Ironically, he apologized but he said he had never seen a plow exactly like this before either. He mentioned having worked there over 30 years and being the longest tenured employee, so this unit was even before his time. He requested I let him know when I find out so he can label the pictures I sent him. He was fantastic to work with and talk to and I only wish I had our conversation recorded due to the massive amounts of information he was passing along and my slowness to document it all...haha.

I appreciate all the responses from everyone and am very interested in knowing exactly what this is at this point.

#7 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 09:45 AM

Let me get some pics of my plows tonight and we can compare.
I am not sure what mine are from except the one I have on a DB 2 wheeler.

#8 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• Member No: 6318
  • 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:13 PM

I have a Simplicity M and a Montgomery Ward Power Trac. Both have a Brinly style plow. The adjustment on mine is a long crank-shaped screw rod on the top of the plow beam. Mine do not have the adjustment on the heel of the blade like the one pictured. The mold board looks the same. Respectfully...Wobbly

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:36 PM

wobbly, the adjustment rod is not conected to the heel of the plow, it's just laying there, it is for the main beam, can you post a picture of your brinly plow so we can compare with the others,

#10 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 06:57 AM

I am new to the net. I do not know how to post pictures. There is some magic between taking the picture in my camera and getting the image into the computer that I do not understand. I think the problem is that my compter doesn't have any spark plugs. My daughter who is many decades younger than me may visit this weekend. Perhaps she can work the magic. If she can post them, I will be glad to post them. Respectfully....Wobbly

#11 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 09:23 PM

Trowel,
I have a plow for my Plow-Trac that I believe is set up and good to go.
I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow and post.
Steve

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 07:21 AM

thank you steve, as a bit of a plow nut i look farward to your pic.s,
wobbly, im fairly new to computers too only having started using one just a few years ago, it is compacated and i understand, we are not in any hurry of any kind, one day at a time,

#13 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 05:07 PM

Good Gravely and then some 156.jpg Here is a Blount plow found on a Lawn Chief walk behind. Notice the hook up on the first picture. I took these at the Wayne Ohio Fall Engine Show. The owner said this plow was marketed by Lawn Chief but made by Blount. The hook-up looks like it would interchange with the Brinly in question that started this thread. Respectfully...wobbly

Attached Thumbnails

• Good Gravely and then some 157.jpg

#14 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 05:26 PM

Good Gravely and then some 160.jpg Here is my 6 1/2" Simplicity plow for my Model M. I also have an identical one that was marketed by Montgomery Ward with my Power Trac. The hitch on my Brinly cultivator looks the same but it will not fit either tractor. The jaw is 1/2 to 3/4 " too small. I hope this is a help. Best to you...wobbly.

Attached Thumbnails

• Good Gravely and then some 158.jpg

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 10:25 PM

much appreciated wobbly, those are great clear picturs i will save onto my personal file for lator use, looks to be in great shape and a great help,
looking at the plow itself it for the most part is the same as the other brinley plows, the main beam changes as per the tractor hitch, planet jr. did the same with it's cultivators and plows, the swivle rolling coulter and main beam adjustment rod makes for a great addition to the brinley plow lending itself to cut a clean furrow,
next to the david bradley's underslung garden plows thoses are my 2nd favoret plows to use,