• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:47 AM

I quit a year and a half ago for about 8 months. Things got a little stressful and I caved and went back to smoking. After feeling like crap all of the time and getting tired of paying the outrageous prices for smokes I made up my mind to quit smoking again.

I can't just quit cold turkey, I have tried and it lasts for maybe a day. So I used chantix like I did the last time. This past Saturday was my quit day. Which was hard to pull off because we just finished throwing all of our stuff that was in the basement in the dumpster the night before.

We went for a bike ride at the one park on Sunday. Took the little one in the trailer and then let her play on the swingset. We had about 5 mile that day.

When I quit the last time biking is what kept me going. I plan on biking again as much as possible and this time I will get a trainer to set the bike up on over the winter months when it is cold.

We went for another ride yesterday. This time it was just the wife and I. We rode on a couple of back roads and made a big circle around the house. Came out to 7.4 mile which wasn't too bad. I was ready to go for more but my wife was ready to call it quits. I don't blame her though, we haven't rode bike in over a year. I am really looking forward to putting some miles on the bike and getting my lungs back in shape. Loosing some weight would be an added bonus.

A couple more days and I think I will be home free. The first three days were tough. The cravings are starting to lessen. I haven't been on the computer as much when at the house because it is something that reminds me of smoking because I would go take a smoke break every half our to an hour. I smoked since I was in 8th grade and in the last 10 years have been around a pack and a half a day.

#2 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:54 AM

Stick with it George!
I did it back in 2006 after a heart scare. I used the Patch and it made it a lot easier for me.
GOOD LUCK! We are here for you George.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 08:04 AM

It might be very hard to quit but only good things will come out when you do , Al

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 08:22 AM

I think you can do it George! I know how tough it is, as I've attempted it several times. Be my inspiration!

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 08:56 AM

Good luck with it, George. You can do it!

#6 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 09:07 AM

Keep it up George, as an X smoker I know how hard it is, but just think of the extra project funds you will have!! And the positive impact on yourself and the family.
Peter

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 09:38 AM

That's great George,now just keep it up.

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 09:48 AM

I really hope this goes well for you George. It took me several tries but that was back in 86 and I don't regret it at all. Used to enjoy smoking and now I can't hardly stand being around it. Typical X smoker I guess. Anyway I hope your successful and years down the road when your enjoying your Grand children you will be very grateful you quit.

#9 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 09:53 AM

Good Luck George

#10 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 09:58 AM

George, YOU CAN DO IT. Like lots of people I started smoking when I was in the military. I smoked from about 1966 until 1978 and was smoking about a pack a day. One Saturday I had my first asthma attack and the wife had to take me to the local minor emergency. While laying there, being treated with adrenalin, I realized I had a pack of Marlboro in my shirt pocket. On the way out I dropped them in the trash and haven't had a smoke since. Keep telling yourself it's the thing to do and before long it becomes mind over matter. You've got out backing. You go George!

#11 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 11:01 AM

I quit on 10-10-2000 after 40 yrs. The doc. gave me Zyban to do the job. The first week was a little rough, but after that it wasn't bad except for Thanksgiving & Christmas. U know how U always want a smoke after a big meal. The Zyban is the
same as Buspar anti-depressant, but the side effects didn't cause me any problems.
The pills help, but mainly it's mind over matter. After I got past the craving, it didn't
bother me if someone else was smoking. Good luck to all of U.:good_job:

#12 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 11:04 AM

stick with it!

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 11:07 AM

I think you can do it George! I know how tough it is, as I've attempted it several times. Be my inspiration!

:ditto: show us it's doable.

#14 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 11:26 AM

You can do it George! Do it for yourself, do it for your family, do it for the whole GTtalk team! We are rooting for you!

#15 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,116 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 11:45 AM

You can do it George.The first time i stopped was 01/01/2002 cold turkey after 18 years and it lasted 4 years now i am thinking of stopping again myself.