• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#91 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• Member No: 4947
  • 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 01:27 PM

Now that I have the engine bolted down, I went ahead and attached the PTO shaft. Man what a Pita! Thank gawd I have small hands. My neighbor said to use blue locktite on these bolts, so I did. I wedged a prybar in between the u-joint to keep the crank from turning. All I got to say, is I'm glad this part is done.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_44871.jpg

#92 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 01:33 PM

I think I'm getting pretty close now. Have a couple pieces of engine cover trim & some air cleaner parts to put on. Still have the battery tray and battery to install. Going to order a new choke cable since I just remembered the one I had was kinked. I'm missing a throttle spring, so still looking around for that. Other than that, I just have the wiring left. I saved that for last because I'm completly lost on this. I searched a little bit for a decent wiring diagram, but havent came across one that helps, so hope you guy's can help me out.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_44941.jpg

#93 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 01:37 PM

Okay, here is my first electrical question. There's a harness coming thru the firewall with a 3 cavity plug and three seperate wires. Yellow, Blue, & Purple. Any help to where these hook up to would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_44891.jpg

#94 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Just wanted to post that I know where these wires go now, so I'm not waisting someones time looking them up for me.
Purple = "S" terminal on starter, Blue = Front PTO, & Yellow = Headlamps. thanks for your help on this Brian!

#95 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 10:40 AM

No problem. This had been a really interesting thread. I'm looking forward to you getting it running again.

#96 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 11:40 AM

Is it running yet? The suspense is killing me!:smile1:

#97 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 07:21 PM

lol ... almost Cvans! I stopped working on this yesterday cause I wanted to see Tony Stewart win the championship! (I'm acualy a die hard junior fan). Anyways, I was able to get the starter, PTO, & headlight wires all loomed and installed. I also installed the regulator and wired that as well. Just a few more things to do. If you look at the pic close enough, I still need to figure out where the battery ground cable gets grounded to? and also the headlight ground wire which you can see dangling in the pic too. Of all things, I remembered tonight that I haven't put oil in this thing yet, so will stop tomorrow after work and pic some up. Also need to swing by the JD dealer and pick up a throttle spring that I couldn't find! With any luck, I'll have the battery in and be able start this up soon!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_44951.jpg
  • IMG_44961.jpg

#98 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Battery ground to engine block would be best. If the engine is mounted on rubber mounts then another ground wire between the engine and the tractor frame. Head light ground to most any grounded metal.
It always scares me that I will forget the oil so I take the key out of the tractor until the oil is added. That'd be a real bummer :bash:

#99 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 09:11 AM

Got the 318 fired up last night, Wow how exciting that was! I started out by installing the battery, and after a half hour of wondering why I couldn't get the retainer on, I realized it was the old battery out of my golf cart! After shaking my head and getting the right battery in, I hooked the ground cable to the same bolt as the lift eye bracket and then the headlight ground to one of the metal covers. I then poured 1.75 qts of 10W-30 according to my manual, and then hunted down my can of starting fluid. The fuel line was completely dry, but only had to spray the carb about 3 times and boom, off she went! Not knowing much about how to break this in, I decided to let it idle for a few minutes as I looked everything over for any leaks. I also checked the PTO engagement, and it worked like a charm. I'll double check the gap this weekend on that. I also hit the headlight switch to see if the headlights were working, but didn't get any. Will have to check the wiring to see whats up with that. I shot a vidio and am uploading it to youtube right now. Its taking forever to upload, but hopefully will be able to post it here yet this morning.

#100 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 09:20 AM

I gotta head out in a few minutes to get milk parlor equipment we bought at auction last week, but maybe it'll upload before I leave. If not, I'll be viewing it as soon as I get back!

#101 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 10:21 AM

Congratulations!!!!! It always seems rewarding to me when an engine fires up and runs the first time. Wish I could have been there to see the smile on your face. Looking forward to that video.

#102 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 11:53 AM

Sorry it took so long to post this. I had to convert it from AVI to MP3 before uploading it to U-tube. Tell me what you think!

#103 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 12:13 PM

It must feel good to have it running. Those twins certainly are smooth compared to the big singles. In the video it sounds like it's missing every now and then but it may be the audio cutting out. It should be good for a long time now. Congratulations!

#104 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 12:32 PM

congratulations on the rebuild it sounds great for the first start up . i love the sound of a onan when they are running properly . it should last for many many years and again congrats .

#105 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 01:07 PM

Yeah it definiatly put a smile on my face when it took off like that. I think I might pick up some carb cleaner on the way home tonight and try that. I don't think that carb has ever been touched and it might smooth that miss out that JDBrian was talking about. I forgot how mean sounding that engine is compared to my 400....lol