• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#76 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• Member No: 4947
  • 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 07:36 PM

I decided to go ahead and hold off on putting the exhaust back on. I want to clean it up and get it repainted. The electric clutch is ready to go back on, but looks like I need to install the exhaust first. I couldn't get the exhaust mounting bolts past the clutch ring during a test fitup.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_44831.jpg

#77 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 07:41 PM

Here's a little tidbit if your in a jam. the regulator to the left is off my 400. It went bad at the beginning of the summer, and since the 318 was torn apart, I decided to try the regulator pictured to the right. It plugged right in and I've been running all summer with it!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_44821.jpg

#78 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 07:44 PM

Here's a little tidbit if your in a jam. the regulator to the left is off my 400. It went bad at the beginning of the summer, and since the 318 was torn apart, I decided to try the regulator pictured to the right. It plugged right in and I've been running all summer with it!

Yep, almost any 3 pole regulator/rectifier will work on it. Kohler, Onan, Tecumseh...all interchange. Some TEC ones may be 10amp reg/rectifiers, but all that means is you will only get 10amps. I think all the Onan & Kohler reg/rect are 15amps.

#79 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 07:52 PM

The only problem with using a regulator that is a lower current rating is that you could overheat it. The coil determines how much current you have available. A 15 amp coil could overheat a 10 amp regulator if you are using all 15 amps for long periods of time. On the other hand it may work fine.

#80 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 07:55 PM

The only problem with using a regulator that is a lower current rating is that you could overheat it. The coil determines how much current you have available. A 15 amp coil could overheat a 10 amp regulator if you are using all 15 amps for long periods of time. On the other hand it may work fine.

I won't dispute what you say at all, as you may be right. But I used a 10amp TEC reg/rect for a few years on a Kohler w/15amp stator with no problems, but maybe I was just lucky! But it only put out the 10amps, not 15.

#81 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 08:17 PM

You two know way too much for your own good....lol Sure am glad you do though, Good to know your standing by if I get in a jam :)

#82 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 08:25 PM

You two know way too much for your own good....lol Sure am glad you do though, Good to know your standing by if I get in a jam :)

Too be honest, sometimes I "think" I know more than is factual. But I've found that many things that aren't supposed to work often do work fine. In the case that I am wrong, I am glad to be corrected! I hate to find out I have stated something that is wrong, and has happened more than once for sure! I don't want to send anyone down the wrong road.

#83 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 01:46 PM

Have the tractor up on jack stands this morning. Removed the mower deck so I can get to the belly screen. Figured I can do some cleaning while I'm under there. Picked up some Valspar high temp paint for the exhaust, so should be able to get that installed here shortly along with the electric clutch. I do need your help identifying this C-clip though. I think it might go to the clutch? Its about 3 1/8" diameter. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_44861.jpg

#84 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 01:53 PM

The size of the coil definitely influences the current produced. I'm not sure the ratings that they give are very accurate. My point really is that the regulator/rectifier contains diodes and SCR's etc that have a definite current limit. When pushed above that limit the heat produced will destroy the part. It's impossible to really tell how conservatively these things were designed and also how much actual current they are regulating in any given application. I just wanted to point out that the possibility exists for a coil capable of delivering 15amps to damage a regulator rated for 10 amps. This is purely based on my knowledge of the parts inside the regulators and my experience with similar applications in industry.

#85 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 01:56 PM

There is one of those clips on my 314 clutch so it's possible that's where it goes. You should be able to see the groove in the clutch. Have a look at the parts diagram on JDParts.com if you can't figure it out.

#86 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Brian, I found it. The bearing was pulled out a bit which covered the groove enough to where I couldn't see it. Just need to press the bearing back down into place. Anything I should know about tighting down on the 3 springs? thanks

#87 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 04:27 PM

Thanks Brian, I found it. The bearing was pulled out a bit which covered the groove enough to where I couldn't see it. Just need to press the bearing back down into place. Anything I should know about tighting down on the 3 springs? thanks

You use a .018" feeler gauge to set the gap between the rotor and armature. You put the feeler gauge in through the slots in the side of the clutch and tighten the three nuts until you get the gap consistent at .018 all around. It only takes a few minutes. After you get it running again check the adjustment after you have engaged the clutch a few times to make sure it's still OK.
You must be getting close to getting it running again.Thanks for documenting it in this thread. I'm sure it will be useful to many people in the future.

#88 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 04:43 PM

Brian right on the clutch adjustment. It's one of the easiest jobs on the tractor. The manual says to set it at !8 Thou as brian said. My Brother said set it at 14 thou.
I split the difference and set mine at 16 thou.

#89 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 04:48 PM

When I did mine I could not get the clearance I needed and had to add a shim to the shaft. I think it was about .030. The springs in the clutch itself were really tired on mine. Let us know how you make out with it.

#90 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I was able to install the snap ring this morning, then broke out the feeler gage to adjust the clutch. took a few minutes checking all three slots and adjusting all three nuts, but was able to get the .018

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_44881.jpg