Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month of October 2011!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month of October 2011! (142 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month of October 2011!

1. 82 Ford LGT 165 - skyrydr2 (45 votes [31.47%])

Percentage of vote: 31.47%

2. 62 Sears Suburban - Lauber1 (35 votes [24.48%])

Percentage of vote: 24.48%

3. 83 John Deere 68 - KennyP (12 votes [8.39%])

Percentage of vote: 8.39%

4. 77 Sears Suburban GT18 - Jimbobbillyray (7 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

5. Massey 1655 - ducky (28 votes [19.58%])

Percentage of vote: 19.58%

6. Craftsman GT18 (Cat) - wvbuzzmaster (9 votes [6.29%])

Percentage of vote: 6.29%

7. 70 Sears SS12 - BillTheTractorMan (7 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 11:02 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of October 2011 has now officially started and will end the last day of September. The theme for this month is "Harvest Month".

The winner will be featured on the front page for the entire month of October starting on the 1st of the month and will be in our featured tractors section for infinity :D

Here is a list of the nominees in no special order:

• 82 Ford LGT 165 - skyrydr2
  • 62 Sears Suburban - Lauber1
  • 83 John Deere 68 - KennyP
  • 77 Sears Suburban GT18 - Jimbobbillyray
  • Massey 1655 - ducky
  • Craftsman GT18 (Caterpillar) - wvbuzzmaster
  • 70 Sears SS12 - BillTheTractorMan

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below. :D

Please remember that the winning tractor cannot be nominated again for a full year. Thanks and good luck!

Just some extra notes: Voting got a late start this month so don't expect any record breakers on the number of votes. Also starting next month we are going to have to tighten ship a little more on the entries where the images are added as attachments and not from another hosted source. It makes for more work when copying posts. Hopefully everyone will understand and from now on if the entry's images are not added as attachments the nomination will be void.

Edited by NUTNDUN, September 12, 2011 - 08:42 PM.

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted September 02, 2011 - 07:14 PM

Well here goes, I would like to see my 1982 Ford LGT 165 be nominated for tractor of the month.
I acquired this tractor back in August, 2009 and new it had potential. It was a basket case to say the least. Well I figured I would at least see if everything worked before I parted it out, but needed to get an engine in it first.
Well I just happened to have an 18hp Briggs twin I could try it with.
Got the engine grafted in and took it for a ride, the transmission worked perfectly as did the deck lift too. Well now I was very happy and wanted to try the deck out but had to figure out how to get the pto to work? One 1" to 1 1/8" bushing and a few Shims and it was working, next issue, mule drive didn't line up? This was an easy fix by re drilling 2 new holes for the cross pin , got a 2" longer belt and I was in business and it has not stopped mowing since .
This tractor has evolved ever since to be and do just what I want it to do, it plows and grades, tills and bottom plows, snowblows, and tows. It is my main machine for sure.
It has Hydraulics front and rear, 3 point hitch, multi speed pto and best of all powersteering and a 3 cylinder diesel powering it.
This is the pride of my fleet for sure ,I just love this rig and so does my daughter too .

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0289.jpg
  • IMAG0253.jpg
  • IMAG0284.jpg

#3 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 04:16 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20319[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20318[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20317[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20316[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20314[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20315[/ATTACH]Ok introducing you guys to my 1962, 917.60628 Sears Suburban. I got this tractor at a public auction in about 2002. Its powered by a Briggs 143402 engine of 6hp. It has a hand clutch, and vari-speed The tractor came with a hand operated 3 pt hitch and factory wheel weight/ dual kit. These 50# weights are cone shaped and let you add duals to their pointed ends, to become the mounting place. I use this tractor for just about everything in the yard or garden, even pull trucks around with it once in a while.

I have almost every factory attachment for it and all with David Bradley tags, as thats who orginally built it. Acually i have double or triple of each attachment, as at one time they just fell from the sky. We can plow, cultivate, seed, harrow, disc, mow, and have a 3pt engine powered roto-spader that i use also. In the yard it dethatches, pulls the sweeper, and blades the snow off the drive, or pushes dirt with blades mounted on either end. Im posting some picutes here of it doing various things around the yard/garden.

Attached Thumbnails

• scan0018.jpg
  • harrowing.jpg
  • scan0017.jpg
  • 628 garden.jpg
  • 628 seeder.jpg
  • 628 hiller.jpg

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 12:12 PM

I would like to nominate my 1983 John Deere Model 68 this month. This is mostly a mower, but occasionally sees duty as a trailer toter. Seeing I had produce in the garden that needed picked and hauled to the house, I hooked up the trailer and proceeded to collect the harvest.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20586[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20587[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20585[/ATTACH]

I bought this lawn tractor about a month ago for $40. I had no idea where to start with it, so I found some files to download. First off was getting it to run. The PO had removed the ignition switch so no one would steal it. I looked at a spare I had on a sears and saw it had the same wiring hook up. So I proceeded to remove it from the other tractor and hook it up on the 68. After removing the gas tank and carb for through cleaning, I added fuel, checked the oil, and installed an old battery. To my surprise, it started fairly easily. I finally got the new belts and clutch spring installed and this morning mowed the yard with it. Great little mower that really scoots in 5th gear.
I had to zoom in on the 'load of produce' so you folks wouldn't miss it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image003.jpg
  • Image002.jpg
  • Image001.jpg

#5 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted September 09, 2011 - 01:33 PM

If it's alright I'd like to nominate my '77 Sears GT 18. It is isn't the prettiest tractor out there but that's ok. It is a work horse. I have owned it since May of this year. This is my fourth Suburban over the last 15 years or so. I just sold a '71 SS 12 I have had and used for about 8 years. I seem to find them, fix them, use them for a while, then find something new to work on. It is going to be kinda hard to find one better than this old girl.
I had to put a carburator kit in it, i also changed the transaxle oil, motor oil, spark plugs, put in a new battery, etc., the stuff you usually do with a tractor that has been sitting for a few years. Now she starts right up and runs great! It pulls my plow with ease thru the garden. It came with a snow/dozer blade and a 48" rotary mower.
The photos I posted are of the tractor sitting on top of the sweet corn silage I had just created back in July, and of the tractor pulling a plow today thru the garden next to my tomatoe plants. About the only thing left in my garden today is tomato plants. The heat this summer was very rough on everything I planted. But, all is not over yet. When I get done plowing, I will till some and then plant some fall radishes and lettuce. It ain't over 'till we get a hard freeze!

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 10:30 AM

Well let's try.

We (me and my brother) acquired this tractor about 3 years ago. It came to use with a deck, blower, and tiller. We completely disassembled the tractor and repaired as required and painted everything and reassembled. It does a lot of work for use tilling my brothers and my gardens as well as snow duties for one of my nephews through the winter months.

Here it is at my place tilling ground for pumpkin and squash planting. My brother is at the controls. We attempt to keep the tractor looking as good as possible but it does have to work for a living as well as going to tractor shows. It was part of our MF/Snapper display at the Chilton Steam show this year which featured MH/MF this year. I am proud to mention we had the largest GT display at the show this year.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20815[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20816[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1736.jpg
  • IMG_1735.jpg

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 02:45 PM

Posted Image

Ok, I am getting bold here. I am nominating the Caterpillar with a 10 inch moldboard plow that had a refitted lever to adjust it's pitch/suck. You might think that the plow alone is the favorite attachment, and it is, but the winch lift on the sleeve hitch and the 37 Amp alternator by my foot in the picture help to make it even more fun. The tractor, a simple 1988 Craftsman GT18 powered by a Briggs and Stratton opposed twin was painted and decaled before me with a Caterpillar scheme. I kept that and added the sleeve hitch myself, but I did not want manual lift so I mounted a 2000 pound winch to a chunk of 4 inch channel extending high up for a straighter pull on the hitch. With that winch I needed more power, and not horsepower, but rather amps. So I mounted another pulley on the outside of the drive pulley in order to power a Delco Remy alternator. With all that upgrading I decided to run new wires throughout, and that is when I parked it.

When I finish repairing it and get it back together it will get new 26x10.50-12 ATV tires which will be loaded, and a front winch bumper. The current wheel weights will remain since they are 63 pounds each and the current rear tires will go on another tractor. What can I say about those two scrap yard parts other than they are great, and my front bumper was a scrap yard find too LOL. I will have to add and wire lights to the Caterpillar as well, but that will be another project. I eventually plan to upgrade the front axle and mount Snow Hog tires on the front, but I doubt all that will happen this year. I do plan to have it all set up by plow time next year though. I plan to be able to haul a** plowing, not that George (NUTNDUN) wants me to, but he thinks I should be able to, so I will have to see for myself. :bigrofl:

http://gardentractor...arplowing2-jpg/http://gardentractor...arplowing1-jpg/

#8 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 07:29 PM

well, here's my ugly duckling, my 1970 Sears SS12. Used it today to plow my moms garden up. Had to wait for my dad to leave because he will not allow me to use the tractor in the garden and my mom wants me too. I picked up the tractor two years ago almost for $265 with two sets of wheel weights. I received ags for free from a place I work later that summer when I got it. Guy came in and asked how much to get rid of them and I ended up with them. Later I got a dozer blade for $75 and during last winter I got a 3pt for it. Right now this summer I picked up the moldboard and another set of wheel weights so I'm up to three sets of wheel weights. This tractor has had a knock since I can remember, I call it knocker. Than randomly this summer it stopped knocking after a hard mowing. it has since started knocking again but I have had it apart and looked at it and there's nothing wrong inside. So either way with that, no worries. The moldboard plow, and 3pt I bought from a friend out east, got a good deal on them. Now as for the garden, it's kind of small, mom wants it bigger but dad says no. Mom planted a lot of stuff and I had four rows of potatoes. The potatoes that we got earlier this year were better, we ended up getting those nasty potato bugs. Oh, forgot about the hood, I have to explain why it's OLIVER green, not JD green... I painted it Oliver green with the idea that I would paint the tractor all up in Oliver but keep the sears decals and such. Now that has changed, I'm going to re-do things original Sears when I get the money.

that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

EDIT: I just noticed it needs to be 2 paragraphs... I read to quick and thought it said a paragraph... Hopefully one big one works?

Here's a video of it working today after the harvest, I didn't get a chance to take any pictures of my trailer full of tomatoes though.
plowing the garden with the 1970 Sears SS12 tractor - fall 2011 - YouTube

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20853[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20854[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• 005.jpg
  • 004.jpg

#9 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 09:25 PM

any chance we could see some pics of alternator & winch setup?

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 09:30 PM

any chance we could see some pics of alternator & winch setup?

I assume you are asking me this. If you look at my pics the winch used for the lift is behind the seat and the alternator is next to my right foot.

#11 tractorchick OFFLINE  

tractorchick

Tractorholic

• Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 284
  • 359 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 10:34 PM

too many good choices this time! Can't decide!

#12 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 10:50 PM

Well you could vote for the classic..........and then drive on out here and see the rest of the fleet.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 12:39 PM

Tough Choice! I did not see an option for "All of the above".

#14 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 01:14 PM

Tough Choice! I did not see an option for "All of the above".

Ditto That!!

Utah Smitty

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 02:02 PM

:ditto:

I'll have to do some thinking.