Jump to content

Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

Shaw Du-All -4


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 jdcrawler ONLINE  

jdcrawler

    tinkerer

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,175 Thanks
  • 1,726 posts
  • Location: Madison, Indiana

Posted September 12, 2011 - 08:17 PM

I'm going to use these two tapped holes in the top of the transmission for mounting the base plate for the seat.

Posted Image


This is one of the brackets off a truck camper for the jack stands.
I've bent the front edge to fit the angle of the mounting pads on the transmission.
Here I'm fitting the seat base in place.

Posted Image


Drilling the front mounting holes in the seat base.

Posted Image


The original walk behind garden tractor had a cast frame support on the back of the tractor frame.
It mounted in one side of the frame then went up, across and down to the other side of the frame.
You can see the rear frame support in this photo.

Posted Image


I took that rear frame support, turned it around and used it to support the rear of the seat base.

Posted Image


With the seat base in place, I then mounted the seat spring to the seat base.

Posted Image


Turns out that this seat spring is going to make the seat set too high.
I found a spring on ebay that is about half this height so the seat will end up sitting about 4 inch lower.

Posted Image


While I was in front of the tractor and eyeballing the seat, I realized the front of the frame is welded on to the frame rails at an angle.
It is about 3/8 inch higher on the one side.

Posted Image


The front cross plate is also out of square to the frame rails by about 1/4 inch.

Posted Image


So I cut the front cross plate off.

Posted Image


Then I took a long pipe and used it to twist the frame rails into place.

Posted Image


The frame rails are now level.

Posted Image


The sides are cut off the front plate so I'm left with just the center axle mount.

Posted Image


Using the pieces that I had cut off the back of the frame rails to shorten them, I'm trimming them to fit at an angle between the frame rails and the front plate.

Posted Image


Here is the new front frame design.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

    RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts
  • Location: East of San Antonio Texas

Posted September 12, 2011 - 08:20 PM

Ray, I see we are in for another fantastic built from you. Can't wait to follow along on the journey. Thanks for sharing with us !!
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

    FORDoholic

  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts
  • Location: Collinsville, Oklahoma

Posted September 13, 2011 - 06:21 AM

Ray, I love to read about your work. Very informative and simple. Thanks for the update pics.
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

    Dog Approved

  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts
  • Location: north central Ohio

Posted September 13, 2011 - 09:19 AM

Ray, I like the front axle. It makes it look more like the real thing.
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#5 jdcrawler ONLINE  

jdcrawler

    tinkerer

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,175 Thanks
  • 1,726 posts
  • Location: Madison, Indiana

Posted September 13, 2011 - 09:59 AM

I'm glad now that I didn't see that the front was off kilter before I shortened the frame.
If I had, I would have just straightened it before I welded the frame back up and would have most likely just left that wide flat front plate on it.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

    Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts
  • Location: Edinburg, PA

Posted September 13, 2011 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for bringing us along on another one of your fantastic projects Ray! It looks to me that the new design not only looks better, but it will also allow fuller pivot travel on uneven terrain! Looking good as always Ray!
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

    Accumulator

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts
  • Location: Upper Granville, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted September 13, 2011 - 02:54 PM

Ray,as usual,nice work.:thumbs:I will be following this one very closely.

Edited by mjodrey, September 13, 2011 - 02:59 PM.

  • jdcrawler said thank you

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

    Summer.

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts
  • Location: ma.

Posted September 18, 2011 - 08:28 AM

wow, im loving this, i like how you did the axle mount/frame rails much better then before, looks GREAT,
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

    Proud to be Deplorable

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts
  • Location: N. W. PA

Posted August 28, 2016 - 08:42 AM

Next phase of project can be found here
http://gardentractor...-shaw-du-all-5/




Top