• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jbus725 OFFLINE  

jbus725

• Member No: 6194
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 08:13 PM

hope all is well,as i mention before am going to attempt to build a puller out of a sears garden tractor not sure what year but here are the #s model # 977255812 serial # 2035S15057 if any one can tell me what year would be helpful,here are 2 pics hope they come out. this should be fun working on. al so if any one has pics of wheel bars for stock puller which what this will be to start with.need something simple.

Attached Thumbnails

• tractor puller.jpg
  • puller.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 02:06 AM

I can't help you on the pulling/wheelie bars, but I may have a small problem to present.

That unit is a LT or Lawn Tractor. It appears so in the pics anyways. If that's the case, it may not have a stout enough rear end for what you're going to use it for.

The LT units were usually equipped with smaller rear end due to the fact they were never designed for ground engaging equipment (plow), nor were they designed to carry much extra weight on the axels. If you are going to add weight, you will want to add it to the wheels, not the body of the tractor. I have seen the damage extra weight will do to this style of rear end. I rescued an LT and replaced the rear end. The unit was damaged because they added lots of extra weight to plow snow and they added it to the body of the tractor. It only took one year of plowing for the axel to wear clear up thru the bushings, part way thru the housing, and let the gears inside slip.

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, just want you to know the possibilities in advance.

#3 jbus725 OFFLINE  

jbus725

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 08:10 PM

thanks for the reply all i know it did have a mower Deck at one time and the guy i got it from said he used it on the farm for one season guess he meant summer and parked it.he said he thought he had bought it in late 90s and had been parked since then.after cleaning it up and doing some other work on it and dove it around alittle bit.hopefuly some body can tell me for sure what year it is

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 08:20 PM

I've got to agree with Alan that this LT won't hold up long at pulling. It may last long enough just to learn some pulling techniques & such, but that would be it. The driveline just cannot stand up to pulling abuse.

#5 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 08:29 PM

There is the possibility of making a circle track racer out of that style. I do not know if they do it at your location or not. I agree with the rest of the guys on the weakness of the rear end. Shawn

#6 jbus725 OFFLINE  

jbus725

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 09:00 PM

thanks for the info this is not for me iam doing this for my son which wants to do this so i would say it would last long enough for him to learn on.it does have a twin koler 14 horse motor should be enough for him. even if it last one ssummer it didnt cost me it was give to me so iguess i cant go wrong

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 09:19 PM

thanks for the info this is not for me iam doing this for my son which wants to do this so i would say it would last long enough for him to learn on.it does have a twin koler 14 horse motor should be enough for him. even if it last one ssummer it didnt cost me it was give to me so iguess i cant go wrong

He should get a barrel of fun from it before the rear gives out. Plus with a lighter load with him being a youngin, that will extend the transaxle's life a bit.

#8 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 06:34 PM

Were I you,I would find a cub cadet to build your puller.

#9 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 06:37 PM

This is 66 cub,highly modified for pullin.Last year it was a moroon color,this year,new paint..sublime green pearl

Posted Image

short video of me pulling.

Posted Image