Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 01:06 PM

Daniel

You've talked about building the fuel tank.  I need to get a tank for a Sears SS-16, and I'm not finding any.  I have some 16 ga galvanized metal, and a small pan brake.  Can I make a fuel tank out of galvanized and just solder up the joints (gasoline for fuel)??

Smitty

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#107 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 01:53 PM

Daniel

You've talked about building the fuel tank.  I need to get a tank for a Sears SS-16, and I'm not finding any.  I have some 16 ga galvanized metal, and a small pan brake.  Can I make a fuel tank out of galvanized and just solder up the joints (gasoline for fuel)??

Smitty

I don't see why not!  Main thing is get the metal clean, then etch with either muriatic acid or strong vinegar.  I take it you've soldered before?

#108 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Ive soldered before--radiator tanks and electrical, etc. I'll need to practice up a little. I was just concerned the galvanizing might cause a problem for the fuel. How do you build a tank... aluminum and heli-arc?

S

#109 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 06:09 PM

I've only built one aluminum tank, and used TIG.  I've built a couple steel tanks, ran out of gas for the TIG, so switched to stick.  Stick had too many porosities, so had leak after leak that I had to keep welding over & over, but I finally got it sealed up.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#110 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 07:47 PM

Went to the shop for a while & got the lower hydro cooler unit bracket made.  The top ones will be simple 1/4" all thread, which I have to pick some up.  I was scratching my head how to install the battery box, as I need it to bolt in place for easy removal for easy access to remove the hydro oil cooler if needing serviced.  After sitting there for half an hour, I have that all figured out, but actually fabbing the brackets will be another day.  Kinda tired tonight, so it can wait.  The hardest part is getting the ideas figured out in your head, then making it all is fairly simple.

Everything fits together pretty tight, but should look clean (I hope) once completed.

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#111 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Daniel

Smitty

Smitty, I'm not sure how you are going to solder the tank, but using a torch is very dangerous on Galvanized steel. You will produce a  Very Dangerous and Poisonous Fumes when using a flame. I'm not sure you can get the metal hot enough with an Iron unless it's a big iron.

• Utah Smitty and TAHOE have said thanks

#112 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 09:15 PM

You can solder galvanized sheet metal with a propane torch set at low heat. Be careful. If the galvanizing starts to gas off your already too hot. I would suggest you practice on scraps outdoors until your comfortable with the process. Keep your face away from the work and have moving air around you. If you can smell the galvanizing, you are putting your health at risk. The Zinc your system absorbs is a cumulative poison and will be with you forever. Be careful! 

You want to use acid core solder and have extra flux and a flux brush available. I've had factory soldered gas tanks and they held up fine.  

Edited by Cvans, May 29, 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#113 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 06:31 PM

While I don't feel so good this evening, it's hard for me to sit on my butt unless I'm asleep.  So did some battery box work.  It's all done except for drilling a couple holes.  The box has a tab welded on the bottom to hold the right side top of the hydro cooler.  The other side on the top will get the all-thread stay.  I didn't take any pics, but it will all look clean when finished, but I doubt I'll break anything down for paint.  It's a worker, so shiny paint may cause me to baby it, and that isn't what I intend to do.  I'd say once I get it back to work ready, it'll likely be a while, if I ever get a hood back on it.  Within a week or so I hope to have it drive ready.  Still haven't had time to go get the steel for the grill/radiator guard, but I'm a ways from getting to that point anyway.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#114 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Smitty, I'm not sure how you are going to solder the tank, but using a torch is very dangerous on Galvanized steel. You will produce a  Very Dangerous and Poisonous Fumes when using a flame. I'm not sure you can get the metal hot enough with an Iron unless it's a big iron.

Thanks for your concern... in school shop, we used a BIG electric soldering iron and soldered up some small sheet metal boxes we built. I've soldered leaking diesel fuel tanks on Deuce and a Half and 5-ton military trucks with a torch and solder, and had satisfactory results... the problem with them was the CARC paint, which is a two-part paint that is poisonous when burned--kind of like polyurethane paint.

I don't have a big iron, but was planning to CAREFULLY heat the metal with a propane torch and sweat the solder into it.  I have a HF spot welder that does pretty good at tacking things up... do I hope it will work...

Smitty

#115 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 06:42 PM

Still haven't had time to go get the steel for the grill/radiator guard, but I'm a ways from getting to that point anyway.

I've bought expanded metal in small sheets at Home Depot... It might be just the right size for your grill...

Smitty

#116 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 06:59 PM

I've bought expanded metal in small sheets at Home Depot... It might be just the right size for your grill...

Smitty

I have the expanded steel, but not any 1" square tubing to built the guard frame.

#117 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Went & got a couple pics.  

DSC00596.JPG

With stock side panel slipped in, no trimming required at all!

DSC00598.JPG DSC00597.JPG

#118 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 09:11 PM

That looks good Daniel. Nice to get everything to fit back to stock.

• olcowhand said thank you

#119 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Battery box is installed solid now.  Got my flywheel stub extension built this evening & all installed on flywheel with new belt to the hydraulic pump.  Old one was 2 inches too long after the gas to diesel swap.  Also picked up some rubber to mount the radiator snug, but delicately held to protect this aluminum radiator. Hard to explain how I'm doing it, so I'll just post pics when finished.  Hoping to get this all finished by mid afternoon.  For now I'll just strap on a 1 gallon fuel tank to a fender or wherever I can get it to ride till I can build a new tank.

Tomorrow I should be able to take a maiden "diesel drive".

• KennyP, sacsr and BairleaFarm have said thanks

#120 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 06:10 AM