• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Glad it fired off for you! How big of a turbo are you going? I know you want to see that black smoke rolling! LOL

Wanna go about 25lbs boost, and propane injection!  :bigrofl:

• KennyP and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#77 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 04:02 PM

Mike (dieselcubmike), you have then 3 core radiator.  To save money, if I have to buy a new radiator, I'm thinking the 2 core (2" thick cores) would be plenty for my 3TN66 Yanmar.  I will be adding a hydro cooler in front of it, so I would be running my fan full time.  Don't you (others opinions as well) think this would provide plenty of cooling?  My 4 core radiator is smaller at 13 x 13", plus the fan cycles on & off with the thermostatic switch.  It cools down to fan shutoff in just a few seconds. 

#78 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,502 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 04:09 PM

I don't know how cold it gets down there in the winter but having the fan run all the time on your hydro cooler my make things slow for quite a while. Would imagine the engine has a thermostat so that's not quite as bad. 

Edited by Cvans, May 21, 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#79 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 04:32 PM

I don't know how cold it gets down there in the winter but having the fan run all the time on your hydro cooler my make things slow for quite a while. Would imagine the engine has a thermostat so that's not quite as bad. 

Yes, that crossed my mind too, and I had thought of adding a bypass system, much like a winterizing kit on a camper hot water heater.

#80 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 04:48 PM

Daniel, are you sophisticated enough with wiring to wire two heat sensors in parallel  one to the radiator and one to the hydro cooler?  Then, when both systems are cold the fan won't run, but when either heats up, the fan will come on.  The engine has a thermostat, so it should maintain heat even if the radiator IS being over cooled.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#81 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Daniel, are you sophisticated enough with wiring to wire two heat sensors in parallel  one to the radiator and one to the hydro cooler?  Then, when both systems are cold the fan won't run, but when either heats up, the fan will come on.  The engine has a thermostat, so it should maintain heat even if the radiator IS being over cooled.

I thought about that too Howard (as I'm a little bit sofistamacated:-)  but just not sure where/how I'd add a sensor switch to the hydro as I don't think there's a spot I could place one.  I guess I could just make a junction block to hold one though. 

• Texas Deere and Horse and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#82 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Normally I don't stay in the shop at night, but Teresa had to get groceries & stuff, so I got a lot accomplished by staying out there.  Got the driveshaft shortened & installed.  Also got the radiator hoses reconfigured to reach the radiator I have temporarily  mounted, just sitting off the front of the frame.  But when I went to run it after adding coolant, she quit running, then I seen my fuel line had flipped out of the jug.  Air in the system.  Almost had her going when my battery got too low.  Charger on & there's tomorrow.

Some pics:

DSC00551.JPG DSC00557.JPG DSC00553.JPG DSC00552.JPG DSC00558.JPG DSC00559.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, tractorgarden and 3 others have said thanks

#83 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,502 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 10:38 PM

she quit running, then I seen my fuel line had flipped out of the jug.

Don't you just hate when stuff like that happens.  :mad2:

#84 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:03 PM

Mike (dieselcubmike), you have then 3 core radiator.  To save money, if I have to buy a new radiator, I'm thinking the 2 core (2" thick cores) would be plenty for my 3TN66 Yanmar.  I will be adding a hydro cooler in front of it, so I would be running my fan full time.  Don't you (others opinions as well) think this would provide plenty of cooling?  My 4 core radiator is smaller at 13 x 13", plus the fan cycles on & off with the thermostatic switch.  It cools down to fan shutoff in just a few seconds. 

You could probably get away with it. Im not too familiar with the yanmar motors so im not sure what kind of heat they generate and power. But I like everyone's concerns so far with the cold temps so that would be something to look into dan. Depending on how much you use it I would stay with stay with the 4 core if its bigger but if its only used sporadically then the 2 big cores should do fine.  

• olcowhand said thank you

#85 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:44 PM

Daniel, I know you said it was going to take you a good while to complete this but, I wish you would quit dragging your heals on this re-power. You've been way to long on this project already.

:bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

Very nice, can't believe how much you have got done on it already. Way to Go !! :thumbs:

#86 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 01:06 AM

Awesome, Daniel! You'll be back cleaning stalls real soon at this rate!

#87 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:39 AM

Daniel, I know you said it was going to take you a good while to complete this but, I wish you would quit dragging your heals on this re-power. You've been way to long on this project already.

:bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

Very nice, can't believe how much you have got done on it already. Way to Go !! :thumbs:

But it's a long way from finished!  If it hadn't rained, this much wouldn't be done.  I can work on it some, but need to put some new braces for the milk parlor holding pen today too.  Supposed to have rain/storms this afternoon.

#88 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 10:19 AM

I have decided to just go with this radiator, but putting a hood on may prove to be a challenge due to length, proximity to loader cross arm, etc.  But she's a worker & to keep the Onan cool I had to keep the hood off anyway.  This fan cycles fine, and radiator is tight.  Plus I have the slide on screen to keep the cores clean.  AND it will save me money I don't have to spend on another one.  No leaks anywhere, and engine runs totally smooth with no vibrations from it or the driveshaft.

Gonna take some head scratching to build the radiator mount as there are no mount tabs at all as it originally sat into a boxed frame of sorts padded in rubber.

Just a short video.

• Craig., KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#89 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Cool project. I have an old Sears that would provide a nice home for that old Onan and I'm closer than Kenny  :D

#90 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Daniel, Boy that Yammar sounds good and sooth. Time to test drive it.

Very Nice!!