• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 09:56 PM

I can't wait to work it with loader mounted back on.  Gonna be so much nicer.  No more vapor-locking on hot days, no more shaking from the old driveshaft & engine mount issues, no more gunked up carbs, & no more checking/setting points!  There are so many positives with diesel, but just one downside....if they break, they break your pocket!  But life span for diesels is just amazing if cared for, so hoping for a long life from it.

I may just mount the bumper on the front for now so I can protect the radiator & still use the loader.  Might be a couple weeks (or more) before I can get the steel for the guard/grill/hood mount.

• Craig., KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#137 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 10:32 PM

Nice work Daniel. Only thing missing is the wheelie bars. :smilewink: The engine sounds very nice.

I think your going to really appreciate the fuel economy compared to the gas engine that was in there.

Your not kidding about the cost of repairs. My Son in-law purchased a Kubota G4200 from where he works and it needs an injector pump. $800.00 for a new one.  :mad2:  I think I will just give him the engine out of mine.

Edited by Cvans, June 02, 2013 - 04:53 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig. and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#138 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Daniel, your the man!  That is quite a nice job you have done converting it over to diesel.  I really don't know anything about a diesel so I tend to shy away from them.  Glad you have it running, that is always a good feeling. :D :thumbs:

• olcowhand said thank you

#139 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 03:22 PM

Done some digging through the steel pile & found all I need to build the new grill.  So will likely start working on it some in the evenings this week.  Got too much farm work to do during the days.  I'll definitely be building the hood to hinge off the grill.  I found some sheet metal to extend the hood about 4" too.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#140 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 04:06 PM

I know it will look good when your finished and be user friendly. :thumbs:  Just waiting to see how it looks. :D

#141 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Going to need the loader back on this Massey soon to do drainage & smooth outside the patio paver area, so tonight after chores I threw this grill together.  I had it figured out in my head already, so went quick.  The frame is 2 old milk parlor feeder brackets welded together.  Put the 2 bends on each side to bring it in to the frame rails.  The top fits the hood curvature & width perfectly.  The only expanded steel I had was stainless, and I only had nickel rod & it didn't weld worth a dang, so later I may have to drill & countersink retainer screws with nuts through the grill frame.  I can easily put the hood on with the loader mounted, so just wanted to get this done for now.  No "Silver Mist" paint, but this Plastikote "Steel Wheel" is pretty much a dead ringer for it.  Everything I've done in this repower is "bolt on" for easy removal if I ever need to.

DSC00612.JPG DSC00613.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#142 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 09:41 PM

Its cool to see you got it running great, I love the video, Looks like you got all the power your going to need, Now I'm jealous all over again lol. After Craig gets married this July I'm going to try to make it down there during my long weekend, to take a break, lol. see you, Mom & Dad. Maybe if everything works out I can get down there same time as plow day, here's hoping lol.  

#143 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 09:55 PM

Just trying to figure exactly where I want the engine.  The stub that came with this engine is long enough to bolt the pulley that drives the hydraulics right onto it, but I think I'd rather scoot the engine rearward.  That would require making a short stub extension, which would be easy enough, so I think I'll go that route.  The stock engine mount ears aren't in a good place to use the rubber stock mounts from the Gator, so looks like I'll go with solid bolt mounts, which I don't think will matter that much.  These 3 cylinders run so smooth there isn't much vibe or shake.

attachicon.gifDSC00008.JPGattachicon.gifDSC00009.JPGattachicon.gifDSC00010.JPG

Hey looking at the pic's, did you move your shop like you wanted? I don't recognize it, but I do recognize the tools????

#144 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hey looking at the pic's, did you move your shop like you wanted? I don't recognize it, but I do recognize the tools????

Yep, my tooling is all in the farm shop.  Redone the wall to the right.  You can find the "read about it" it HERE.

#145 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Once I got my chores finished this afternoon, I got a hood extension riveted on and hood mounted.  Looks much better with a hood.  The front of the hood I'll trim to match the grill frame when I get time.  Also, where you can see the radiator, I'll be bolting in red panels onto the grill frame to cover that front area, just like the original hood lowers did.

I love the new look much better than the OE grill.

And I know....mis-measured & cut the exhaust cutout in the hood too high.  Oh well, no biggie.  It will likely get a riser pipe as the way it is it will be exhausting on my lift cylinders & hoses.  

DSC00614.JPG DSC00615.JPG

• DH1, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#146 LYON222 OFFLINE  

LYON222
  • Member No: 35942
  • 133 Thanks
  • 115 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Looks great! It's been very interesting watching this come along. Nice job!

#147 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:58 PM

That turned out nice. Your not the only one who has trouble with the exhaust cut outs. I darned near ruined a hood.  :mad2:

#148 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Looks great Daniel!! Love the new grille, makes it look like a beast.

#149 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:02 PM

You really did a great job on it Daniel.

#150 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Boy Daniel, It really turned out very nice. Reminds me of another tractor I ran for a while in school, 706 IH, massive looking with that grill and long hood. :thumbs: :smiley-score010: :rocker2: :worshippy1:

images2.jpg images3.jpg