Garden Tractor Forums banner

Mf1655 Diesel Conversion Underway

22K views 223 replies 31 participants last post by  Texas Deere and Horse 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've got this Yanmar 18hp 3 cylinder diesel engine. My idea was to put it in my 1855 Massey. (Was a 1655 till I repowered with 18hp Onan)Would still make it an 1855, but an "1855D". But there are issues. I will have to build & relocate a fuel tank, then turn battery sideways to make room lengthwise. It also looks like I'll have to relocate the hydraulic pump to run off the driveshaft end of the motor, as the radiator requires 7" of room up front, eating up the room for a pulley extension off the engine. I want to reverse the rotation of the hydro, which is easy on this Sundstrand 15, just having to flip the charge pump housing, then I think reversing the hydro to pedal linkage. I want to reverse it so that the engine sits in like a big tractor with fan up front. Right now my radiator has an electric fan, but I think I'll go with engine driven fan if I ever get to this project. My Onan runs like new, having only maybe 50 hours max on a rebuild, but it drinks gasoline like there is no tomorrow! The diesel will sip fuel compared to the Onan.
If I do this, it will be winter or later. It was either the Massey or the Allis 720 for this diesel, but being the Massey is my real "farm worker", it only makes sense it goes into it.
Right now I'm just posting my rambling thoughts on the matter. :D

#2 ·
Allow me to ramble on the idea for you Dan. If you do it you should throw that Onan into the Allis 720 if it needs a motor. And for ideas on how to mount that engine in there so it all fits, what about relocating the battery and fuel tank to the back of the tractor to counterbalance the loader some more. I don't know if there is room though. Worst case you could buy a motorcycle battery to gain space.

#3 ·
wvbuzzmaster said:
Allow me to ramble on the idea for you Dan. If you do it you should throw that Onan into the Allis 720 if it needs a motor. And for ideas on how to mount that engine in there so it all fits, what about relocating the battery and fuel tank to the back of the tractor to counterbalance the loader some more. I don't know if there is room though. Worst case you could buy a motorcycle battery to gain space.
Would a motorcycle battery be able to start a diesel? Just a side question. Daniel on the 1655/1855 is the front axle 1" spindles or 3/4". They come for sale here now and then and are on my list for a small loader tractor. Just wondering how strong the front axle is on them.

#4 ·
1" axles with heavy duty throughout, and if you want to break anything in the front axle/axle beam area, you're gonna have to run it over with a dozer! If this comes to a reality, the fuel tank will go below the seat, but I think I'll try to keep the battery up there in front of the dash.
The 720 engine runs great after a re-ring job, so I'd either keep the engine for future needs, or sell it to help pay for the many projects I keep getting into. A larger motorcycle battery would start it, but their life is short, so I'll stick with an automotive type battery, but get a slim/longer battery.

#7 ·
I don't know if the engine your planing on using has de-compression or not but that should be factored in for battery selection. Finding room for the battery always seems to be a problem. The Kablister was the first where it was not. Being able to reverse the Sunstrand is a huge plus for what your planning. The other thing is getting everything under the hood. Do you have enough height under there?
Sounds like a fun project.

#8 ·
Daniel,
With your talent and abilities you should have no problems with this. Can't wait to see the finished project.

On a side note there is a guy over on the Weekend Freedom Machine site that put the 16hp Yanmar in a JD 420. It was a pretty intetesting build. Thought maybe this could give you some ideas on this if you decide to do it. It is in the Restoration Form under Hydrostat Tractors. Just put your red lens sunglasses on and maybe it won't be so bad.LOL.

Mark

#9 ·
wvbuzzmaster said:
I couldnt reply fast enough so adding this: Dan, I did not know of their short life so probably good decision to stick with car battery. Learn new stuff all the time!
I think the main reason cycle batteries don't get good life is the fact of seasonal usage, and not maintaining the battery in the off season. I know the same type batteries last years in our Honda 4-Trax ATV, but it's used pretty much every day of the year. Some do have CCA of 350+, so they would crank this diesel. But their reserve capacity is usually much lower than a larger automotive battery, even a smaller one.

#10 ·
I would love to get into this project right away, but just no time yet. Corn to be shelled, some winter wheat to drill, several dairy meetings to attend, a plow day I hope to attend, and Mom still in the hospital recovering from hip replacement.
I will however get to it, as once I get something into my head, it sticks! LOL

#11 ·
Dan
Correct me if I am wrong.
Besides turning the charge pump, I have been told that the swash plate will have to be flipped as well because there is a stopper on the plate that limit travel speed in reverse. If this is not done I understand the tractor will run faster in reverse than forward.
I just never paid attention when I was inside one.

#12 ·
I can't wait to see this project. I have the same basic idea for my 1655,only I will most likely use a Kubota diesel.

#13 ·
I think that MC batteries are designed to be as light weight as possible for that application. That may be why they have limited lifespan and reserve capacity. In my 2320 the battery is 500CCA but it is a 24HP yanmar.

#15 ·
Not ever having a diesel GT is there that much difference in fuel consumption to warrant the work involved in that swap ? Al

#16 ·
Alc said:
Not ever having a diesel GT is there that much difference in fuel consumption to warrant the work involved in that swap ? Al
I would guess that the diesel will burn no more than 60% of what this 18hp Onan gulps up. With the hours I use this tractor, I'll likely save $100 to $150 in fuel per year. Being I have $300 invested in the engine, the cash layout will pay itself back in 2 to 3 years. Is it worth the effort....maybe not, but this is really more about the fun I have with projects like this more than the economics.
But, the water cooling is a plus for me. Using it in the silage pit during the 100+ degree heat, the Onan got hot enough to vapor lock. I could hear the fuel boiling in the carb after it shut down. The water cooling will keep things cooler so I won't be shutting down to vapor lock. As for power, the Onan has more than what I need. I would actually have been happy with a Kubota Z482 twin cylinder, which has almost 14hp and been an easy fit without any major parts being moved. But I lost out on 2 such engines, then got this one for the $300 complete with ALL parts for it to run....radiator, hoses, & complete wiring harness, and even the hour meter.

#17 ·
Running cooler is good enough reason for me:smile1: How hard of a swap would it be for the 720 ? Then you would need to build a loader !! But take pictures this time for us , Al

#18 ·
ducky said:
dan
correct me if i am wrong.
Besides turning the charge pump, i have been told that the swash plate will have to be flipped as well because there is a stopper on the plate that limit travel speed in reverse. If this is not done i understand the tractor will run faster in reverse than forward.
I just never paid attention when i was inside one.
your correct the swash plate is what makes clockwise or counter clockwise rotation,
i rebuilt my sundstrand 15 in my mini 706 last winter

#19 ·
The fuel savings can be pretty substantial. When mowing with the Sovereign 7117, the 18hp kohler would use 3 gallons of gasoline to do the yard. With the Kubota G4200 and it's 12 hp diesel, it would take 2.66 quarts of diesel to do the same yard. The Sovereign is running a 48" deck and the Kubota 42" deck. These figures were checked several times. Before switching over to diesels I was filling 3 five gallon gas cans every couple of weeks. Now I use 1 five gallon can for diesel. :yelclap: I have come to really like these little diesels and if your not in a hurry they can be had for reasonable cost. I now have 4 and the most I have paid for any is $500.00.

#20 ·
Wow Chris, the fruel savings is greater than I thought! I've never actually tracked my usage, but before I do the switch, I will take some time & fuel measurements of the Onan. Then after I will do them for the diesel & I will know for sure the savings.

#21 ·
ducky said:
Dan
Correct me if I am wrong.
Besides turning the charge pump, I have been told that the swash plate will have to be flipped as well because there is a stopper on the plate that limit travel speed in reverse. If this is not done I understand the tractor will run faster in reverse than forward.
I just never paid attention when I was inside one.
Ducky, I missed your post till now. I should have a swash plate out already in a box. I will check for that cast in limiter. If that's the case, then I will take the hydro apart & give her a flip!

#22 ·
Hi Daniel: It is pretty crazy mileage. My yard is around 2.5 acres so that works out to roughly a quart an acre of fuel usage. I'm sure if I found myself in deep grass the fuel consumption would go up. As you know from your G4200 the tank capacity is 2 gallons and I can mow the yard on average 3 times before I need to add fuel. The mower now has a little over 2000 hours on it and uses no oil. I'm very happy.

#23 ·
olcowhand said:
A larger motorcycle battery would start it, but their life is short, so I'll stick with an automotive type battery, but get a slim/longer battery.
My mom had a 90's something Honda Civic, and it used an unusually narrow battery that mounted on the firewall. You might do some checking for that.

I crank my 2 cyl Z482 Kubota Diesel with a small automotive-type battery, and it works just fine-- course the glow plugs help...

Utah Smitty

#24 ·
olcowhand said:
1" axles with heavy duty throughout, and if you want to break anything in the front axle/axle beam area, you're gonna have to run it over with a dozer!
If it does have 3/4 inch axles, you might do the same trick that GT tractor pullers do, and weld a gusset in the inside of the "elbow" on the axle. This will strengthen it quite a bit and is an easy fix...

U S

#25 ·
Gasoline fueled Onan engines are good powerplants but I agree with others here that the diesel fuel economy beats gasoline engines hands down. Like others I have not actually done comparisons (I also mow about 2.5 acres of lawn, plus about a mile of trail mowing), but the difference is enough to be very noticeable. I especially notice the reduction in the amount of trips I have to make to the gas station with a van full of fuel cans during the summer.

Regarding additives I always add Power Service diesel fuel supplement to the diesel fuel to protect against condensation, prevent cold weather gel and to add lubricity to the new low sulfur fuels. I also add Seafoam to gasoline for my gas engines to help protect against carbon build-up in the combustion chambers and help offset potential problems created by newer ethanol blends.

I am not aware of anyone that has successfully re-powered a garden tractor with a diesel engine that reported that they regretted it later. I do regret that I am not as talented and well equipped to do projects as a number of people have done on this forum. I can only marvel at some of the work you guys do! :worshippy1:

JN

#26 ·
I am still engineering my "1855 to diesel" conversion in my mind in order to hopefully smooth & speed the whole thing once I'm ready to begin. One problem was the fuel tank, as there will not be room under the hood. What I have decided to do is use a fuel tank behind the seat, like used on some of the Wheel Horse D series. This tractor will stay a dedicated loader tractor with no 3pt hitch, so putting a tank back there will in no way interfere with anything. Any of you guys have a similar built fuel tank you wanna part with? Here's an example. The tank needn't be off a D, but just sit up tall like this. I can make brackets to fit a tall round bottom tank.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.