Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

clutch freezes and unfreezes like magic!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 04:28 PM

My 454 IH diesel loader tractor is used quite often, however the day before yesterday I jumped on her, pushed the clutch, hit the starter; SURPRISE! She had started and started moving with the clutch pushed in, hit the brakes,it kept going,slapped the fuel off and stopped. Hmmm, clutch froze to the pressure plate, I had just used it the day before. Well today I pulled inspection cover and got about a cup of water , clean water. So I figured I would:confuse:nurse it into the shop, but I figured I better start in neutral and get the wheels turned the right direction and I figured Ill try to shift into gear...... Went right in, Go figure!!!:bounce: Shawn

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 08:59 PM

Shawn, Thats very strange, Hope you get it figured out...

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 09:19 PM

Im thinking you might have a throwout bearing problem, or the fork is worn out somewhat. Block the wheels and get someone to run the pedal, look up though the inspection hole and see if all the right parts are moving. Cant beleive the plate is stuck on something you use alot. Could also be a cross shaft problem.

#4 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 11:38 PM

Sorry guys my bad. not the pressure plate. clutch disk grew fast to flywheel. Im thinking with the large amounts of rain we had here it had created a rust adhesion with the disk-flywheel. The normal wear in the cross shaft is minimal, everything works silky smooth once again, well smooth for that series IH lol. The machine had sat for over a week because of the rain. Still is strange how quick it had adheared, and came loose on its own. Every thing in inspection hole looks fairly fresh. My dad was a Volkswagen Mech. through the 60's and said that they had to drill holes believe it or not, through the rivet holes because they would vacuum to the flywheel. They had a service bulletin on that problem. Later clutches had a groove through the rivets to prevent that? Shawn

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 05:22 AM

Don't feel bad Shawn , when I got my Jim Dandy , I gave it a good bath, so good that the next day I had to split the engine from the trans to free the rusted fast clutch disc:wallbanging: Those are the things you don't forgot when your washing a PK :smile1:

#6 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 08:14 AM

Don't feel bad Shawn , when I got my Jim Dandy , I gave it a good bath, so good that the next day I had to split the engine from the trans to free the rusted fast clutch disc:wallbanging: Those are the things you don't forgot when your washing a PK :smile1:

Come to think of it ALC , I of all should have chalked it up as like a PK lol.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 09:39 AM

Glad that you got it figured out Shawn! It's amazing what high humidity will do when the temperature is at or below the dew point, or worse when the surfaces of parts are at or below the dew point! We deal with this on a daily basis where I work. We wrap our galvanized steel in what you would think is "air tight" packaging, but if the steel gets cold enough for condensation to occur, surely enough, the steel is wet and we get zinc oxide stains on our finished products. Our solution is to keep the coils warmer than the dew point. That's easier said than done when we look at our hobby. Most of us can't afford to have heated storage for all of our stuff! (or any of it for that matter LOL)

#8 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 11:47 PM

My wife, who grew up as a farm girl, read your post, and knew exactly what happened. Said they had a few tractors that the clutch would freeze up on like that. Usually the shock of taking off would free them up. If not, they would butt it up to a tree, or hook another tractor against it, start it and pull in the clutch and the torque of the engine would usually free it up before it stalled out!

She was driving an old Deere B as a girl when she was so small she had to get out of the seat and shift around to reach all the controls.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#9 wrbourget OFFLINE  

wrbourget

• Member No: 6649
  • 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 06:55 AM

I remember growing up and we had a JD that would do the same and an old Chevy dump truck, My dad could never stop it from doing it ether and it was all ways after a good rain. You wouldn't think rust would do something like that but it does and i don't think there is a solution for it ether.
  • tractorgarden said thank you