MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 10:27 PM

Hello all,

I have been posting in a couple other sections but it wasn't until today that I had a chance to pull my old sixties MTD out of the shed. I guess you could call it a "barn find"! LOL
It's name is "Uncle Bill" in honor of it's original owner. In 1980 the wife and I bought an acre with a double wide on it from my Mom and for a housewarming gift she bought this old MTD from her brother-in-law for us. Her hefty price was 50 bucks. Uncle Bill told me it was "about a 1965" but I don't remember where he purchased it new.

I mowed with it for 25 years and finally retired it. The engine, an 8 horse Briggs, was only rebuilt once that I know of and was starting to smoke intermittantly at retirement. I didn't get a chance to try and start it today but I'm pretty confident that it would fire right up.

If anyone knows anymore about this old workhorse I sure would appreciate the education!

Hope you all like the pics---DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• UncleBill2.jpg
  • UncleBill1.jpg
  • UncleBill4.jpg
  • UB barnfind.jpg
  • UncleBill3.jpg

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for the photo's, great looking tractor..

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 04:35 AM

That's not a bad looking tractor,thanks for sharing.

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 05:23 AM

Nice looking survivor! Sounds like it has earned it's retirement, time for some TLC. Thanks for the pics.

#5 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for the photo's, great looking tractor..

You're welcome! I guess beauty is in the eye of the beerholder but I haven't seen another one on this site yet, purdy or well like this one!

That's not a bad looking tractor,thanks for sharing.

Thanks, the hood laid outside until I got it. Actually the tractor was never inside until I got it. He always threw a tarp over the tractor.
Uncle Bill told me "you won't use the hood because it'll vaporlock." Of course I didn't believe him. several times I put on the hood and after 15-20 minutes of mowing, it would start running like crap. Take the hood off, no issues whatsoever. I even tried taking out the headlights for more airflow and still no luck!

Nice looking survivor! Sounds like it has earned it's retirement, time for some TLC. Thanks for the pics.

Well thank you too for being so polite! I probably will keep the "weathered" (my politically correct term for piece of sh---junk!) look but freshen it up under the hood a bit and play with pulleys a bit to get a little more speed out of it. I will also see if there is any way to lower it a little without torching it up. It will always have the cutting deck but it may not be functional as a toy. I think it would look good in the box of my'55 GMC!

Later---DAC

#6 skid OFFLINE  

skid

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3622
  • 4 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 05:33 AM

If anyone knows anymore about this old workhorse I sure would appreciate the education!

If you can find the model and serial numbers (possibly under the seat) they will give you the year it was made, the retailer that originally sold it, etc.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#7 Bookm OFFLINE  

Bookm

• Member No: 7373
  • 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 07:30 PM

Let me know if you should decide to sell parts from 'er. That pulley cover is the only thing I'm missing :(

Cheers
Sean
mtd800-2.jpg
  • MFDAC said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 07:54 PM

Thats a nice looking MTD. That was when they made serious GT's. You mostly see the larger 960 and 990 models around here.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 07:59 PM

Nice MTD LT, they did build 'em tough then, didn't they.

Thanks for sharing.

#10 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 07:45 PM

Let me know if you should decide to sell parts from 'er. That pulley cover is the only thing I'm missing :(

Cheers
Sean
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24550[/ATTACH]

Dang I wish I could help but I want to keep as many original parts as possible when I make a toy out of it. As you can see I am missing the cover on the other side. I do have the original front wheels and hubs but Uncle Bill must have mowed many years with junk bearings as they wallered out the hubs badly. Where are you at, Bookm?

I would sure like to see more pics of yours! Is about 1965 a realistic idea of dating this tractor?

Thats a nice looking MTD. That was when they made serious GT's. You mostly see the larger 960 and 990 models around here.

Yeah I'm tickled that another one has surfaced! I like his little running boards and the discharge deflector!

Nice MTD LT, they did build 'em tough then, didn't they.

Thanks for sharing.

I abused the crap out of mine for a couple decades plus not counting Uncle Bill's many years of use. It really didn't have to be retired, just managed to aquire different tractors!

Later---DAC

#11 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 11:09 PM

"Uncle Bill" is a '69 - '72 MTD 600 series. From what I found on MTD's manuals website, I think it's a model 660. There's a handwritten note on the front cover of the '69 manual saying that the 8hp is a 660 and that's consistent with the mid '70s 660 being 8hp. The 559 is a recoil start 7hp and the 669 is electric start (not sure if 7hp or 8hp). I also found reference to a 699 that pointed to the 659/669 manual so maybe that's an electric start 8hp???
Anyway, '69 is the first year for that grill. To narrow that down more, you can find and post the spec numbers from the engine if its original. This will give the year of the engine and you can assume the tractor is the same year give or take.

Here is the link to the '69 manual on MTD's site. You hit "accept" and download the PDF.
PDF Manual Web Archive

If you want the '70 - '72 manuals, go to this search page and enter 14x669 as the model number with x being the last digit of the year (so either 9, 0, 1, 2) and enter any number for the serial number ( I like 5).
PDF Manual Web Archive

MTD's model numbering system was:
1st two digits represent the type of product with 13 being lawn tractors and 14 being garden tractors
next digit is the last digit of the model year
next three digits are the model number
next digit if an "A" represents decade
next three digits represent a retailer code
  • MH81 and MFDAC have said thanks

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 05:26 AM

Cheers
Sean
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24550[/ATTACH]

Sean,welcome to the forum.
Glad to have you with us.

#13 Bookm OFFLINE  

Bookm

• 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the comments... Didn't mean to hijack MFDAC's thread ;)
My Eight Hundred could cut grass right now.... but it really needs a good carb cleanout (requires some choke to keep running), and someone did a really Mickey Mouse job mending the steering linkage (at least 90deg's of slop from left to right). Once I fix these two items up, I'll cut the grass a few times to make sure there's no other significant issues, then apart she comes for a complete makeover :)

Thanks for the link to the manual, Canawler. Nice find!

Oh... Also, this is a One-Owner machine! The proud purchaser/owner passed away recently and the grandson ended up with it. He had more use for $160 than he did the tractor :)

Sean
Stratford, Ontario, Canada
mtd800-1.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• mtd800-4.jpg
  • mtd800-2.jpg
  • mtd800-3.jpg

Edited by Bookm, November 11, 2011 - 04:09 PM.

• MFDAC said thank you

#14 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted November 12, 2011 - 08:03 PM

Hey Sean, you sure haven't hijacked my thread here! I was in hopes of maybe more showing up to get some info flowing here! There are a couple other differences I can now see in the additional pics from yours to mine, like that lever on the left side of yours and the running boards!
Thanks to Canawler we have some valuable info! A 600 series with Eight Hundred on the hood-LOL. It seems that Uncle Bill is a little newer than he remembered! The streering in mine is very sloppy also. The threaded pin that the steering swing arm pivots on wears quickly. I welded it up and ground it down a couple times thru the years. The hole in the arm wallers out too then the arm twists when the steering wheel is turned before it actually starts turning the wheels.

If the weather holds out maybe I can get into the shed again and look for those numbers Sunday or Monday. I am sure the engine is still the original one as I am the second owner of this one too and I'm sure Uncle Bill never would have changed it.

Later---DAC

Edited by MFDAC, November 12, 2011 - 08:09 PM.

#15 Bookm OFFLINE  

Bookm

• 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, that lever on the left side is actually the parking brake. You pull it and flip a little tab over to retain it in place. A bit different than the one in the manual.
  • MFDAC said thank you