#1 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 10:05 PM

Hi Guys, in consideration to the restoration of my MF-10, I would like the head-light option. Mine does not have them installed. If I look under the hood to the front grill, it looks like there are some headlight hold punch-outs.

Is it possible to open up the headlight holes and add lights?

Does this require a different grill or mounting hardware?

I just did some searching and it looks like it can be done with some fabrication. and headlight grommets.

http://gardentractor...eadlights-3699/

Would adding headlights change the collect-ability of the tractor as my machine never came with the headlight option?

Thanks for the feedback.

- Mark

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 06:19 AM

Mark, I found these on line, might help.
4 Round Rubber Grommet for Vehicle Lights RP-42618 - $2.29 :

4inchLightgrommet.jpg

#3 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 225 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 06:46 AM

My MF10 had something similar to the above installed on it and I don't think anyone would know they were not factory unless they knew their masseys. The only give away was no flat support holding them in.

#4 Wolverine OFFLINE  

Wolverine

• Member No: 4138
  • 4 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 06:49 AM

I too would be interested in adding headlights to my 66 MF10. I'll be watching this one!

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 07:04 AM

I have thought of adding head lights to my Cub 108. Those grommets may be just the ticket.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 07:16 AM

It is very easy to add the headlight kit to the Masseys. You see used kits on ebay go for $100 plus all the time. You can get all of the new pieces including the switch for about $120. At least that is how I got the kit that is in my MF12G. The most important part is the headlight switch for a more proper restore. Then the headlight bracket. A headlight bracket could easily be fabbed up.

#7 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 12:31 AM

Can anyone tell me if the headlight assembly for the MF8, 10 & 12 are the same as that for the MF14? If they are, I have a MF14 and can fabricate an exact duplicate. I think I can supply everything except the headlights themselves for approximately $65 to $70 including shipping to the lower 48 states if I can make a dozen or so at a time. Not sure about Canada as I've never shipped anything to Canada. That should include the plate that holds the lights, the bolts that hold the plate in place, the wiring harness and, the rubber grommets that go around the lights.

#8 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 03:47 AM

Can anyone tell me if the headlight assembly for the MF8, 10 & 12 are the same as that for the MF14? If they are, I have a MF14 and can fabricate an exact duplicate. I think I can supply everything except the headlights themselves for approximately $65 to $70 including shipping to the lower 48 states if I can make a dozen or so at a time. Not sure about Canada as I've never shipped anything to Canada. That should include the plate that holds the lights, the bolts that hold the plate in place, the wiring harness and, the rubber grommets that go around the lights.

All the same MF7 to 16

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 05:38 AM

Here are ones made by Betts Lighting , I think there the same as what's on my PK #Fbetts.jpg

#10 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 11:59 PM

It's easy to install a set, or even "un-install" a set! I stole mine from my sons MF-7 and tack welded the knock-outs back into his!

You can trim the hole with door edge molding (remember that stuff that all the cars had on the door edges back in the 90's) Making a bracket is not too hard, I had a sheet metal shop bend some 90 degree bends in a length of steel, drilled two holes with a hole saw, and cut out the rest. I think mine is 10X stronger than the stock one, but it was not expensive at all. For the headlight notches, I just used some small rubber hose with a slit cut in it.

Posted Image

I did get a little fancy with the wiring, but I hate loose wiring flopping around!

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 06:04 PM

The headlights are available at Napa. I beleive the part # is 4406, tractor offroad light.