Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Snapper 1855 gearbox bearings and seals, plus hydrostatic driveshaft bearing.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sevalecan OFFLINE  

Sevalecan

• Member No: 813
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 09:39 PM

Well, I believe the seals for the input and output shafts on my gearbox need to be replaced. It's been leaking and I want it to stop. So I'd like to know of a generic seal number at least for the gearbox (so I don't end up paying a ridiculous price for the part from Snapper). The Snapper number for this is 7019598 . If you had the bearing numbers it'd be nice too, but I don't think those need replacing as of yet.

I'd also like any information someone can give me on the hydrostatic drive bearing. I haven't gotten around to looking at it myself, but in the parts catalog they want $70 for this bearing (presumably including the mount)(Snapper 7018504). Does anyone know if you can just replace the bearing part of it or if you need the whole unit?

Thanks.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 09:48 PM

Here's a place to get the seal. The original number appears to have been superceded. Snapper*19598 substituted by Snapper*7019598*SEAL OIL MF1655
  • Sevalecan said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 09:51 PM

On the bearing, I replaced one on one of my Massey's with a machinery bearings & bolt on flanges from TSC.

#4 Sevalecan OFFLINE  

Sevalecan

• 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 11:31 AM

Well this sucks. I started disassembling the stuff on the drive shaft for the transmission and found that the spot where the driveshaft bearing rides is worn down significantly... I don't think a regular shim is going to fix this problem.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 11:57 AM

Well this sucks. I started disassembling the stuff on the drive shaft for the transmission and found that the spot where the driveshaft bearing rides is worn down significantly... I don't think a regular shim is going to fix this problem.

You are meaning the shaft itself is worn?

#6 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 06:53 PM

You are meaning the shaft itself is worn?

That's one reason why my drive shaft is 1" dia. shafting with a cast iron pulley and a bigger universal. (Couldn't find the smaller ones).

#7 Sevalecan OFFLINE  

Sevalecan

• 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 17, 2012 - 06:12 PM

Just thought I'd give an update in case anyone here is quite as dorky as me. My dad knows a machinist and had him fix the driveshaft for us. He ground off existing material and then sleeved it with new stuff. Now we're using the same type of bearing that was on there originally.

For some reason the tractor has developed an awful vibration at times at idle now, though I don't experience it all at high revs.